Why doesn't the Carvin V3M get more attention?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I have a Carvin X-100B and love it. Sounds great. Clean is Fendery sparkle and the gain reminds me of my old JCM800. I would put this amp high on my favorites list. Easy to dial in the EQ and plenty of gain on tap for me.

As far as build quality it's solid.

f29a012d.jpg

Wow I like that amp. I like it more than the V3. It's just more simple and straightforward. There is just no way in hell I could ever get the most out of 100-watts lol. I think the ideal power range I would like is 30-45-watts, though I would still get a 50-watt if it happened to be something like a DSL2000 or or a Mesa Trem-o-verb.

And there is nothing wrong with someone having preference to Marshalls or Mesas. Those are time proven amps. I think the DSL is probably the newest "iconic" amp that Marshall has built.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow I like that amp. I like it more than the V3. It's just more simple and straightforward. There is just no way in hell I could ever get the most out of 100-watts lol. I think the ideal power range I would like is 30-45-watts, though I would still get a 50-watt if it happened to be something like a DSL2000 or or a Mesa Trem-o-verb.

And there is nothing wrong with someone having preference to Marshalls or Mesas. Those are time proven amps. I think the DSL is probably the newest "iconic" amp that Marshall has built.

The X-100B is switchable between 25-50-100 watts. I usuall run it on 50. I haven't played anywhere I need a 100 watt since the mid 90s but I like having the option to plug into a 412 and crank it up.

• Members

I'm a huge Carvin fan, and I had the amp but it wasn't the sound for me. I sold it and got a mini mesa rec, that was more of the sound I was looking for.

What are your thoughts on the Mini Rectifier versus the TransAtlantic TA15? I'm very curious about those two amps right now.

• Members

I agree with this. You should not have to endlessly tweak to find a good tone. Sometimes, simplicity is genius.

This is exactly why I hate Mesa Rectifiers. Sure, there are a ton of great tones in them, but I don't have the time or attention to sit at an amp for weeks trying to get something that's even just usable.

• Members

I have not tried the V3, but I've tried some of their tweed amps, as well as an older MTS tube half-stack. I did not like the cleans, and the dirt channels just had an odd tone to them. Just didn't find anything that I considered great tone, even after fiddling with the controls a lot. :idk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Who told you that?

Somebody who's opinion sucks ass. Don't know about the V3M but the V3 amp was an okay amp. For some reason Carvin amps make people's douche nozzles extend out of an orifice and start emitting the douche juice.

• Members

There's alot of talk on the Carvin forums about the V3M toanz (as you would imagine). Seems a great deal of peeps are complaining about fizzy overdrive sounds and immediately swapping the stock tubes to remedy the problem. I could be way off, but that's they way it seems at least. I guess that could hold true for any amp though.

I would like to try one as my main guitar tends to be a Carvin Bolt (and I love for things to match, LOL).

• Members
I have not tried the V3, but I've tried some of their tweed amps, as well as an older
MTS
tube half-stack. I did not like the cleans, and the dirt channels just had an odd tone to them. Just didn't find anything that I considered great tone, even after fiddling with the controls a lot.
:idk:

Interesting. I searched reviews for a week and couldn't find a single negative word about the MTS or X-100B clean tones. The dirt is a different story, especially with the MTS. I bought an MTS 3200 head for $250 used from M-G-R to use as a pedal engine, and have been very pleased with the clean channel and the reverb - damn near a Twin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've always heard that the V3 series is like a can of bees that you can't get rid of.

I've played the Legacy and was floored by the tone, but the volume taper was just too much for me so I didn't end up getting it.

I am interested in at least trying the v3 micro because it looks like a badass little amp, but I am a little skeptical because of the reviews. But then again I think a lot of the hate for v3 amps are probably user error.

• Members

the last really good amp Carvin made was the original X-Series, IMO.

I haven't been able to try out the V3M but Woody_in_MN just got one so hopefully I'll be able to check one out in person soon. But I have to agree the X-Series are really good. I haven't been so happy with an amp since I had my JCM800.

• Members

Word! I keep meaning to stop by there, but every time I need something, Musiciansfriend has a sale I can't ignore. Haha. I was mostly interested in their PA gear, but now I'm fully decked out in that sense. I'd still like a good live mixer, though, and Carvin's pretty much the best choice for the money.

Right here is my big bitch with Carvin... We have a Carvin mixer that's about 4-5 years old and one of the monitor sends is dead.

I can't take it anywhere to have it fixed because they don't have dealers or service centers. It has to be shipped (on my dime) to California. And when I called them they told me they can't even guarantee they can fix it because it isn't a current model. They will "exchange" it for the current version if I send it to them (on my dime) along with almost the price of the new one.

Really??? You can't fix a 5 year old piece of gear?

• Members

Right here is my big bitch with Carvin... We have a Carvin mixer that's about 4-5 years old and one of the monitor sends is dead.

I can't take it anywhere to have it fixed because they don't have dealers or service centers. It has to be shipped (on my dime) to California. And when I called them they told me they can't even guarantee they can fix it because it isn't a current model. They will "exchange" it for the current version if I send it to them (on my dime) along with almost the price of the new one.

Really??? You can't fix a 5 year old piece of gear?

That's a common complaint with their PA stuff. I've had my Carvin stuff serviced at the local repair shops a few times. It may be worth asking the local guy to check it out. Odds are they'll be able to fix it, and fix it a lot cheaper than Carvin can.

As to the V3M, the sound clips on Youtube all sound terrible. Really fuzzy. I imagine that's not helping them any.

• Members

The only carvin amp I had sounded pretty good until one input stopped working after 2 years- I tried to get Carvin to sell me the little plug in circuit board thing it sat on-all by itself- so I could fix it- they refused because it was "propriety"-keep in mind, it was a jack soldered to a tiny piece of board with a plug, so somehow I doubt it was the key element of their domination of the global market- They wanted me to send the damn thing so they could plug it in- about 2 weeks later the transformer blew and smoked the entire thing- literally as I was trading it in-we had to toss it outside to get the burnt smell out of the store-I sold the parts on EBAY-I realize this could happen to anything, but I bought that thing new from them and I didnt even get two full years out of it.

Archived