I buy too many guitars.

honeyiscool

• Members

Guitar-buying by age:

14. Started learning on my dad's '73 Strat

17. Bought my 70s Suzuki acoustic

19. First full-time job paycheck - bought my Gibson SG Special - dad wouldn't let me keep the Strat when I moved out!

27. Really wanted a Strat. Picked up my Fender SRV Strat used for a bargain price.

28. Started cycling to work - spent my saved train ticket cash for the Summer on a Gibson LP Studio Faded. Later on, broke up with my girlfriend and bought a terrible 1983 Tokai in lurid turquoise to make myself feel better.

I'm 29 now. I've just swapped the pickups in the SG for BKP P90s. I don't think I need another guitar - except a top-end acoustic, and I can't afford one of those yet. I might build a partscaster Tele too - not because I need one, but because an artist friend says she'll paint a guitar body for me for free.

I guess I haven't bought as many guitars as some of you other guys. I guess I'm pretty happy with the classic designs and I've always saved up and bought good quality instruments that don't really need upgrading. Maybe one day I'll get a 'proper' LP, but I'm in no hurry.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what my
ex
-wife said...
:o

hahaha, that's what I'm talking about!!! LOLZ!!!

The closest I think I got my wife to understand the need for more than one guitar was by comparing them to shoes.... she then understood, but then still loves to bitch when I tell her about a guitar I saw/want... We came to a simple agreement with my gear purchasing though, she rides horses which costs us about $150-$200 US a month, so I just tell her if she's going to do that don't make a fuss when a new pedal or random piece of gear shows up...

• Members

haha I thought I was crazy with 17 guitars + 1 bass. I stop buying guitar for a while instead I upgrade them with better pickup, electronics, brdige, tremolo blocks and all other hardwares.

But seriously if you can afford them and have a place to store them, why not?

• Members

This forum tends to honor the profligate spenders and GAS'rs, but I did it for the reasons honeyiscool mentions

At the same time, the whole hobby is a big part of just having fun with guitars and I feel like I've learned a lot about guitars, and I've also spent a lot of time playing them, too. I think that's good?

But now I'm looking more at 10 years or so until I retire, so mostly all I want to do now is pay off bills, organize the collection better with some double decker racks, sell off a few, do some mods I've been procrastinating on, sell off some more, and maybe eventually get it down to my top two dozen or so. There's definitely no winning in this game. I just know I hit "maximum density" so now I'm viewing the U-turn. :lol:

• Members

Yeah, my buying and selling was mostly horse trading so I could try out different guitars. Most of my buying guitars up until a few years ago was just reinvesting profits from sales of stuff I had bought cheap and then re-sold. I started in '93 or so...

I think I'm about done where I'm at now. I've gotten to the point that it is almost too difficult to maintain all of them.

• Members

well said... to each their own....over the years I've bought and sold a good bit of guitars, basically to me if they can't last past the Honeymoon phase or become redundant I get rid of them and then the other point is I'd rather have an AWESOME Tele than 3 so so Teles.... or in my case a standard tele and then one with P90s.... everyone needs P90s IMO lol... But hey... if you love all your guitars, regardless of price and quality then its all good

Reading my list, do you really get the feeling that buying one American Strat would have solved the issue? The fact is everything I've bought, I've had a reason for buying it, and most of them were really good at filling that need, and then eventually I didn't really need it anymore.

I've bought "dream" instruments many times just to sell them six months later. Notice that I have had quite a lot of MIJ/CIJ Fenders, which are far from cheap and in some cases are more expensive than every level American Fenders.

• Members

Man, I don't even know where to start, since I've bought, sold and traded so many guitars over 33 years of playing. Some were sold due to money/budget crunches. Others were sold or traded, due to me finding out that they really weren't my thing (I don't like to have dust collectors), or due to the desire to have a certain guitar. Yet others were sold, as a part of the process of doing gear recovery/getting my sound back, after having to sell off gear to make ends meet. Oftentimes, this meant buying and selling a number of guitars and amps over the space of a year or two, until I got what I was satisfied with. To the best of my knowledge, here are the axes I've had over the years in chronological order:

1970s

1. classical sized nylon string made by my grampa when I was 6 (my uncle has it now)

2. Washburn acoustic

1980s

3. Memphis Melody Maker copy

4. 70s LP Special (it was in ratty shape to say the least)

5. 1983 MIJ Squier Strat

6. 70s tobacco sunburst LP Signature

7. Gibson Q4000 (sort of a super-strat that Gibson only made a dozen of)

1990s

8. Gibson LP Special

9. MIJ Fender Jaguar (this was my first Jag, and it suffered from terrible microphonics)

10. mid 70s Gibson SG Standard (great pickups, but it wouldn't stay in tune very well)

11. early 90s LP DC Jr. (it was re-finished in natural by its previous owner)

12. 1991 Charvel Surfcaster (wimpy pickups, but a killer neck - I miss this one)

13. 1992 Peavey Generation (Tele copy with active pickups & Peavey's version of a Floyd)

14. 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion (my main gigging guitar for most of the 90s)

15. lawsuit era Memphis LP copy (borrowed from my brother for alternate tunings during gigs)

16. 1995 jetglo Rickenbacker 360

17. 1999 candy apple red Fender Toronado (a great guitar - I wish I hadn't had to sell it)

18. Washburn cutaway electric-acoustic

2000s

19. Epiphone Slasher (yech!)

20. 2001 Gretsch Synchromatic Jet Club (my first Gretsch - bought dirt cheap)

21. Ibanez AS73 Artcore

22. Squier Affinity Telecaster

23. Eastwood Airline Coronado

25. Danelectro '63 reissue

26. Danelectro '63 reissue Baritone

27. 1983 Squier Bullet

28. Epiphone Wildcat (gotten rid of after I realized the headstock repair was whacked)

29. Gretsch Electromatic Jr. Jet

30. jetglo Rickenbacker 360 (my old one that I mentioned above)

31. red sparkle thinline Gretsch Synchromatic Jet

32. Gretsch G6120 Brian Setzer Hot Rod (I didn't like the v-shaped neck)

33. Eastwood Sidejack Baritone

34. DeArmond Sevenstar 7-string

35. Squier Affinity Telecaster

36. NOS 2003 Gretsch Country Club (a great guitar, I wish I hadn't had to sell it).

37. Danelectro U2

38. Schecter Omen Extreme 7, 7-string

2010s

39. CIJ Fender '66 reissue Jaguar (great guitar)

40. Danelectro MOD 7, 7-string

41. Gretsch 5120 Electromatic

42. Squier CV Tele Thinline

43. 2010 mapleglo Rickenbacker 360

44. Reverend Club King HB (I'm kind of regretting getting rid of this one)

45. CP Jazzmaster

46. 2010 Gretsch 6118 Anniversary

47. Seagull 12-string Acoustic

48. CP Jaguar

49. MIA Amer. Special Tele

50. 2011 Gretsch Country Club

51. MIM Tele Thinline

52. CIJ Thinline Jaguar

53. Gretsch Synchromatic Jr. Jet

• Members

I started out playing acoustic and played acoustic only for 15 years and only having 2 at any given time. When I began playing electric, there was so much diversity and things to learn it took me a lot of time to figure out what I liked. Even now, I'm sure as my musical tastes change, I will look for different guitars to accommodate the sounds I am after. Having said this, I have gone through about 25 guitars over the 6 year period I have played electric (I currently have only 3). I don't see this as a fault but more of a learning process. I would think honeyiscool, being somewhat new to electric is not too dissimilar. However, I have no f'n idea how everyone here has kept track of their purchases, I have to dig back into my grey matter in attempting to remember what I have owned.

• Members

all these guitars and not a single song written, performed or recorded mentioned. never has so much created so little. this is why cc deville (hell, even Britney spears) get on stage and make music for a living, and you guys type about their music on forums

A. Honeyiscool has posted several recordings of himself that I've seen. I think he's mentioned playing live too.

B. So?

C. So you're saying have a bunch of guitars is mutually exclusive to performing?

D. Who do you think you are to judge how someone spends their time and money on hobbies?

• Members

My wife buys several pairs of shoes each month...
:o

The argument I always had against that was guitars are assets that retain their value. Whenever you buy shoes or a handbag most if not all of that value will be lost within a few years. If I need fast money for an emergency or something, I can liquidate my guitars pretty quickly and get around as much as I paid for them (in some cases more).

Archived