Your Favorite Guitar Under $150

Crisco

• Members

yes, yes and YES!!! P90 tele looking sorta stock. Like a sleeper Dodge Dart with a HEMI under the hood!

Nice touches with the Les Paul 3 way switch, Electrosocket, Jazz bass knobs and the 90s Epiphone tele neck and I can't forget the Flat Line 50s logo.

$20
:freak:
lollar p90

grace10.jpg

• Members

How do they even make money on these? What steps are skipped in production or what part that are cheaper than cheap? I have played a few of those LP J.r's with p90's, and even tine I do, I damn near buy one. I have spent more than that on a tuner in the olden days.

CNC machines, low labor costs.

Labor in China is probably less than $1 and hour vs. $20-30/hr (including benefits & all other labor costs) in USA. Also no environmental controls or restrictions that add cost. Factories in Asia are often more modern and efficient than in the USA but often labor costs are so low that many things are done by hand as it is cheaper than using expensive machines.

They are probably selling guitars like strats to the retailers for about $25-30 who re-sell them for $100. And these are decent guitars for the most part.

As a example of Chinese manufacturing on the cheap check out this Chinese spark plug factory: http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1063782

Did you notice any safety glasses? OSHA would go crazy in the States. Go back 100 years and this is what you would have seen in the USA.

• Members

I picked up a butterschotch Squire Affinity Tele several years back around that price.

The frets needed dressing when it was new. I've since refretted the neck and it

playes better then an actual Fender Tele I owned back in the earley 80's.

I do have maybe 15 builds that cost me about the same which are very good.

I play the lest two I built more than my store bought guitars including Rics, Pauls and Strats.

• Members

its not an epiphone neck. The switch is cool but the way its mounted it sucks. Im gonna turn it so it doesnt go up and down, I end up pushing it down by accident putting it from neck to bridge. im gonna turn it so it goes sideways like a normal tele

grace4.jpg

yes, yes and YES!!! P90 tele looking sorta stock. Like a sleeper Dodge Dart with a HEMI under the hood!

Nice touches with the Les Paul 3 way switch, Electrosocket, Jazz bass knobs and the 90s Epiphone tele neck and I can't forget the Flat Line 50s logo.

• Members

Your favorite guitar that cost you under $150

Thanks!

No contest, Fender Tex-Mex Telecaster Special! Long story, bottom line: $125, was worth about thrice that when I bought.

19859_230277868878_512618878_3108552_215

226155_10150286946503879_512618878_77600

Brownie is a personal fave (regardless of price), with coil split on the neckbucker and 5-way switching, she's my most versatile guitar.

• Members

I have a Douglas LP type guitar with three HBs. I paid $140 + shipping. Rondo no longer offers that model. It sounds really good, but I realized after I got it that the third pickup often gets in my way. However, it's the only sub-150 guitar I still own.

• Members

69$ guitar and $35 pickup

2012-03-09_15-50-40_837.jpg

It would be hard for me to vote against the '51. I had three of 'em that I got cheap and flipped. I think I gave $140 for this one. It doesn't photograph well, but the neck has darkened very nicely. This one is all stock except the BG Vintage 60 in the neck position and the GFS saddles. Total invested... about $180. It's certainly not my favorite guitar, but if I happened to be my only guitar, I definitely would not feel out-gunned.

I wouldn't mind putting something more interesting in the bridge position and I do have an extra zebra Dimarzio 36th Anniversary. :idea:

DSC_8574a1.jpg

• Members

I have a couple good ones in that range. My Indonesian Squier strat,beats any stock MIM I've ever played... got it for $100. My SX Callisto Jr. plays and sounds much better than any $139 guitar has the right to. Not sure if this counts, but I only have about $50 invested in my latest build... the rest of the stuff I had laying around...

IMG_1413.jpg

I really like that:thu:

• Members

My most recent purchase was this 2000 Made in Indonesia (at the Cort factory) Squier Standard with case, upgraded nut and jack for exactly $150. After playing it, I didn't even bother thinking about asking the guy to take less than the $150 he was asking. It's a killer little Tele.

SqStdTele.jpg

My lone acoustic, which I've had a good 10 years...Synchromatic MIK Gretsch. $70 at a pawn shop.

Guitar2.jpg

I got this 1975 MIJ "lawsuit" P-bass clone (Matsumoku Factory) for $40 off CL late last year. Had to install a new jack and slap some strings on it. Still have barely over $100 in it.

MemphisFront2.jpg

I've owned many a sub-$150, bought both new and used, that were fine guitars that got a lot of play.

Archived