Stolen Instrument List

• Members

STOLEN: Ken Smith “Burner Custom 5” 5-string bass, natural maple finish SN 915385

Ken Smith Burner Custom 5 5-string bass, natural maple finish SN 915385. The bass has several distinct markings, including the visible chip on the tip of the headstock, unusual wear where you see my thumb meeting the pickup (including finish worn through on body), extra small screw holes around the body on back by neckplate and end of instrument, as well as the serial number embossed in the fretboard by the near the top of the neck. The inside of the control cavity plate is signed by Ken Smith on (I believe) 5/8/91. The control cavity cover is held on with mismatched screws. The preamp install is an upgrade and clearly hand done. In gig bag with both shoulder straps broken. This has been the primary instrument for 18 years of a working pro.

Reward: $200

Contact www.ScreamingStone.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

STOLEN: Rickenbacker 4003 bass guitar with Fireglow finish serial number 0609115

Rickenbacker 4003 bass guitar with Fireglow finish. The serial number is 06 09115. It was stolen with the original factory hard case. The bass was in very good condition the last time I saw it.This bass is my prized possession and my baby. We have been through a lot together.

Reward: $300 cash, no questions asked

• Members

STOLEN: 2006 Custom Shop Historic 1958 Les Paul. Tobacco Sunburst. Ser. # 86515

2006 Custom Shop Historic 1958 Les Paul. Tobacco Sunburst. Serial number 8 6515. Custom RS Guitarworks electronics. Custom Shop Seymour Duncan pickups. Notable dings on headstock. A few dings around body. Black "Gibson Custom" Hardshell Case.

REWARD: $100

• Members

STOLEN: 1970 Martin D-45 #265182

1970 Martin D-45 #265182. I just want my guitar back. No questions asked. Also stolen was a Martin D-12/35 but I don't have the serial # for that one. This guitar meant the world to me. I bought it just after coming back home from being wounded in Vietnam.

REWARD: $1000

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Members

Looks like there hasnt been a post here in a while - which is a good thing.

But in case anyone else has any gear jacked, i wanted to et you know about another resource. Its the Stolen Instrument Database aka S.I.D.

Its free to create a stolen instrument report. You can add photos, a description and your contact info. Each report gets its own page you can link to with all your instrument's info.

You can also search the data base by serial number, date of the theft, location, etc for free at https://www.musicpage.com/sid

I hope no one has to use it. But the last band i managed had $40,000 worth of gear jacked. My hope is this database can be used to help with recovery and to prevent future sales of stolen instruments by making it free and easy to search a serial number in a national database.

• Members

Man this is a long list of stolen instruments. Waay too long!

While I hope no-one needs it, I added a free stolen instrument database (S.I.D.) to Musicpage. Like Screaming's site, its totally free to submit a report on your stolen gear, but SID is a little more robust.

If you file a stolen instrument report, S.I.D. creates a custom page with the specs on your stolen gear. The page includes all the details: where it was stolen from, serial number, color, manufacturer, model number, finish, your contact and reward info along with photos. The page will stay up on S.I.D. forever, unless you pull it down (hopefully after recovering your gear).

After you create your report, you will have a link that you can email to people, post of your website, twitter, facebook, etc. The link makes it easier for you to spread the word and give people so they can access your gear's details. You can check out an example of a S.I.D. report here.

We even generate a email alias that redirects messages to your actual email without displaying it in the SID report.

If you are thinking about buying any used gear, you can search SID by serial number, manufacturer, date or location stolen, etc here https://www.musicpage.com/pages/sid

I really hope no one has a need to file a report. But if you do, I hope SID helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340535[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Unfortunately very few musicians get their gear back. In fact of all the musicians who filed a Stolen Instrument Report through our Stolen Instrument Database http://www.musicpage.com/sid not a single one has reported their gear returned.

That said we can only speak to the stolen instruments filed on musicpage.

One note id like to add, since it is tax time, if you have any gear stolen and pay to replace it out of your pocket - there is a good chance you can deduct that as a expense on your tax return. Of course you have to be a musician who has been paid at some point to qualify as a "pro musician."

But if you drop a few hundred or thousand on a replacement instrument, being able to write off the expense can make a big different on your tax return.

Every little bit helps!

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

if you reported it stolen to the police, all you should have had to do was notify the police. The pawn shop is liable for purchasing stolen property...under California law, they have a legal obligation to make sure they are not abetting the thief by receiving stolen property.