Considering a new modeling amp.....suggestions?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

I love tube amps and I would never trade a good tube amp for a modeling one (have owned both and I can definitely tell a difference in person), but I may be moving to a different place soon where I can't crank a tube amp to get breakup so I am considering a new modeling amp.

I've had some line6 modelers before and a digitech rp500 multifx but none of those amp models really sounded that great to me. Any new ones that sound really good to people? Mustang? Yamaha THR? I guess I could get a really low powered tube amp, but for now I'll take some suggestions on some digital amps. This will be for practice and recording.

• Members

For recording direct, a $100 mustang 1 will do everything the mustang 2,3,4 and 5 will do. For practice, I like my mustang 2. I've done two threads here with sound clip comparisons between the m2 and a drri and twin reverb - google 'em.

• Members

The Yamaha really is a next level product. The mustang 1 is adequate, though on the small end, I preferred the sounds of the VOX mini. The mustang and yamaha both act as USB interface for direct computer recording, which is helpful. The VOX has no USB, and no software for tweaking your models.

I don't care about anything bigger since I have real stage amps already, and don't need similar but downsized things.

Good luck with whatever you find.

• Members

Install Ampkit on your iPhone/iPad and plug it into a set of monitors. It sounds better than any modeler short of an Axe FX and is easier to use than most modeling amps or desktop VST software.

I have to strongly disagree. Ampkit is a nice little app but my hd 500 and my collection of desktop amp plugins definitely sound better..

Now for the price, it's a damn good option. As are the myriad of other iOS amp modeling options.

• Members

Yeah the iOS stuff is a lot of fun, and pretty convenient, but the quality and feel are a bit behind. I love it for recording the jam threads and just getting ideas quick.

Another nice thing about the Yamaha and VOX amps is that can run on AA batteries.

• Members

How do the Mustangs compare with the SuperChamp X2? Also does the Yamaha sound big at all if you want it to? I'm not sure what the Yamaha THR speakers are like

I have a SCXD & a Mustang 3. The SC has a better tone for blackface cleans or a little grit. There are other good tones, but that's the strongest point imo. The mustang still sounds very good at those tones & is my gig amp due to extra versatility, fuller sound with the bigger speaker & cab, & more volume.

Archived