Whats the most you'd spend on a guitar online without trying it out first?

StevenJM

• Members

$2,500 - Les Paul 1956 VOS Goldtop from Music 123 (when they still had no sales tax in CA)

bought it in 2006 for my 50th birthday. And while I'm not going to list the serial number, it just turned out to be very significant - numberwise. Just lucked into a very cool number.

The number incorporates my birth date and age.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

but I'm a little nervous. The thing is beautiful (to me) but who knows if it needs any work done. (set up, pickup swap)

(Assuming this is a Gibson)

In context to your OP -- my recommendation is do not buy ANY Gibson explorer without laying hands on it and playing it. I have two, and love them both, but they were the end result of going to many shops and playing many explorers. QC is all over the place, and they are hardly a reliable brand/model to buy sight unseen.

• Members

The total price for the guitar + hard case + shipping from Japan is $520.

I previously bought an '84 "the SG" maybe 5 years ago for $450 as-is/no returns off of eBay and it plays amazing, just needed a new bridge pickup. So I've gotten lucky once, but like someone stated, I knew I could break even if I sold it. I don't know if I'd break even selling this other guitar.

I might pass on it, I'm sending another email asking if there is any kind of policy they can offer.

• Members

I've bought a new Gibson online without having seen even a photograph of the actual guitar.

From an excellent dealer with a great reputation.

When it arrived there was a detailed dealer inspection checklist certificate in the case.

I couldn't have been happier.

• Members

$700 for my (used) 2008 LP from an e-Bay seller. No return policy, just saw a few pics and traded e-mails. Turned out great, it's my favorite guitar.

I've bought six other guitars online for lesser amounts. No issues with any of them. I'd go above $1,000 to a reputable dealer with a return policy.

• Members

I have no issues buying online. As a lefty, "trying it first" is not usually an option for me, whether ordering off Ebay or needing to special order a lefty at the local guitar shop. It's become such custom to me I often find myself buying guitars I COULD play first without actually playing them. For example, my last Ibanez purchase was a guitar I researched and thought about buying for weeks. When I saw a local dealer had a lefty in stock they were selling on ebay, I offered to go buy it the next day. I went in, paid, and started walking out with the box. I opened it only long enough to see if there were any obvious defects or damage. Even the store employee was like "aren't you gonna try it out?".

Point being, the more I know what I enjoy and desire in a guitar, the less need I have to "try before I buy".

• Members

Bought a Ric for $1100, a Gibson J-160E, $1800 I think, and a Vox AC30/6TB approx $1100( Made in England, Not a guitar I know). They were all new and from known reputable dealers and I was very happy with each one. StevenJM, I'm in a similar posotion. Bugging for a Fender Vintage Princeton Reverb Blackface and I know I won't be able to hear it first. :facepalm:

• Members

Spent $3500+ on 3 Rickenbacker's all from different private auctions on FleaBay and had them shipped from the USA to New Zealand all without any problems whatsoever. The quickest was on my doorstep 4 days after paying (with PayPal).

That was US$ not NZ$ by the way.

Cheers

J_N.

• Members

for new guitars, any brand and model with a reputation I am familiar with... for example, ESP models 400 and up, sure...

for older guitars, I'd have to really really want that guitar to buy it... still would need a return policy.

• Members

No returns other than if damaged during shipping.

I'm considering dropping some cash on an explorer but I'm a little nervous. The thing is beautiful (to me) but who knows if it needs any work done. (set up, pickup swap)

Under those terms, not one Pfennig. Luckily, where I live, I have the right to return, no questions asked, for 14 days. Thomann gives 30 days, and I've never had a problem with them. The most expensive guitar I've bought online was my SG Classic. It was a keeper. I would not hesitate to spend more, if and when I have the money (and my wife's blessing) for that Martin 000-28 that I want.

Archived