Question: Does anybody listen to "High Fidelity Stereo" music anymore?

MyNameIsMok...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Missed this thread the first time around. My mid 80's Snell Model KII's are at Parts Express right now, being refoamed (well, the woofers are). When they return, I'll drop some vinyl on my Dual turntable and crank up my old Yamaha integrated amp. Groovetastic, as Mr Krashpad might say (pun intended).

I had a set of Snell JIIs, and my "new" 15 or so old year old speakers are Snell E.5s...way better than the old K/J series. I have about 3-4 grand of electronics feeding them, but hardly ever listen to the stereo at home anymore. Still have about 1000 albums on vinyl, about the same number of CDs & SACDs, just don't seem to be able to find them time to listen to anything other than in the car.

• Members

I had a set of Snell JIIs, and my "new" 15 or so old year old speakers are Snell E.5s...way better than the old K/J series. I have about 3-4 grand of electronics feeding them, but hardly ever listen to the stereo at home anymore. Still have about 1000 albums on vinyl, about the same number of CDs & SACDs, just don't seem to be able to find them time to listen to anything other than in the car.

I have about 300 albums and the same in CDs I guess but similarly don

• Members

I listen to my iPod if I'm passively listening, i.e. listening to music while cooking, tidying up the house, or something like that. I listen to vinyl when I'm actively listening, i.e. sitting in an armchair (with or without a cold drink) and enjoying the music. Whether it's iPod or turntable, it's through an old NAD receiver into my Paradigm Monitor series speakers. Budget gear, but solid quality and great sound.

That's my philosophy too. A friend has recently started a dj night in her local, though, where she plays whatever vinyl the punters choose to bring (last time round she played three of my records, including Sex Pistols, Chuck Berry & Marlene Dietrich). A lot of fun to hear vinyl played again out there.... I have an Aiwa stereo stack system that my folks bought me for my eighteenth in 1992. Still works (sounds great, though some features are dead, like the 'wake-up' setting). Won't be getting rid of it as it is not work much on the used market, but I plan to sift it into the guest bedroom when I finish that. I am hoping to set up a good new hifi system in my lounge when I have it redecorated, and as I can afford it. I was going to go with a Denon M38DAB and add a turntable, but have recently changed my mind to go with the following:

Marantz 5004 series hii amp

Marantz 5004 Series CD player

A DAB tuner - probably Cambridge Audio (less sold on the notion of spending *big* on this, but I do want to keep the option of radio on there)

A decent iPod dock of some sort that can plug into the amp (not the primary purpose of this set-up, but if I have people in and want to put music on in the background, useful)

I already have a Rega Planar III turntable for this. I want to buy a second one and set them up via an a/b to the amp, the idea being to keep one set permanently to 33RPM, the other 45. (I have a wind-up gramophone; also if I have the space and funds I fancy a late 50s Dansette for 78s and whatever).

I did consider building a single system for audio and home cinema, but a home cinema 5.1 or 7.1 setup is not ideal for most recorded music I gathered when reading into it, and I prefer the idea of separate systems anyhow.

I'm sticking to entry-level audiophile stuff for the simple reason that much above that you quickly get to the point where you can't perceive any difference with the human ear. Sure, you can measure it, it is there, but if I can't hear it, what's the point? Like spending thousands more on a car that has a top speed of 100 more mph, when I only ever drive on public roads within the speed limit. :idk:

There's also a volume limit to how loud I can go, living in a flat / apartment even with walls as solid as mine, so I'll be sticking to some good bookshelf speakers in all likelihood.

Main remaining question is whether to bother with isolation platforms for my speakers / turntables / CD player or not. If there is a perceptible level of sound improvement, might be worth it, otherwise....

• Members

Having been around Hi-Fi for 40+ years I have several systems for listening. I have 2 recording studios and an IMAX sound system to use. My Home studio has JBL 4411 monitors powered by BGW amps. The main studio has NS-10's powered by QSC. The IMAX theater has Danley speakers powered by LabGruppen amps. My turntable is a Sony PS X 600 with a Micro Acoustic cartridge that retailed for $700.00 a long time ago. Although I do listen to MP3's it is never my first choice. The IMAX system is about as high end as you can get anywhere. Look up the Danley speakers to get an idea of the level of RD that can go into a speaker system. Unfortunately it is pretty rare for me to sit and listen to music for the pure pleasure of it. The last time I spun vinyl was probably 20 years ago. When I am at the mastering point of a project I always listen here...................

msi_imax.jpg

• Members

I think that perhaps there's a simple explanation for a lot of folks of my vintage: When I was a teen and in my early 20s, I listened to music in a different way -- I'd not infrequently get stoned and spend hours in front of the stereo. However, nowadays we're in the age of multi-tasking, and I can't recall the last time I did that. Nowadays, I generally have music on, am surfing the web or answering email, while I'm watching sports on TV and perhaps chatting with my wife all at the same time. High-volume music played through big speakers simply has no place in my lifestyle these days, and I think it's even more pronounced for my kids (29 and 21) and their cohort...

• Members

If I want to do any serious listening I have a system in my living room. A friend of mine and I built 2 pair of these speakers (one set for each of us) and although they are the best speakers I've owned, they aren't high end by any stretch. The receiver is a 90 watt per channel Onkyo so it's nothing special. The 10" sub is an old Velodyne servo-sub.

IMG_1315.jpg

• Members

Old thread, but here I am...

I don't know anything about hi-fi or anything like that. My parents used to have a stereo system in the living room that had a big pair of Technics speakers with a Kenwood receiver. I still use the big speakers, and I currently use a Sony receiver that does just fine. I have a pair of desktop Infinitys that sounds very good. Hi-fi? I don't know, but it sounds good to me, and I can use it to listen to my records. I enjoy it just fine.

• Members

I still listen to vinyl and R2R everyday. Here is my vinyl and old gear. Sansui 9090DB Reciever, Polk Monitor 10's (speakers), Pioneer PL518 Turntable, Sansui SP3500's (speakers), Sansui 7000 reel to reel, 2 Akai GX4000db's (reel to reel). I have added an 8 track deck and another turntable (an old technics not sure what model). Also have some other Sansui, Pioneer, Akai, Marantz gear that I dont use.

_DSC0491.jpg

_DSC0497.jpg

• Members

I still listen to vinyl and R2R everyday. Here is my vinyl and old gear. Sansui 9090DB Reciever, Polk Monitor 10's (speakers), Pioneer PL518 Turntable, Sansui SP3500's (speakers), Sansui 7000 reel to reel, 2 Akai GX4000db's (reel to reel). I have added an 8 track deck and another turntable (an old technics not sure what model) that are not pictured (old picture). Also have some other Sansui, Pioneer, Akai, Marantz gear that I dont use. I need to construct a nice entertainment center.

_DSC0491.jpg

_DSC0497.jpg

Archived