RIP Jon Lord

cratz2

• Members

A few weeks ago when we heard about Donald Duck Dunn's passing, my wife and I had a lengthy discussion about how we're entering into an era when many of our beloved band members from the 1960's and 1970's are already well into their late 60's and 70's. It's inevitable that the next 10 years will witness the passing of many, many great artists until, just like World War II veterans, they will eventually be extinct. Except for Keef.

One great BBC Series that I would recommend is Saxondale. The protagonist, Tommy Saxondale, works as an exterminator; however, his life has been irreversibly altered by his 20 some years serving as a roadie for every major British band during the golden age of arena rock. Deep Purple is one of his favorites. He keeps a strat that Richie Blackmore gave him in his "Bat Cave" (garage) and only shows it to deserving acquaintances. His past roots continually haunt him in various, typically disastrous, episodes. Every time he tries to touch base with his former life, he comes to the realization that life goes on and we move on. It's a bittersweet, hilarious comedy to which only a few of us are going to be able to relate. Maybe that's why it only garnered 13 episodes over two seasons. Steve Coogan is a genius though, and I treasure this series which is available on iTunes.

Long live Deep Purple! We loved you, Jon Lord, even though I had forgotten your name until today.

• Members

^^I should mention that, while Saxondale roadied for every major act of the 70's, he never worked with Led Zeppelin, and that is one of the standing jokes of the series. When Tommy says, "I set up Keith Moon's drum kit..." the inevitable question everyone asks is, "Did you work with Zeppelin?" Tommy's response is a universal "{censored} off" mumbled beneath his breath. Sadly, the series ended before Tommy had a chance to reveal why he never had a chance to work with Zep.

It's all fiction, of course, but Saxondale is such a multidimensional character that you feel like you know him, personally. Few TV comedies have been able to accomplish this. And now, when I think of Deep Purple, I think of the aforementioned Saxondale. I wonder if Steve Coogan will be at Lord's memorial service?

Rock organ probably wouldn't be the same without Jon Lord.

• Members

I grew up with Deep Purple from their earliest line ups.

Jon Lord was one of the finest musician/keyboardists in my musical journey.

I loved him, his talent and his wit.

I'm deeply sorry to hear of his passing.

I remember my keyboardist going gaga over this DP tune.

We played it at a Brooklyn College frat party the week it came out.

Here's another one that features Jon Lord..........

Archived