What is the most minimalist Fender amp?

slushpup96

• Members

So I'm thinking, I like the Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp because it's a combo, not too big or small, and doesn't have a ton of added effects. I don't really like when my amp has tremolo or reverb because I feel like pedals will be much better at creating those effects than the amp will.

Musicmaster.jpg Amp*ares link removed by Phil 10-3-12

But I kinda want to control my Treble, Mids, and Bass from the amp. Is there an amp like the Musicmaster bass amp that only has Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, and possibly Tone (like the MM bass amp)?

If not, I'll just keep stalking MM bass amps on craigslist.

• Members

Tweed Champ?

Mine was a clone built in a 1x12 cab, but it only had a Volume knob... can't get much more minimalist than that.
:lol:

Right. The switch is even incorporated into the knob.

• Members

I don't really like when my amp has tremolo or reverb because I feel like pedals will be much better at creating those effects than the amp will.

when i find a pedal that has as good a reverb or trem sound as my Fenders, i'll let you know. knowing that, my vote goes to the Princeton Reverb. blackface/silverface fenders don't have a mids control until you get to the mid wattage offerings like the Vibrolux. but you can get plenty of flexibility with a Champ and a bigger speaker.

• Members

+1 for Bassman. Specifically the new TV combo series

http://www.fender.com.au/amplification/bassamps/bassman-tv-twelve.php

Art090921fenderbassman.jpg
1600-BassmanTV110_top.jpg
upload_19640_1.jpg

I have a TV 15 and love it. Use it as both a guitar and bass amp (it has a "bright" switch which helps for guitar)
:thu:

This looks great. Are you ever concerned about blowing out the speakers with your bass or is it pretty much a bass-guitar amp (in other words, is it advertised and used often with bass as well as guitar)?

• Members

This looks great. Are you ever concerned about blowing out the speakers with your bass or is it pretty much a bass-guitar amp (in other words, is it advertised and used often with bass as well as guitar)?

Unlike the '59 Bassman RI, they're marketed and sold as bass amps.

• Members

Yeah, as Mr Hovercraft mentioned these are officially bass amps. The main reason I got this was because I like a lot of bass in my guitar tone and wanted to be able to crank my fuzz/Big Muff pedals without worrying about blowing the speaker like I would on my other amps. I actually blew a speaker in my mesa cab from playing stuff in drop A too often (well I think thats what did it anyway). I play bass in a band now so that kinda helps too :thu: Its funny, tho, because the the EQing, I cant really use my old favourite pedals with it (eg, Boss Metalcore, Trex Dr Swamp) because they are now way too boomy, but Ive found that the extra bass makes the infamously fizzy boss metal zone sound very Marshall-esque :rawk:

• Members

Amps that have only 2-knobs are fail.....................

Bare Minimum should be Treble, Mid, Bass, volume, Pre amp

Let's get real, how expensive is it to add a 3 band EQ?

So you say a more pure tone with just a Volume and tone knob?

Go back to Amp building school..............................

• Members

+1 for Bassman. Specifically the new TV combo series

http://www.fender.com.au/amplification/bassamps/bassman-tv-twelve.php

Art090921fenderbassman.jpg
1600-BassmanTV110_top.jpg
upload_19640_1.jpg

I have a TV 15 and love it. Use it as both a guitar and bass amp (it has a "bright" switch which helps for guitar)
:thu:

Looks great. Pretty much my ideal bass amp: 50s aesthetic, SS (if memory serves.... I like my bass sounds clean, so I really feel no need for tubes when it comes to bass), demos I've heard sound great. They were very pricey when they first came out over here, not checked in on that in a long time, though.

• Members

Still leaning towards the MM bass amp for a few reasons.

1. They're silverface, which is awesome looking.

2. Two instrument inputs, two knobs. No need to get fancy.

3. Not heavy.

4. Not too loud but easily loud enough for me.

5. It's a combo, which I like.

6. It's not that expensive if you get it at the right price. So instead of dropping a lot more money for something else, I can get this and a Greta to put in front of it.

• Members

Amps that have only 2-knobs are fail.....................

Bare Minimum should be Treble, Mid, Bass, volume, Pre amp

Let's get real, how expensive is it to add a 3 band EQ?

So you say a more pure tone with just a Volume and tone knob?

Go back to Amp building school..............................

I think somebody doesn't understand the meaning of minimalist.

• Members

No concern for blowing speakers.

Those are actually marketed and sold as bass amps, not guitar amp. They may work fine for guitar, I believe they are more "old school" in the voicing (don't quote me on that); modern bass amps are usually full-range amps (like PA and keyboard amp). 150-watt solid-stat class D power amp (similar to the power amp from the Crate Power Block) in vintage clothing.

• Members

Looks great. Pretty much my ideal bass amp: 50s aesthetic, SS (if memory serves.... I like my bass sounds clean, so I really feel no need for tubes when it comes to bass), demos I've heard sound great. They were very pricey when they first came out over here, not checked in on that in a long time, though.

It's SS with a tube preamp I think, like a peavey transtube or something. It has an exhaust fan and came with some marketing stuff going on about "tube warmth". I don't really care, I just know that it sounds awesome and has warmth in spades :thu:

• Members

Still leaning towards the MM bass amp for a few reasons.

1. They're silverface, which is awesome looking.

2. Two instrument inputs, two knobs. No need to get fancy.

3. Not heavy.

4. Not too loud but easily loud enough for me.

5. It's a combo, which I like.

6. It's not that expensive if you get it at the right price. So instead of dropping a lot more money for something else, I can get this and a Greta to put in front of it.

The main reason it has lower price: it doesn't sound too good for guitar.

Archived