Stolen Instrument List

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poderoso View Post
I had an LTD M-350 stolen last year and a forumite found it on ebay. Turns out a local pawnshop was selling it. I got it back but I had to buy it from the pawnshop:/

That is terrible. Surely there is something you can still do?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by m.shaw87

View Post

That is terrible. Surely there is something you can still do?

what he should have done was gone to the police, shown them his original theft report (hopefully he had one), and then had them go with him to the pawn shop. Receiving stolen property is still illegal, and the pawn shop is obligated to perform due diligence prior to accepting items for sale. This still sounds like there is something missing from teh story...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by daddymack View Post
if you reported it stolen to the police, all you should have had to do was notify the police. The pawn shop is liable for purchasing stolen property...under California law, they have a legal obligation to make sure they are not abetting the thief by receiving stolen property.
That appears to be putting a fair bit of faith in both the pawn shop owners and the police. Does that California law require the pawn shop owners to contact the police to run it through stolen gear databases? I would imagine many people who would steal thousands of dollars worth of gear would be inclined to drive a good distance to unload it. Do those databases, if used, interlink?

The only major theft I knew of happened to a DJ. The biggest hit wasn't the gear, it was the records. Better than a decade of collections, BPM marking and the lot. He ended up tracking it down not though any legislation or the police. He did his own police work for well over a month and tracked it down. Maybe an element of luck but he was committed, with good reason.

What happens if you buy a guitar from a pawn shop, take it to a gig and some dude comes up to you telling you it's his guitar. You bought the guitar cash. The pawn shop owner is responsible right? But is there any resulting fines for the shop owner for selling stolen gear? Or in California, for not checking it? Can you just go back to the shop with the receipt in hand and demand the money? Does the other person need to be there with a police report? What happens if the person did not fill out a police report?

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by BlueGreene View Post
That appears to be putting a fair bit of faith in both the pawn shop owners and the police. Does that California law require the pawn shop owners to contact the police to run it through stolen gear databases? I would imagine many people who would steal thousands of dollars worth of gear would be inclined to drive a good distance to unload it. Do those databases, if used, interlink?

The only major theft I knew of happened to a DJ. The biggest hit wasn't the gear, it was the records. Better than a decade of collections, BPM marking and the lot. He ended up tracking it down not though any legislation or the police. He did his own police work for well over a month and tracked it down. Maybe an element of luck but he was committed, with good reason.

What happens if you buy a guitar from a pawn shop, take it to a gig and some dude comes up to you telling you it's his guitar. You bought the guitar cash. The pawn shop owner is responsible right? But is there any resulting fines for the shop owner for selling stolen gear? Or in California, for not checking it? Can you just go back to the shop with the receipt in hand and demand the money? Does the other person need to be there with a police report? What happens if the person did not fill out a police report?
My understanding is the pawn shop is supposed to do a 'due diligence' reporting of the serial number of the instrument (also firearms) to the police database, and if there is a match, they turn in the person who sold the instrument (they are supposed to verify ID at time of transaction).
If some guy shows up at a gig claiming you have his axe, well, yeah, get a copy of the police report...absent that, that guy's claim is moot...no proof? Buh-Bye...

• 4 months later...
  • Members

These were stolen out of the trunk of my car while loading up after a gig. If i find the thiefs i'll cut off their hands.

> '97 USA Stratocaster California Series, black and legit road worn missing paint
> Pedal Board with ; BBE Green Screamer, Ibanez TS 808, Ibanez Fuzz, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dean Markley tuner
> 4 20' moster cables, and 1- 18' Mogami instrument cable

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stolen: Carter S-10 Pedal Steel Guitar , red, single neck, 10-string, 4 Pedals, 5 Knee Levers, S/N 01233314 10

Stolen 12/14/12 from home in Euless, TX (near Dallas). Euless Police Report 12-77689
Contact Corey 407-421-7984 or cherb10@yahoo.com

Also stolen in this burglary was:

Discovery electric guitar, red, inside Road Runner Electric Guitar Gig Bag (soft case)

Casio Keyboard, Model CTK-451

Peavey Bass Amp MAX 158, S/N 0BIK2932

Dunlop Crybaby Wah, GCB-95

Behringer Overdrive/Distortion Pedal, OD100

Boss Dynamic Wah Pedal, AW-3

DOD VCC-1 Volume Pedal

Zoom 505 Multi-Effects Pedal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi - I'm the musician who started this thread and the Stolen Music Instrument Recovery Project. I'm looking for musicians who want to join this project, help publicize instrument thefts, make decisions on how to better promote the project and the thefts, and join in on the rewards.

It used to be just me publicizing the thefts - now I am looking for musicians nationwide who want to become part of the project and help publicize the thefts via Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and musician forums.

The site is at screamingstone.com

Facebook.com/ScreamingStone

Start the new year joining a project to help musicians!

Contact me through H-C, or at my site screamingstone.com or through Facebook.com/ScreamingStone

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Stolen Alert - Nashville, TN

1) 1968 Fender Precision Bass-Daphne Blue-Lollipop tuners-a bit beat up (paint a bit worn through where right arm rests, and dings and dents here and there) Transition Fender Logo (neck stamp date JAN68C) "F" neck plate with serial number (stolen during break in) 

2) 1966 Fender Mustang Bass-Olympic White-very beat up (sanded down to original finish, except under pickguard where it is still a bright Olympic White), very aged, some areas down to the wood, color varies from stark white to yellowish patina) lollipop tuners-tortoise guard (neck date SEP66B) "F" Neckplate with serial# (stolen during break in) headstock just says "Fender". Neck is VERY amber in color 

3) 1994 Fender "Made In Japan" MB-5 5-string sunburst with EMG pickups (BTC) and "F" neckplate, stock tuning pegs serial# stolen during break in

4) 1995 Fender "Made In Japan" MB-5 5-string black with EMG pickups (BTC), aftermarket all silver tuning pegs, and aftermarket bridge. serial# stolen during break in

5) 2005 Lake Placid Blue Fretless Fender Jazz Bass with epoxied neck (no lines. you can see your face in it like a mirror) Japanese neck-Mexican body, Seymour DUncan Antiquity I in neck position and Antiquity II in bridge position. "F" neckplate. Hipshot drop D tuner for E string, serial# stolen during break in

6) Fender Jazz Bass ash body clear finish, Mexican 60s re-issue neck and reverse tuners BRAND NEW "F" neckplate, Serial # MX12258028.

7) Epiphone Dot Studio guitar-highly customized with burst-bucker pickups, black pickup covers, and a custom fitted black pickguard. Neck has rolled edges (not factory). serial# stolen during break in.

Posted by Screaming Stone Stolen Music Instrument Recovery Project - publicizing instrument thefts to help musicians get back their stolen gear.

• Members

Stolen Alert - Kamuela, at Hapuna Beach, HI

Please help me find my stolen trumpets. They have deep musical and sentimental value to me. I looked for the Martin Committee for 5 years, in 30 seconds after playing it I knew it was the jazz horn for me. The Bach C trumpet was custom modified, the leadpipe is stamped MC1. The horn was first designed by Bob Malone, then restored by Ken Larson, Malone's protege. I bought the Schilke piccolo trumpet from my esteemed teacher of 15 years, and again had custom leadpipes (2 by Malone and 2 by Larson) designed for it. I love these horns, each is one-of-a-kind gem, totally irreplaceable. I feel like a part of me died when the were stolen. Please please please help. 

All of the trumpets were in a black leather Torpedo Bag hard case:

B-flat 1946 Martin Committee, raw brass. Restored with all original parts. a few minor scratches, otherwise in excellent condition

Serial Number: 154717

Bach 229 C-trumpet with MC1 Malone pipe, gold-plated. Very new-looking gold finish. Excellent condition

Serial Number: CL35836

Schilke P54 piccolo trumpet, gold-plated two Bob Malone leadpipes, two Kenneth W Larson leadpipes. Some slight wear on the gold finish

Serial Number: 12864

Posted by Screaming Stone Stolen Music Instrument Recovery Project - publicizing instrument thefts to help musicians get back their stolen gear.

• Members

Stolen Alert - Denver, CO

2005 Breedlove OF Quartz- Burst pattern/coloring. Very unique coloring for this model during that year. #7952. Mando body in excellent condition with no visible scrapes or nicks. Breedlove hardshell case plastered with stickers. Stolen from my home in Northwest Denver on July 24, 2013. Was a birthday/Christmas present from my daughters and wife and I fell in love with it at the Denver Folklore Center. $100 Reward

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stolen Alert - CONCORD, NH

Stolen guitar and amplifier:

-The guitar is a Larrivee OM-03R. Details: It has been modified with a bone nut and saddle, and Grover "Sta-Tite" open back tuners (the originals were closed back). It has a K & K Pure Western Mini Pickup with an endpin jack. A recent bridge repair means that there will be slight noticeable glue lines along the top rear portion of the bridge. The finish is satin, and the sides and back are made of rosewood. Has a black hardshell case. There are not a lot of these guitars around this area!http://www.larrivee.com/3_products/products_loadMovie/03%20series/OM03R/load%20movie/OM03R.html

-Fender Acoustasonic Junior amplifier. This is one of the older non-DSP models. It has real spring reverb. It is made in Mexico.There are not a lot of these non-DSP models around! Was in pretty fantastic condition.http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server800/c0f00/products/19367/images/62878/1__10591.1370552295.1280.1280.jpg

Model OM-03R

• Members

Stolen Alert - Seattle, WA

Stolen: 7/8 size Scott Tchau violin. I believe the model number is STV-600. It's in a black hard case with a sticker showing some cartoonish people playing fiddle and the words "Festival of American Fiddle Tunes, 2000". Finding a 7/8 size with a full sound is a rare find, and this is one of those violins. It is not easily replaceable.

‪#‎StolenMusicInstruments‬ ‪#‎StolenAlert‬ ‪#‎Music‬ ‪#‎Musicians‬‪#‎ScreamingStone‬

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stolen Alert - Seattle, WA

Ibanez SD/GR Bass. Blue. #1P0106071055

Epiphone (Les Paul Signature). Light grey. #12111521601

Raven 200 Combo guitar amp (NO serial number available.

I've had the bass for over 5 years. A gift from my wife. The guitar and amp are only a few months old!!

I am willing to pay $100, if all is found. Sorry that I cannot afford more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stolen Alert - Nevada City, CA

Five 22 string Windspirit Celtic harps levers on F,C,B various woods heart shaped cut-out at top of soundboard 4 with green cases 1 with no case

One 23 string Hummingbird Celtic harp might have full levers or only on F, C, B no case

Rydecki 40-string walnut Folk Harp with electric pickup and full gold-colored sharping levers. Signed inside with sticker.Exceptionally beautiful…carved Luthian model, red Colorado case, repaired at neck

Dusty Strings FH36s 36 string folk harp full levers wenge wood with koa soundboard serial number 8046 no case

Generous REWARD!

• Members

Stolen Alert - Newark (airport), NJ

2 clarinets... Tosca, Buffet Bb Clarinet, serial #535299, value $10,296.00

Buffet R-13 A Clarinet, serial #470058, value $6,205.00

These were my professional set of clarinets. They were in a black, square, backpack case and had all of my equipment (mouthpieces, barrels, reeds, music, etc.) inside. They were stolen at Newark Airport

• Members

Stolen Alert - Chicago, IL

Stolen Band Van and Gear: Our 1997 Chevy conversion van was stolen sometime between 12am-4am last night in the 700 block of N Wood Street in Chicago. Our license plate is 32508 DV.

Gear Stolen: Fender Jazzmaster, fender telecaster sunburst (both American made), Ampeg Reverb Rocket (2x12), squire P- bass, premier drum kit, alesis micron synth, microkorg xl synth, Roland kc-550 keyboard amp, Ampeg ba-115 bass amp, 2 washburn acoustic guitars (one covered in paint. One black electric acoustic cutaway) wood grain squire tele

Contact FayRoy

• Members

Stolen Alert - Richmond, VA

YAMAHA CUSTOM Z SAXOPHONE Serial #C06594. Black lacquer finish with gold inlay.

It means the world to our 17 year son Brandon who has been a student of Karl von Klein at Maggie Walker Governor's School over the past two years.

$300 reward no questions asked.

• Members

Stolen Alert - San Francisco, CA

On Sunday, September 9, around 2:30pm, my guitar was STOLEN. It was in the Mission district, but the guitar can be anywhere by now. If you have seen it, or believe you know somebody who might have it, then I beg you to PLEASE PLEASE contact me.

Specs:

- Serial # 842326

- Martin D15M Dreadnought Acoustic, 6-string Guitar

- Mahogany body, solid dark brown with black pick guard

Events like this are desperately disappointing and heartbreaking, but I am still hoping for that ounce of luck that might reunite me with my beloved instrument. Reward beyond making a wrong thing right can be negotiated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Stolen Alert - Nashville, IN

Vintage Orange '66 Gretsch Chet Atkins Nashville Model Serial#96527.   Stolen from Nashville, Indiana.

Facebook: don.pedigo & donpedigomusic

Reward:$200

www.screamingstone.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stolen Alert - Detroit, MI

Stolen from the band Child Bite (Official) on 09/27/2013 behind Fox Theatre in Detroit.

Van and all gear:

GUITARS:

• ’70s Fender Jazz Bass (Purple) with Badass bass bridge, black tuning pegs, EMG Pickup, stacked pots

• ’98 Fender Toronado (Black) with black pick guard

AMPS:

• 70's Musicman HD-130 R (reverb) Head

• 2 Musicman 2 X 12 Cabs (one w/ wheels, one w/o wheels)

• Ampeg SVT Pro 3 Head

• Rack Mount Tuner (Korg)

• Ampeg 8 X 10

• 70's Sunn Concert Lead Head

• 70's 6 X 10 Sunn Cab

PEDALS: 

• Holy Grail Reverb

• Fulltone Plimsoul Distortion

• Ibanez Tube Screamer

• Morley Wah

• Devi Ever Blue Distortion Pedal

• Boss Chromatic Tuner

• New 85 reissue RAT

• Hughes and Rettner Warp Pedal

• Sansamp

• Boss ME-50 multieffects pedal (blue)

CASES (both w/ logo spray painted):

• Silver Custom Bass Flight Case

• Large Flight Case

MISC.:

• Boss Dr. Sample 303

• Multiple cables

Van:

2001 Dark Green Ford e250 van (no side/back windows)

License Plate CAZ0020

Child Bite

cb\_stolengear.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg

530abae2578ab.jpg