Why doesn't the Carvin V3M get more attention?

elsupermanny14

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course, there's always the 10-day no questions asked return period. That's not too short to decide if you like the sound, considering you probably won't spent 10 days sitting in a store trying one out before you buy that one.

As is the case with any decent product, there will be those who like, those who dislike, and those who are just uninsipired. Amps, guitars, even people.

• Members

Of course, I haven't tried this amp, but a cheap amp with a ton of knobs usually raises red flags for me. Versatility is often an excuse for failing to have really good character. If an amp doesn't sound GREAT with everything at 12 o'clock, then it's not for me.

I agree with this. You should not have to endlessly tweak to find a good tone. Sometimes, simplicity is genius.

• Members

Just looked into that amp. Holy cow!!! It has everything you could ever want in an amp! Three channels with 4 button footswitch. I mean jeez! That is the most versatile amp I have seen in a long time. The crazy thing is that it's US made and only $599!

Am I missing something? Why isn't this amp super popular? I want one now!

thats everything i dont want/need in an amp

• Members

Of course, there's always the 10-day no questions asked return period. That's not too short to decide if you like the sound, considering you probably won't spent 10 days sitting in a store trying one out before you buy that one.

As is the case with any decent product, there will be those who like, those who dislike, and those who are just uninsipired. Amps, guitars, even people.

You still have to pay shipping, don't you?

• Members
Honeyiscool, since you're in SD, if you ever make your way to the Carvin shop, feel free to do some recognizance for me!

Word! I keep meaning to stop by there, but every time I need something, Musiciansfriend has a sale I can't ignore. Haha. I was mostly interested in their PA gear, but now I'm fully decked out in that sense. I'd still like a good live mixer, though, and Carvin's pretty much the best choice for the money.

• Members

I owned a Legacy combo and an XT112 combo. I don't own either anymore. I never really gave the XT much of a fair poke but I couldn't stand how dark the Legacy was. I feel like if I need to run a graphic EQ in the loop just to get a usable sound, then that amp isn't for me.

• Members
Well then they all must be, ahuch ahuch:facepalm:

didn't say that, did I. However, after dealing with their customer service/tech and repair department I am VERY reluctant to get another amp from them. It had been so good in the 70s and 80s from my experience.

• Members
I'm the biggest Carvin flag waver around here, and even I'm not really a big supporter of their amps. Lots of "blah" stories out there. Frankly, one of the biggest reasons I'm not a fan is Steve Vai. Have you heard him? Sounds like honeybees getting raped by yellow jackets.. Not for me.

or as Zappa said, Stevie has "ham sandwich" amp tone.

• Members
Speaking of Carvin amps, I've had an AG100D for about ten years now that I've used primarily for acoustic shows (it's a 3 channel PA/amp, with guitar, mic and bass inputs), and as a small bass amp. A month or two I spent a little while fiddling with the million different EQ buttons and knobs and dialed in a really nice clean tone for my electrics, and it's been my main electric practice amp since. Really digging the tone I'm getting out of it. It took a lot more work to EQ that a typical guitar amp, which is understandable given its design, but the tone
was
there. I can't speak for any other Carvin amps, but there are certainly ones I want to try (the Legacy 2 among others). My AG100D has been a very practical purchase that keeps paying off.

My old bass player has one too. It was great for about a year then he started having problems with it. Sent it in 3 times and they kept returning it with the same issues. He finally just gave up.

• Members

most of the guys around here look over at their amp and if it doesn't say Mesa or Marshall they loose wood irrespective of the way it sounds:

"Sure my 6505 sounds great but its missing something..."

cap1010015.jpg

• Members

they can be tough to dial in and have too much gain for most around here. of course, their line does have exceptions to that, but preconceived notions die hard.

My Electra Dyne was heavenly, but I simply didn't need that much power.

• Members

I have a Carvin X-100B and love it. Sounds great. Clean is Fendery sparkle and the gain reminds me of my old JCM800. I would put this amp high on my favorites list. Easy to dial in the EQ and plenty of gain on tap for me.

As far as build quality it's solid.

f29a012d.jpg

• Members

they can be tough to dial in and have too much gain for most around here. of course, their line does have exceptions to that, but preconceived notions die hard.

That seems to be the complaint. Too hard to dial in, requires a Tube Screamer to sound properly, etc. Mesa owners seem to agree that they sound godlike when the stars align, but many complain that it's hard to get the stars to align, given that it's gotten so hard to find willing virgins to sacrifice for the cause.

• Members

That seems to be the complaint. Too hard to dial in, requires a Tube Screamer to sound properly, etc. Mesa owners seem to agree that they sound godlike when the stars align, but many complain that it's hard to get the stars to align, given that it's gotten so hard to find willing virgins to sacrifice for the cause.

i hate tubescreamers and my Mesa agrees with me. in fact, it hates all distortion pedals that aren't straight boost pedals. loves the LPB1.

• Members
I have a Carvin X-100B and love it. Sounds great. Clean is Fendery sparkle and the gain reminds me of my old JCM800. I would put this amp high on my favorites list. Easy to dial in the EQ and plenty of gain on tap for me.

As far as build quality it's solid.

f29a012d.jpg

I've owned three of them. Carvin's high-water mark to be sure. Mr. Smith did some arm bending as I understand it, which is what took them out of their lineup.

• Members
most of the guys around here look over at their amp and if it doesn't say Mesa or Marshall they loose wood irrespective of the way it sounds:

"Sure my 6505 sounds great but its missing something..."

cap1010015.jpg

I think Fender and Vox are pretty well represented here, along with many other brands.

Archived