Question: Does anybody listen to "High Fidelity Stereo" music anymore?

MyNameIsMok...

• Members

^honeyiscool: tl,dr... I agreed not to feed your ego and ability to derail a good thread to make it "about you". So take your debate somewhere else, thanks. No hard feelings.

Actually, when I read the original post I thought the same thing as Honey. Many audiophiles don't listen to any digital audio or spend hobby time on internet forums. I think that if you were to go to a high-end audio store (one that has TWO or more, dedicated two-channel rooms) you'd find quite a few folks who'd never venture into a forum like this. That's not a slight on musicians, or forum members. It's just not the approach that such enthusiasts tend to embrace. As others have mentioned here, with the market preference for surround-sound digital gear you can get a really high-quality, two-channel setup for relatively little (under $3000) these days ...

Cool, but I was adressing the entire post, not only the parts you agree with. One does not start an interesting, polite conversation by letting everyone know how much one is an expert on a given subject. And one certainly does not learn anything new that way. I could take your and honey's approach, and regurgitate known facts just to impress the cognescenti, or I can remain quiet and humble, and start up an interesting conversation so that I can learn to appreciate others. Like I said, listening is a lost art from a bygone era...and is certainly isn't mastered by showing off one's ability to spew "knowledge".

I appreciate your input, but what this thread is about is being mostly achieved: sitting back and appreciating this forums affinity for things that are not usually spoken about or appreciated by the average person on the street. Not to meet your, or anyone else's arbitrary requrements for what "enthusiasts do" or what "musicians do".

Now if you will excuse me, I have to get back to my Proustian activities as I pine for a simpler time...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Ahh...the rare and magical "dimension" switch. What does it do? Too cool."

That was for adjusting the amount of synthesized 4 channel sound when playing a regular stereo source. The Oscilloscope was hours of fun to watch when using 4 channel: each corner of scope would be corner of the room tracing out what was going where when. Also functioned for adjusting fm antenna for best signal.

Has a slot on the bottom for putting in optional 4 channel decoder, about the size of a small paperback.

There was also a switch on the back so you could go to plain stereo with about 3x the power. I bought it around 1978 for $700 or so. Lot's of money back then.

• Members

I have a pair of Infinity speakers from the late 80s, when they were a high end speaker company, not the purveyors of mediocrity that they've become since Harman bought them. I've since retired them since I couldn't find speakers that sonically matched them for a home theater system. I also have a nice AR turntable, but it's not currently hooked up.

I now listen through a home theater system composed of Focal speakers driven by an Onkyo receiver, and a Velodyne subwoofer.

ARturntable.jpg

Infinityspeaker.jpg

Actionmovies.jpg

I totally LUSTED after those huge Infinity speakers when I was a teen. I always wondered if someday people would move on to something else and those would be lying around unwanted but for some people they are like the '59 Les Paul of stereo loudspeakers.

• Members

... I appreciate your input, but what this thread is about is being mostly achieved: sitting back and appreciating
this
forums affinity for things that are not usually spoken about or appreciated by the average person on the street. Not to meet your, or anyone else's arbitrary requrements for what "enthusiasts do" or what "musicians do"...

So are you saying your original question was rhetorical?

• Members

"Ahh...the rare and magical "dimension" switch. What does it do? Too cool."

That was for adjusting the amount of synthesized 4 channel sound when playing a regular stereo source. The Oscilloscope was hours of fun to watch when using 4 channel: each corner of scope would be corner of the room tracing out what was going where when. Also functioned for adjusting fm antenna for best signal.

Has a slot on the bottom for putting in optional 4 channel decoder, about the size of a small paperback.

There was also a switch on the back so you could go to plain stereo with about 3x the power. I bought it around 1978 for $700 or so. Lot's of money back then.

Ahhh...a vintage 1978...that was a very good year. Possibly the last year of true "vintage" anything, as '79 was (iirc) the advent of the "chromed over plastic" era. Not to mention the dawn of some of the thinnest recordings ever made as people started to (mostly unsuccessfully) experiment with the digital format. But '68 -'78 was a truly magical period of excellent musicianship, songwriting, and some impeccably mixed, warm recordings. Too bad about those 8-tracks though. They never stood a chance.

• Members

letting the 8 track just continue to loop... I can't decide if it's better than auto-reverse
:idk:

Oh snap! You just brought back some crazy memories. Also great is playing tape backwards, and (as someone else mentioned) ...running two at the same time for that natural analog echo/chorus effect.

I think I must have literally spent the entire decade of the 70's with my head beside a pair of woodgrain speakers, daydreaming.

• Members

Now if you will excuse me, I have to get back to my Proustian activities as I pine for a simpler time...

it has never been simpler than now. Any song you want instantly dowloadable and playable through kit that is about one tenth as big as it used to be yet sounds just as good.

• Members

I always feel that way until I go to my Brothers house who has been a collector of vinyl for 50 years. His middle floor looks like Jimmy Pages music room in It Might Get Loud. Believe me there is nothing sound wise like cranking up the vinyl! I also have a ball rumaging through so many albums and coming across album tracks that were killer that I have long forgotten about.

• Members

I finally repaired the woofers in my old Large Advent speakers and started listening through them without any extra speakers. I do miss my old Marantz Receiver (mid 70s model with the blue display and polished silver face).

My turntable only gets used if I copy an album selection to a recordable CD. I don't miss the days of listening to an album side and hoping most of the tracks were good ones....and having no remote to skip the bad songs.

• Members

I'm a 21 year old kid and have been looking into getting a turntable to hook up to my dad's old stereo setup that I don't think has even been turned on in like 5 years or more. Just kinda chills in the basement next to my room. I find it funny that such old technology still provides the best sound audio reproduction, not counting raw, lossless recordings.

• Members

I'm a 21 year old kid and have been looking into getting a turntable to hook up to my dad's old stereo setup that I don't think has even been turned on in like 5 years or more. Just kinda chills in the basement next to my room. I find it funny that such old technology still provides the best sound audio reproduction, not counting raw, lossless recordings.

Cool. Go for it.

Records stopped being mass produced around 1987, so there's plenty up until then. If you peruse the used record shops, take each one out of it's sleeve and make sure it's not scratched. Also take a look at your dad's turntable before playing a record. Make sure that the needle is good. Also, if it's belt drive, you'll likely have to replace the belt - they run about $10. You can get an Audio Technica AT92ECD cartridge and needle for about $35 from eBay. Not super high-end, but much better than a typical cartridge and needle that would have been supplied with the turntable when new.

Have fun!

• Members

Cool. Go for it.

Records stopped being mass produced around 1987, so there's plenty up until then. If you peruse the used record shops, take each one out of it's sleeve and make sure it's not scratched. Also take a look at your dad's turntable before playing a record. Make sure that the needle is good. Also, if it's belt drive, you'll likely have to replace the belt - they run about $10. You can get an Audio Technica AT92ECD cartridge and needle for about $35 from eBay. Not super high-end, but much better than a typical cartridge and needle that would have been supplied with the turntable when new.

Have fun!

There are lots of albums released on vinyl still. Vinyl sales have increased pretty dramatically over the past few years, too. Many include a free MP3 download. Best of both worlds.

Record Store Day is this Saturday. http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

I'm hoping to score the Mastodon/Flaming Lips 7" and the Pete Townshend Quadraphenia Demos.

• Members
Cool. Go for it.

Records stopped being mass produced around 1987, so there's plenty up until then. If you peruse the used record shops, take each one out of it's sleeve and make sure it's not scratched...

Have fun!

I've found a lot of great deals on records at yard sales, too, that's my primary source these days. I picked up a big pile of classic rock and metal records at a church yard sale, believe it or not: Santana, Black Sabbath, AC/DC... it was great. $0.25 each, and the albums were in excellent condition.

• Members

letting the 8 track just continue to loop... I can't decide if it's better than auto-reverse
:idk:

Auto-Reverse was the devil! I've always slept with headphones on, since like the 4th grade, and when I got a Walkman with auto-reverse, I always woke up to dead batteries! Damn thing kept playing all night long, so I had no batteries for the next day. GRRR!

• Members

I have a very nice 7.1 system along with a really big flat screen but when I listen to music, it's strictly stereo. My main front speakers are an old set of Infinity monitors that are fantastic but I got rid of my turntable years ago.

When I had it, I'd bring it out of storage about once a year, mostly out of nostalgia. I'd clean and balance it. Once set up, I'd put on some old treasured vinyl and have a good listen. Snap... pop...shhhhh...crackle... and the old turntable would quickly go back to storage. Finally gave it away to a friend along with about 150 albums. It's been all about CDs for me for a long time now.

• Members

In a day and age of 3 TB hard drives and cable Internet being the norm, why do people act like "raw, lossless recordings" are so out of reach of average listeners?

At full CD quality with a high capacity hard drive, you can hold more lossless files than you will ever listen to in the next 10 years.

I used to be really into digitizing vinyl, and honestly, the vinyl industry is so fueled by nostalgia that it's hard to get them to see that inner groove distortion and pops and cracks are not something that gives life to music, it's something that wasn't on the master tape that shouldn't be in the final playback. I had an excellent vinyl playback setup for a long time and I cleaned my records and needle very well and I rarely had any distortion or cracks or pops or anything. It was also pretty obvious, too, that a lot of records were very well made but a significant number came from the factory with issues. Uncentered spindle, over-compressed masters, shrink wrap causing warping, etc. And when you had a really good CD, it didn't sound worse than the record, it sounded more or less the same, and regardless, you could burn the vinyl to a CD and few would be able to notice the difference.

I have no problems with people who think analog > digital, I think there's a lot of sense in that. However, I think vinyl is not the best form of analog by far, tape is.

Archived