Leo's Greatest Mistake

Django Sentenza

• Members

Uma, why are you copy-pasting your old {censored}ty string angle thread here?

I mean you take the time to create the thread and respond to posts, but you can't even be bothered to write a new pretentious justification for your toys?

When a professor publishes a book on quantum physics, he'll often make selections of that material available to his students. Same principle applies here.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you think the shorter scale length is an improvement ?

I think they did it to appeal to Gibson players. I've come to prefer the feel of short scale, but overall it's a neutral characteristic. The real improvement of the Jag over the Jazzmaster is greatly reduced noise. The extra chrome is a deluxe feature, not necessarily fixing any problems, but an enhancement.

• Members

As for the floating vibrato/tremolo unit (Leo named it wrong apparently so there's a bit of confusion there), this video showed me how to set it up right. I'm not saying the system is perfect but a good set up makes for a significant improvement.

• Members

Somewhere along the way, the principles people once understood about shallow string angles coupled with heavy strings became lost. Clean tone lost its importance. No one played clean anymore except maybe the rhythm guitarist. And if the rhythm guitarist's tone was anemic from sharp angles and thin strings, well that was okay. No one cares about the rhythm guitarists, and rhythm guitarists don't care about good tone. But back before the dark times of tiny strings and sharp angles and ubiquitous Strats, you didn't need distortion to stand out as a lead guitarist. Your clean tone had more authority than the heaviest artificial distortion. For many decades, the principles of great clean tonemanship were lost.

I bet you suck since you can't get a good sound from a strat.

• Members

It's so easy to be a troll because you have an endless supply of people willing to argue with you. It takes no engergy and requires very little original or critical thought. You get attention easily (which you're probably starved for) and you get a feeling of superiority (which you are also starving for). What a great pastime for people with nothing better to do.

• Members

Only two people have been able to get a good sound from a Strat. Neither of them post there.

I know a guy who has such a discerning sense of humor that he never laughs. Everything is beneath him. One day, I saw him laughing and asked what was so funny. He told me a joke: A buzzard was boarding a plane with a dead possum under one wing and a dead raccoon under the other. The stewardess said 'You can't bring those on here.' and the buzzard said 'It's OK. They're carrion.' I said "that's {censored}ing stupid." Only then did he realize the exclusivity doesn't necessarily equal good taste.

• Members

It's so easy to be a troll because you have an endless supply of people willing to argue with you. It takes no engergy and requires very little original or critical thought. You get attention easily (which you're probably starved for) and you get a feeling of superiority (which you are also starving for). What a great pastime for people with nothing better to do.

I'd just like to let you know that I reject racism in all its forms. I feel it's time we put this sort of thing behind us.

• Members

In all honesty, as much as I like the sound of a Jaguar vibrato, I much prefer the use of the Mustang vibrato. Overall the Mustang nails everything for me, and I have a Mustang that I just strung with 9.5s, stays in tune just fine. Try that on a Jaguar. As I always say, I just really don't see the point of a 9 pound short scale. Wanna make it small and comfortable on your left hand? How about helping out the shoulder and back while you're at it? Plus it takes Strat pickups, makes it easy to mod.

Jaguar's a killer guitar in terms of looks and it plays great but I've never really resonated with it in terms of sound. It's just not ideal for really heavy stuff, there's a lot of extracurricular activity going on all around. While this makes it sound interesting clean, it makes it a bit of an adventure distorted. I had Seymour Duncan SJAG-2 pickups in mine and they should have made it a nice rock guitar, but the Mustang killed it in most ways.

• Members

My own theory is that persistent trolls are the online equivalent of people who do not (or cannot) distinguish between positive attention (praise, approval) and negative attention (criticism, disapproval), but simply perceive attention = good. I think this is to do with early development/parenting: I suspect they've either come from large families where every child had to fight for parental attention; or one or other parent has been emotionally distant/disengaged (through depression, perhaps, or drug use) and our troll has learned that only the most extreme behaviour is sufficient to win him any attention at all. For whatever reason, any attention is welcome, with the board becoming a parent-substitute in the troll's 'look at me' reenactment of old patterns.

• Members

I suspect they've either come from large families where every child had to fight for parental attention; or one or other parent has been emotionally distant/disengaged (through depression, perhaps, or drug use) and our troll has learned that only the most extreme behaviour is sufficient to win him any attention at all. For whatever reason, any attention is welcome, with the board becoming a parent-substitute in the troll's 'look at me' reenactment of old patterns.

It's a sad day when a simple statement of fact is regarded as trolling. Let's stop the hate.

• Members

In all honesty, as much as I like the
sound
of a Jaguar vibrato, I much prefer the use of the Mustang vibrato. Overall the Mustang nails everything for me, and I have a Mustang that I just strung with 9.5s, stays in tune just fine. Try that on a Jaguar. As I always say, I just really don't see the point of a 9 pound short scale. Wanna make it small and comfortable on your left hand? How about helping out the shoulder and back while you're at it? Plus it takes Strat pickups, makes it easy to mod.

Jaguar's a killer guitar in terms of looks and it plays great but I've never really resonated with it in terms of sound. It's just not ideal for really heavy stuff, there's a lot of extracurricular activity going on all around. While this makes it sound interesting clean, it makes it a bit of an adventure distorted. I had Seymour Duncan SJAG-2 pickups in mine and they should have made it a nice rock guitar, but the Mustang killed it in most ways.

IMO Mustangs don't have the character of Jaguars. All that "extracurricular activity" is what makes the Jaguar sound so amazing clean.

• Members

I have a dream that someday all men will be judged by the contents of their posts, not the emotional attachment people have to Strats.

The day you will stop thinking that your opinions and preferences are facts, is day you will have nice discussions on this board.

here I go feeding it

• Members

My own theory is that persistent trolls are the online equivalent of people who do not (or cannot) distinguish between positive attention (praise, approval) and negative attention (criticism, disapproval), but simply perceive attention = good. I think this is to do with early development/parenting: I suspect they've either come from large families where every child had to fight for parental attention; or one or other parent has been emotionally distant/disengaged (through depression, perhaps, or drug use) and our troll has learned that only the most extreme behaviour is sufficient to win him any attention at all. For whatever reason, any attention is welcome, with the board becoming a parent-substitute in the troll's 'look at me' reenactment of old patterns.

Nice analogy!

PS When I'm surfing and a women paddles by, it changes everything, not just in a nice spectacle, but actually changes the whole dynamics in the water for the better.

Archived