I buy too many guitars.

honeyiscool

• Members

I mean, I've been playing for just over five years now and sheesh, the list is dizzying. 42 guitars in 61 months? That's two guitars every three months. Having been employed with a pretty good job has just helped feed the beast. At the same time, the whole hobby is a big part of just having fun with guitars and I feel like I've learned a lot about guitars, and I've also spent a lot of time playing them, too. I think that's good?

Anyway, I just did a walk down the memory lane and these are all the guitars I've ever owned for even a brief period of time. No loaners (few of those, too) or guitars I bought for friends (I've done that too), these are guitars I bought and owned. (*) means I still have it.

Fender Mustangs (5): '69 RI in Sonic Blue CIJ, '65 RI in Dakota Red MIJ, '65 RI in Daphne Blue MIJ, '73 Competition RI in White (*) MIJ, Kurt Cobain in LPB (* but I'm going to sell it) MIJ

Jag-style (6): Fender Blacktop, Fender CIJ, Fender CIJ HH Jaguar Special, Silver Sparkle MIC Jagmaster, Vista Series CIJ Jagmaster (*), Stagg Jag Ripoff w/ 3 pickups

Strat-style (7): Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster, Fender MIJ Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat, Squier Standard Strat, Squier MIC, Fernandes Copy (MIC probably?), SX Short Scale

Tele-style (4): Fender MIM Tele, Squier Avril Lavigne Tele, Squier Bullet HH, some Parts Teles (I would say one full one).

LP/LP Jr-Style (6): Epiphone Les Paul Standard Cherry Burst, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Black, Epiphone LP Special I, Agile AL3500, Douglas Classic TVY, Epiphone LP Custom Pro (* on its way from Sweetwater)

Misc (3): Douglas Hadron 727, Daisy Rock Retro-H Deluxe (*), Daisy Rock Stardust Elite

Acoustics (2): Yamaha APX 500 II (*), Fender CD160 SE 12-String

Hello Kitty Strats (3): Pink #0, Pink #1 (*), Black (*)

Bass Guitars (4): Squier Badtz Maru Bronco Bass (*), Fender Mustang Bass CIJ (*), Fender Musicmaster Bass MIA, Aria Pro CSB 380 (*)

The most expensive guitar I've bought is my '73 RI Mustang, probably my favorite on this list as well, and the cheapest guitar I've bought is a Fernandes Strat Copy, it was like $60, but a fantastic playing geetar. The worst guitar, and the only one that truly sucked on this list, is the Stagg Jag/Strat mish mash, and the second worst is the SX short scale, but at least they were both cheap. All the others have been more than playable.

The best guitars out of the box have been: Fender '65 RI Mustang in Dakota Red, Squier Deluxe Strat, and the black Hello Kitty Strat. The best sleeper instrument I've had was the Squier Badtz Maru Bronco Bass, but it's also the most heavily modified instrument.

The more disappointing guitars have included: Fender Blacktop Jaguar (terrible bridge adjustment mechanism), Fender Jaguar Special HH (thick neck, anemic pickups), and Fender '69 Mustang (just overall poor quality). Notice how Fender shows up many times on that list, yet I keep buying more of them. Probably because I blame most of the issues on specs rather than quality.

The best bang for the buck guitar has to be the Agile AL3500 by far, especially at $400. I'll give the Daisy Rock Retro-H a nod as well, since I only got it for like $200 w/ a case, but at retail ($499) it is only a fair value.

The best guitar I've had in my possession for a while that I didn't own was a Fender Classic 60s Stratocaster, MIM. It belongs with some of the best guitars I've ever played. Other than that, my favorite Strat I've had has got to be the Squier Deluxe Stratocaster.

Oh yeah, I've owned exactly one American (or pre-80s) instrument, the Fender Musicmaster Bass. It was probably the worst bass I've had, but it was cheap. I've had ten Japanese instruments. They're the higher end of the stuff I've had, and overall, their construction have knocked me the {censored} out, even when I didn't like some of the specs.

The two companies that have never given me bad instruments, though? Squier and Epiphone. GO FIGURE.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like your Fender heavy list.

It's a journey man. Two weeks ago, I bought that orange Charvel, a week later traded for a sunburst MIA strat, then sold that for a small profit, put that towards a Fender Cyclone II and a '99 MIM Classic 50's series Stratocaster. That's a 4 guitar shuffle in 2 weeks.

If you have the gear bug in you, once you get that second guitar after your very very first one, it's all over.

I just jotted it down on a piece of paper and unless I've forgotten one, I've owned 21 in 10 years of playing, including basses. Heh, so wait, I think that means you switch off 4 times faster than I do. Exactly twice as many in exactly half the time.

Here's my quick list by the way using the * for still have it, and ~~ for it's on the way.

Washburn Bass

Squier P Bass

Fender Hoppus P Bass*

DeArmond 7 String SG Thing

Danelectro Hodad

Switch Prototype * (dismantled and used as decoration currently)

Fender MIM Fat Strat*

Parts Tele 1

LP Junior knock off

Epiphone LP Studio

Gibson LP Studio

Xaviere 335 Style*

Fernandes Vertigo

Parts Tele 2*

Charvel So Cal (white)*

Charvel So Cal (purple)

Charvel So Cal (green)*

Charvel San Dimas tele

Fender MIA Strat

Fender MIM Strat~~

Fender Cyclone II~~

• Members

holy crap.. I saw the title of the thread and figured you'd have 10 guitars but 42... that's crazy... and no offense but... most of those guitars are a waste IMO... I'm all for having LOTS of guitars but, a bunch of cheapies... not so much... and I'm all for buying a lower cost model to "get the vibe" of that style guitar or hell, some times you just get an awesome cheapie... it's happened to me before... but..to buy a Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster, Fender MIJ Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat, Squier Standard Strat, Squier MIC, Fernandes Copy.... come on... that's bordering obsessive IMO lol... you could sum the cost of those up and get an American Strat and "have the real thing" and at least a great representation of what that style of instrument should be to know if it's for you or not... and that goes for most of the others... I'm pretty sure if you either saved your money instead of buying OR sold off your Les Paul style guitars you could have a REAL Les Paul...

I guess when I buy my guitars I go from a quality Vs quantity... I have 5 Electrics now, IMO that might be too much since I don't reallllly get a chance to play them all BUT they are all special to me in that they each do what they do VERY well, there are some cross overs but, some shine more than others in some instances, which I like for recording. Like I LOVE the clean tone I get with the neck pickup of my Tele... none of my other guitars can give me that tone... but if I want a thick warm jazzy clean tone, I'd use my ES-137, the Tele can't give me that tone IMO. When it comes to gigging I'd look at the set list and see if I can get away with using just one of the electrics for the gig and go with that, some times a few song calls for a Tele twang but the rest need humbuckers, in that case I'd bring along two guitars...though, the new Tele I got with P90s is doing a STUPID awesome job of bridging those two requirements...

But hey.... if you love them all good on you!

• Members

gotta go with what you like , having said that several of the same thing on that list and it could be thinned out a bit and diversified in the future . e.g. Super Strat , Strat , Hello Strat , Les Paul , SG , Jazz box , P bass , J bass , 'Stang bass , LP Bass , fretless bass , :lol: or 80's shredder , Tele , etc etc .

• Members

A musicmaster bass is most likely a bad example of a pre 80's and american made guitar. 70's Fenders just aren't that good, especially the budget models. I can't beleive that people are paying up to $1000 for those guitars these days. I briefly had a 70's Fender Bronco and it was near the bottom of the list of all the guitars I've ever owned, however, all the best guitars I've had were MIA.

Buying "too many" guitars isn't a problem as long as you can afford the rest of the things you need and aren't going into debt. People get down on people who buy and sell a lot of "cheap" gutiars but that's bs, it's supposed to be a hobby and there are lots of little sub hobbies associated with. Some people like buying and selling them, some people like collecting vintage ones, some people like modding them, some people like various levels of building their own. Some people are in bands trying to make a living and need functionality and price above all else. It should all be encouraged whether or not you're into all of them or not because it's all good for the guitar universe.

• Members

holy crap.. I saw the title of the thread and figured you'd have 10 guitars but 42... that's crazy... and no offense but... most of those guitars are a waste IMO... I'm all for having LOTS of guitars but, a bunch of cheapies... not so much... and I'm all for buying a lower cost model to "get the vibe" of that style guitar or hell, some times you just get an awesome cheapie... it's happened to me before... but..to buy a Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster, Fender MIJ Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat, Squier Standard Strat, Squier MIC, Fernandes Copy.... come on... that's bordering obsessive IMO lol... you could sum the cost of those up and get an American Strat and "have the real thing" and at least a great representation of what that style of instrument should be to know if it's for you or not... and that goes for most of the others... I'm pretty sure if you either saved your money instead of buying OR sold off your Les Paul style guitars you could have a REAL Les Paul...

I guess when I buy my guitars I go from a quality Vs quantity... I have 5 Electrics now, IMO that might be too much since I don't reallllly get a chance to play them all BUT they are all special to me in that they each do what they do VERY well, there are some cross overs but, some shine more than others in some instances, which I like for recording. Like I LOVE the clean tone I get with the neck pickup of my Tele... none of my other guitars can give me that tone... but if I want a thick warm jazzy clean tone, I'd use my ES-137, the Tele can't give me that tone IMO. When it comes to gigging I'd look at the set list and see if I can get away with using just one of the electrics for the gig and go with that, some times a few song calls for a Tele twang but the rest need humbuckers, in that case I'd bring along two guitars...though, the new Tele I got with P90s is doing a STUPID awesome job of bridging those two requirements...

But hey.... if you love them all good on you!

I hear what you're saying, and yeah, nice guitars are nice. I just don't think honeyiscool is doing it to get the vibe. It's not a quality vs. quantity thing, it's more of a variety issue. It's just fun to sample different guitars.

That and impulses are strong. I've bought guitars and after having them for a month or so, I just knew they would be mine forever. Not so. Minds change. That and he doesn't still have 42, that like his all time everything list.

• Members

...in chronological order starting about 1982...

1-Yamaha FG165s

2-Washburn Raven

3-1987 Kramer Pacer Deluxe American Series

4-1993 Takamine 12 String 400s

5-1998 Fender electric/acoustic

6-2000 Morgan mahogany dreadnought

7-2002 Ibanez SRX-300 (bass)

8-2005 La Patrie Etude classical

9-2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio

10-G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Tele

11-G&L Tribute Invader

12-G&L Tribute Legacy Premium Strat

13-1988 Kramer Pacer Custom I American Series

14-1988 Kramer Pacer Custom II American Series

15-2004 Taylor 214

16-2005 ESP/LTD EC400AT

17-2006 U.S.A. G&L JB-2 bass w/G&L case

18-1988 Kramer Pacer Custom II American Series

19-2002 ESP/LTD H-1000

20-2004 ESP/LTD EC400 STBC

21-Seagull S6+CW Cedar

22-2006 Fender U.S.A. 60th Anniversary H/S Telecaster

23-1984 Kramer Pacer Series Patent Pending Deluxe

24-1985 USA Jackson Student Soloist

25-1977 Ibanez Strat.

26-1988 Kramer F-1000

27-1987 Charvel Model 1

28-1987 Charvel Model 1

29-2006 ESP/LTD Viper 1000

30-2006 Fender U.S.A. 60th Anniversary Highway One Stratocaster

31-1999 Fender USA alder Stratocaster

32-1976 Ibanez Les Paul

33-2006 Fender U.S.A. 60th Anniversary Highway One Stratocaster

34-2006 Jackson DK2M Red Ghost Flames

35-1976 Gibson Marauder

36-Kramer Baretta body w/Frankenstraat neck

37-1984 Kramer Focus 3000

38-2004 ESP/LTD Viper 400

39-1985 Kramer Pacer Deluxe

40-1970s Bradley Les Paul

41-Ibanez Artcore AG85

42-counterfeit Tokai Gibson 335 copy

43-ESP/LTD VIPER 400

44-Jackson DK2M Red Ghost Flames

45-Fender Custom Telecaster FMT

46-2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio (black)

47-Ibanez RG321 mahogany

48-Ibanez RG321 mahogany

49-2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio

50-LTD EC-256 AVB

51-ESP/LTD H-400

52-1998 Gibson Les Paul Studio (oxblood)

53-1995 Gibson Les Paul Studio (wine red)

54-Epiphone Korina

• Members

That's a good amount of horse trading Honey!

Here's my list. This is since the early 90's. I focused on basses until the mid 00's.

Basses:

90's Ibanez Soundgear SG-400

'78 Gibson RD Artist Bass *

80's G&L L-1000

70's Kramer aluminum neck Fretless

60's Gibson EB-2

90's Fender P-Bass Special

80's BC Rich Eagle bass

70's Hondo Rickenbacker Copy

'81 Gibson Victory Artist

'78 Ibanez Black Eagle

80's G&L L-1000

'92 G&L LB-100 *

90's Epiphone Non-Reverse Thunderbird V

90's Epiphone Non-Reverse Thunderbird V

'66 Epiphone Rivioli

'00 Ernie Ball MM Stingray V

'83 MusicMan Stingray

'80 Gibson RD Artist Bass

'00 G&L ASAT (Stolen)

'92 G&L L-2000

'02 G&L L-2000 *

'83 MusicMan Cutlass 1 *

'86 Rickenbacker 4003 *

'01 Ibanez Artcore AGB 140 TBR *

?? Dearmond Ashbory Pho Bass *

'78 Gibson RD Artist Bass *

00's Schecter Hellcat VI *

'09 SX Jazz copy (Gave away as present)

'10 SX Jazz copy (sold to cousin)

Guitars:

60's Silvertone (Harmony) guitar

60's Harmony Rocket (Gave away as present)

'68 Gibson SG jr. *

'92 Gibson Les Paul Special

'77 Ibanez Les Paul Custom Copy *

90's Ibanez Talman

80's Suzuki Les Paul Custom Copy

'79 Gibson RD Artist

80's Casio PG-380 MIDI guitar

80's Squier Bullet S3 *

80's Squier Bullet H2 *

00's G&L ASAT Special w/bigsby *

00's G&L ASAT Special w/bigsby *

'77 Gibson RD Artist *

'81 Gibson SGR1

00's First Act VW Guitar (Gave away as present)

'00's Danelectro Innuendo (Gave away as present)

'96 Gibson Les Paul Studio Emerald GEM *

'81 Fender Bullet S2 *

'90's Squier Super-Sonic *

00's Epiphone EJ-160e *

90's Fender Concord *

00's SX SJM-62 *

00's Danelectro Innuendo Baritone *

'80 Gibson ES-347 *

'79 Fender Hardtail Stratocaster *

'10 Gibson custom shop Non-Reverse Firebird III

'81 Gibson 335s Professional*

'93 Gibson ES-135*

* Still own

• Members

Buying "too many" guitars isn't a problem as long as you can afford the rest of the things you need and aren't going into debt. People get down on people who buy and sell a lot of "cheap" gutiars but that's bs, it's supposed to be a hobby and there are lots of little sub hobbies associated with. Some people like buying and selling them, some people like collecting vintage ones, some people like modding them, some people like various levels of building their own. Some people are in bands trying to make a living and need functionality and price above all else. It should all be encouraged whether or not you're into all of them or not because it's all good for the guitar universe.

well said... to each their own....over the years I've bought and sold a good bit of guitars, basically to me if they can't last past the Honeymoon phase or become redundant I get rid of them and then the other point is I'd rather have an AWESOME Tele than 3 so so Teles.... or in my case a standard tele and then one with P90s.... everyone needs P90s IMO lol... But hey... if you love all your guitars, regardless of price and quality then its all good

• Members

You are still pretty young, I did the same thing I bought a lot of guitars, most of them cheap(in $ that is). Through that process I found out what I really liked. Now I have a Gibson LP trad Pro and a MIA Strat as my two main guitars, plus two others I keep for alternate tunings ans sentimental reasons. I don't regret owning that many guitars and I don't think I ever lost money buying/trading. The process showed me what I like and don't like.

There are so many inexpensive quality instruments to experiment with nowadays that it would almost be foolish to not explore the possibilities. But there is definitely something nice about owning a quality instrument, makes me wanna play even more.

• Members

I hear what you're saying, and yeah, nice guitars are nice. I just don't think honeyiscool is doing it to get the vibe. It's not a quality vs. quantity thing, it's more of a variety issue. It's just fun to sample different guitars.

That and impulses are strong. I've bought guitars and after having them for a month or so, I just knew they would be mine forever. Not so. Minds change. That and he doesn't still have 42, that like his all time everything list.

ahhhhh I must have read his post wrong... I thought he had all 42 LOL!!! if that's not the case then my post really is kinda off point lol

• Members

Wow. I'm just as impressed by some of you guys' memories as I am your collections.

All my guitars are in my sig, except for a few that were lost along the way. I had an Epiphone LP Special II for about a week, until I traded it for pickups. I also had a Sigma (import Martin) acoustic that I sold. I used to have a Samick J-bass copy, but that was lent to a friend and then stolen by some dumb kid. The Hamer SATF in my sig is on its way out, since it's the only guitar I've ever bought that I just can't enjoy playing, no matter how much I like the color.

I've sold more amps and pedals than guitars.

• Members

Here's my current list:

Heritage (2) - 2010 H-170LW, 2000 Prospect

Gibson (2) - 2007 Melody Maker, 2010 50's Tribute Les Paul

Ibanez hollow/semi hollow (4) - AS03, AM73B, AFST75, AF55

Epiphone hollow/semi hollow (2) - P93 Riviera, Dot Studio

Ibanez solid (1) - ART100

Gretsch (1) - Pro Jet

AXL (2) - Marquee SRO, MJZ

PRE SE (2) - EG, Santana

Fender (4) - MIM Strat, Highway 1 Strat, Modern Player Thinline Tele Deluxe, '69 RI Thinline Tele

Malden (3) - Bulldozer, Utopia, Mozak

Carvin (2) - 2 SC90's

SX (2) - Tele copy, Liquid

Peavey (2) - USA Predator, Rockmaster

Epiphone (2) - Firebird Studio, G400

Squier (2) - VM jazzmaster, Hello Kitty Strat (on the way)

Schecter (1) - Damien Special

Hamer (1) - SATF

Xaviere (1) - Thinline Tele copy

Partscaster (1) - Tele

Basses (2) - Squier Jaguar SS, Gretsch Synchromatic

Acoustics (4) - Washburn D22SMB, Wechter Pathmaker, Washburn WD26SCE, Rogue 12 string

Resophonic (1) - Rouge

Classical (1) - 1972 Mana

Mandolins (2) - Rogue, Epiphone Mandobird

Ukelele (1)

So that's a total of 48 instruments.

• Members

I guess you can read this in an old man voice (though I don't have an old man voice in real life):

You kids now-a-days! Everything is about buying {censored}, shopping for gear is more important than the music. When I got signed to RCA back in 1983 I owned two guitars, a '79 strat and a crappy Harmony acoustic. When they kicked us off the label in '85 I had gotten a G&L Superhawk and a Marshall half-stack out of the deal. Back then we just didn't think a lot about gear, you played what you had and you made it work. You worried about coming up with good song ideas, or getting laid, or where you were gonna buy your drugs, but guitars were just tools.

As time went on I started acquiring a collection, I got into the constant search for something new, just like everyone else. (I won't bore you with the list). I think this barely controllable need to buy stuff is a cultural sickness like obesity.

That said, you have a cool guitar collection Honeyiscool, and I really like your cat, the cat on the amp video was cute.

• Members

HIC, your PACE is what amazes me. You are in your early 20's aren't you?

That said, you can never have too many guitars :) But, as you get older, you will gravitate to what you like rather than what you THINK you like. I have guitars that I lusted over that I hated once I got them. I have had guitars that I backed into through some trade with no intention of ever owning one, and love. As long as we can all keep roof and food and health, I say, get whatcha want.

• Members

wow.... some serious buying and selling going on!!!!!! I suppose that if I had access to music stores like you guys I might well be in the same boat!! that's the catch with not living in the US, everything is over priced, we get limited selection and our stores have {censored} return policies... unless there's a serious defect, pretty much all sales are final

Archived