Why doesn't the Carvin V3M get more attention?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Just looked into that amp. Holy cow!!! It has everything you could ever want in an amp! Three channels with 4 button footswitch. I mean jeez! That is the most versatile amp I have seen in a long time. The crazy thing is that it's US made and only $599!

Am I missing something? Why isn't this amp super popular? I want one now!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just looked into that amp. Holy cow!!! It has everything you could ever want in an amp! Three channels with 4 button footswitch. I mean jeez! That is the most versatile amp I have seen in a long time. The crazy thing is that it's US made and only $599!

Am I missing something? Why isn't this amp super popular? I want one now!

did you play through it?

• Members

I had a Carvin Bass head that I gigged solid for 12 years. Never had any problems except one time it blew the fuse.

Also, a year or so after I bought the amp, when I took the amp out of the "head" and was going to rack mount it - there was no plate on the bottom of the amp. This was so it could be screwed into the wooden cabinet. I called Carvin and they said "Yeah, if you are going to rack it, you need a bottom plate and some screws." I asked how much the plate was and they said "Nothin'. I'll mail one right out to you. Thanks for being a Carvin customer." Two days later I had the steel plate and the screws. :thu:

I've played through several Carvin guitar amps - not crazy about their solid state stuff, but their tube stuff is nice and has a lot of features you don't see in other amps.

• Members

YouTube and Google are your friend. This is a much-discussed amp.

I think the consensus is that it's great on paper, but generally uninspiring.

On the other hand, the new Legacy might be worth checking out.

• Members

I was kind of underthrilled with my last Carvin amp (a Valvemaster head) after the honeymoon period.

For the price, it was good. I think I paid around $300 used. On paper it sounded nice, but the overdrive was cruddy and the clean channel was just ok. Can't knock the quality, and maybe for someone else the flavors of sound would be more useful. For me though, meh.

• Members

I think the consensus is that it's great on paper, but generally uninspiring.

I owned one, and this sums up my experience precisely. A jack of all trades, and cheap, but I just didn't love the sound.

I love Carvin guitars, but that was probably my first and last Carvin amp.

• Members

I owned one, and this sums up my experience precisely. A jack of all trades, and cheap, but I just didn't love the sound.

I love Carvin guitars, but that was probably my first and last Carvin amp.

I'm the biggest Carvin flag waver around here, and even I'm not really a big supporter of their amps. Lots of "blah" stories out there. Frankly, one of the biggest reasons I'm not a fan is Steve Vai. Have you heard him? Sounds like honeybees getting raped by yellow jackets.. Not for me.

• Members

... and most people are too chicken-{censored} to take a chance.

i took a chance on Carvin. didn't work out for me, but that hasn't stopped me from buying other gear over the internet before trying it out. still, i understand why it's a concern for people, and that concern is valid.

• Members

Speaking of Carvin amps, I've had an AG100D for about ten years now that I've used primarily for acoustic shows (it's a 3 channel PA/amp, with guitar, mic and bass inputs), and as a small bass amp. A month or two I spent a little while fiddling with the million different EQ buttons and knobs and dialed in a really nice clean tone for my electrics, and it's been my main electric practice amp since. Really digging the tone I'm getting out of it. It took a lot more work to EQ that a typical guitar amp, which is understandable given its design, but the tone was there. I can't speak for any other Carvin amps, but there are certainly ones I want to try (the Legacy 2 among others). My AG100D has been a very practical purchase that keeps paying off.

• Members

... and most people are too chicken-{censored} to take a chance.

They're discouraged by the negative reviews? They want to try an amp before they spend money on it? Yeah, what a bunch of pussies.

Once again RavenCAD protects Carvin's reputation by questioning the manhood of anyone with reasonable objections to buying their products.

• Members

They're discouraged by the negative reviews? They want to
try
an amp before they spend money on it? Yeah, what a bunch of pussies.

Once again RavenCAD protects Carvin's reputation by questioning the manhood of anyone with reasonable objections to buying their products.

And once again, a dumbass only reads half the story before he opens his mouth...

• Members

Of course, I haven't tried this amp, but a cheap amp with a ton of knobs usually raises red flags for me. Versatility is often an excuse for failing to have really good character. If an amp doesn't sound GREAT with everything at 12 o'clock, then it's not for me.

• Members

Of course, I haven't tried this amp, but a cheap amp with a ton of knobs usually raises red flags for me. Versatility is often an excuse for failing to have really good character. If an amp doesn't sound GREAT with everything at 12 o'clock, then it's not for me.

That's a very interesting philosophy you have there. I happen to agree a lot with it. I myself am not a huge fan of "tweaking." If I can't find a sound I like rather quickly, I usually move on from a particular piece of gear. I'm a "get up and go" "run whatcha brung" type guy who has to be able to reproduce any recorded sound live.

Honeyiscool, since you're in SD, if you ever make your way to the Carvin shop, feel free to do some recognizance for me!

• Members

That's a very interesting philosophy you have there. I happen to agree a lot with it. I myself am not a huge fan of "tweaking." If I can't find a sound I like rather quickly, I usually move on from a particular piece of gear. I'm a "get up and go" "run whatcha brung" type guy who has to be able to reproduce any recorded sound live.

Honeyiscool, since you're in SD, if you ever make your way to the Carvin shop, feel free to do some recognizance for me!

I hate picky amps too. I play a lot of shows were we have 10 minutes to set up. We are in no way famous or anything, so I don't have a ton of time to dick around with my tone. Some subtle tweaks for the venue maybe, but nothing drastic. Knobs get spun in transit, or while gear is sitting there, so a temperamental amp is useless to me.

• Members

I hate picky amps too. I play a lot of shows were we have 10 minutes to set up. We are in no way famous or anything, so I don't have a ton of time to dick around with my tone. Some subtle tweaks for the venue maybe, but nothing drastic. Knobs get spun in transit, or while gear is sitting there, so a temperamental amp is useless to me.

That's why I love my Divided by 13. There's even a rotor knob on one channel.

Archived