Curt Cocaine

Chordchunker

• Members

I`m just curious if anyone but me didn`t really "get" his music.. I know I know..He started a new "Genre" of rock and roll, but I just don`t understand the hype. He did write a few good tunes, but did he really live up to the hype, or is he another one that had to die to get famous?

Maybe I`m just old and jaded. Make me a believer.. What should I listen too besides teen spirit?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep..you're old a jaded...

He was huge when he was alive....and his contribution to music cannot be understated.

He didn't start a new form of music....he pretty much single handedly brought a neglected, and often abused (by the "mainstream") form of music straight to the top of the charts.

At the time I wasn't that big a fan....I was more into metal and heavy rock than the west coast hardcore punk scene he came from...but looking back now...it's pretty amazing how much that kind of punk has become solidified in the consciousness of the mainstream even to this day. And it really is pretty much all due to him.

People who don't understand punk or write off punk because of the lack of "musicianship" .....will never understand...and will always consider him overrated. That's not his fault...that's the fault of the people who can't see past their own musical biases....

[video=youtube;eLHlzSeuJ50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLHlzSeuJ50

• Members

If you are referring to Kurt Cobain, he changed the direction of music in the early 90's and was the voice of the baby boomer's kids. Teens couldn't relate to Guns and Roses or Motley Crue (shocking!), so it was a huge 180 in what was popular. They were at the forefront of the seattle scene. He was hugely famous before his death, which in a way may be why he passed. Of course dying young helps solidify a legend, but you have to be great at what you do first. Not sure what hype you are talking about, Kurt was anti-hype and never made any grandiose gestures unlike the metal rockers that came before them. That was kind of the point, he was a normal dude singing about his problems. They got massive push from their label because there was money to be made, and of course mtv latched on. The live unplugged cd (in new york I think) is a good starting point. At the end of the day it's a band/singer, you don't have to be a fan just because a lot of people are

• Members

He had quite a few songs better than Teen Spirit, imo. He's not for everyone...here's some I enjoy though.

[video=youtube;aWmkuH1k7uA]

[video=youtube;Ee6xkwVucIE]

[video=youtube;SJLe1UTqKvA]

[video=youtube;PvwqSMRtoSI]

And a cover

[video=youtube;mcXYz0gtJeM]

• Members

I`m just curious if anyone but me didn`t really "get" his music.. I know I know..He started a new "Genre" of rock and roll, but I just don`t understand the hype. He did write a few good tunes, but did he really live up to the hype, or is he another one that had to die to get famous?

Maybe I`m just old and jaded. Make me a believer.. What should I listen too besides teen spirit?

Regarding Kurt, he was a very bad lead guitarist. Other than that he had some pretty decent rhythm chops in certain songs and wrote some killer songs.

My favorite song by Nirvana is probably Aero Zeppelin:

[video=youtube;xdWG2JfZYzE]

I tend to like Incesticide and Bleach more than their other two albums but they all have some good stuff on them.

Keep in mind my favorite music is on the jazz/fusion and prog side of things so you don't have to be into Grunge/alt rock to get into some Nirvana.

• Members

I tend to like Incesticide and Bleach more than their other two albums but they all have some good stuff on them.

Keep in mind my favorite music is on the jazz/fusion and prog side of things so you don't have to be into Grunge/alt rock to get into some Nirvana.

Not bad! I can almost hear that done as a bluegrass tune..lol

• Members

yeah that explains a lot. Really not meaning that in an insulting way....just as a matter of fact......

I mean...would your parents have understood people of you're generation freaking out about Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath....or whatever bands were resonating with you in the 70's?

It's normal that as you got older into the late 80's and 90's you would stop paying attention to what was resonating with people who would be half your age.

Hell..I'm about a decade behind you and most of my friends...who like me grew up with the Maiden's and Metallica's and metal.....just couldn't 'get' groups like nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden....etc...even though all those groups were really different. I remember when I was getting into all the 90's stuff I stopped hanging out with a lot of the people my age and started hanging out and jamming with guys younger than me...cause they were into the fresh stuff.

• Members

I love all different music from classic country and bluegrass to 60's, 70's... 80's metal "wankery", jazz/fusion, new top 40, new country....... big band.... mowtown, R&B, ....

And I love Nirvana. I didn't get them at first... but as the 90's progressed I started really enjoying all the Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Nirvana stuff... and a lot of other rock that was coming out then.

I was really getting into 90's country too (Mark Chesnut, Diamond Rio, Joe Diffie, Suzy Boggus..... and much more.)

Nirvana is right up there with all that stuff. It's classic IMO.

I think one of my favorites is "Heart Shaped Box" So dark and scary..... but brings back lots of great memories for me of that time.

• Members

How old were you when Nirvana came out? That might have a lot to do with not getting them.

EDIT. Ok Im not surprised you didnt/dont get them. Its really a generational thing. I was 14 when SLTS came out and just starting to get into music and discovering my identity and all that crap. Nirvana was just like a breath of fresh air. Theyre was just something different about them and that whole "grunge" movement that really struck a chord in my soul for some reason. Now that Im older I think I appreciate Cobain even more as a songwriter. Compared to todays rock scene which IMO is just total garbage, Nirvana were the {censored}ing Beatles.

• Members

Its not just you. I hated him and Nirvana, sure I liked Teen Spirit but I never

• Members

I wasn't a particular fan (I was too old), but I will always be grateful for the part he played in sweeping aside the sound of the eighties.

Not 80s music itself, just the actual SOUND that people like Phil Collins were responsible for. There is a lost generation of good songs out there which will probably only resurface as cover tunes, because the originals are just so ugly and uncomfortable to listen to.

Nirvana were a big part of the resurgence of natural sounding production, people call it a punk ethic, but it happens to every generation when music starts to disappear up it's own arse.

• Members

People who don't understand punk or write off punk because of the lack of "musicianship" .....will never understand...

Flip remark.

Sorry, but I have never seen a reasonable explanation of punk, done sensibly so that people don't have to deal with "well, if you don't get it, I can't be bothered to explain it".

I have heard "the first rule of punk is that there are no rules" and such nonsense.

What was represented in the beginning as punk was totally stylised musically and in behaviour and appearance.

It was a very clever and successful niche marketing exercise launched at the time when the target audience was struggling in over-produced crap.."Media darling!"

So lets have a proper explanation.

Anyone?

• Members

When Nirvana hit I had been listening to The Replacements, The Pixies, Husker Du, and a lot of other bands of the era. I never really got into Nirvana either. I don't mean that they were not a cool band, just that by the time they came out (I was in high school) I kind of saw them as the next generation of the bands I was already listening to.

• Members

media darling. were it not for the melvins, no one woulda have ever known. of course, there're the pixies too, but now we're approaching heresy.

wrote a couple catchy hooks, but that's about it.

but such as it goes.

I completely agree.

He also over did the 'soft part' contrasted with a 'heavy part' thing to the point that it seemed like a formula and he did the repetition thing at the end of songs so much that it sounded like it was on vinyl and was skipping or he slipped into a coma and his brain was on repeat.

I liked a couple of tunes but find it to be incredibly boring.

...and Doc...to me punk is something that they put into a class. It was an attitude and mindset brought forth through music - that's why anyone who 'starts a punk band' isn't really a punk band. It's one of those things that sounded like it did because of the way the people who were involved felt so anything done later that sounds like that is not genuine. I'm sure that the 'industry' and people in modern 'punk bands' have a different description.

Archived