Leo's Greatest Mistake

Django Sentenza

• Members

Nice post!
:D
:

This said (and in all seriousness), in my experience with archtops and djangoboxes, it is the opposite that is true: the higher the bridge/greater the string angle, the louder the attack, the shorter the sustain, and the more focussed the tone.
:thu:
Lower the bridge enough and your Djangobox will start to sound like a dreadnought: more harmonics, longer sustain, and your tone does not cut through the mix anymore.
:facepalm:

To achieve appropriate bridge height/string angle, the neck is also at an angle to the body (whatever the technical term for this is... neck break angle?).

How do you explain this? Floating bridge/hollow body vs. fixed bridge/solid body? I am full of {censored}? Other?
:confused:

Edit: see for example what I found on a luthier's website (it's actually about mandolins, but you know that archtops are pretty much built like mandolins, right?)

Longer sustain, eh? I've never experienced that with a shallower angle. You definitely get more harmonics. Have you considered that your guitar may be haunted?

not+_8c8990e8b50cd1ddd66f9be34d4c94ad.jp

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Uma fails here.

Without the strat, the ultimate guitar design--the superstrat--would have never been invented.

Hence, the strat was a necessary evil to complete the evolution in guitar technology

Superstrats stopped being relevant when leotards for men went out of style as stagewear.

• Members

Longer sustain, eh? I've never experienced that with a shallower angle. You definitely get more harmonics. Have you considered that your guitar may be haunted?

So you don't know? I am disappointed.

Also, I can't see the image you posted, so I am doubly disappointed. :(

• Members

The Strat is an imperfect instrument, but still one of the greatest concepts ever put into the hands of guitarists. Despite its shortcomings some of the worlds most respected players have managed to be very creative with it. I will always have at least one Strat.

• Members

I'm a bit late to the party, but the OP definitely has some points. When I was a kid, like 18-20, I thought strats were cool. By the time I was a grown man I realized it's really a child's instrument.

You know the kid that always wanted to be included and be "one of the guys", but was just an aloof dorky kid? Those guys play strats in the 2 & 4 position going "wow, I've really got that 'strat quack' thing happening!" as they jam away to John Mayer and SRV records.

When they get old they eventually start listening "mature" players that have a more "hip" vocabulary like Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, and other coma inducing musicians.

Archived