Question: Does anybody listen to "High Fidelity Stereo" music anymore?

MyNameIsMok...

• Members

I still listen to my Bose bookshelf speakers with a Sony 150 watt amp. My only problem with alot of new cd's is that they are highly compressed, they hurt my ears!

I still have my Bose three way multidirectional speakers and a Sony reciever, plus a walnut console turntable/8-track (tube amp) that weighs about a ton and is the size of a coffin.

Of course there is the studio stuff but it's all flat reference monitors and the Bose is in my condo and the Association is pretty conservative about when I can get super loud (not late at night when I'd like). I usually resort to the car Bose, but I don't like driving oblivious, or buzzed, or othrwise engulfed in anything other than driving. I'll probably build a tru hi-fi stereo with towers for the country house when I get more inspired. Need pics of really cool listening rooms like we used to have back in the day, but I guess that time has passed and folks just don't live like that anymore. Shame, really.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow. People don't truly actively listen to music anymore. It's all so passive and regulated to the background/personal listening devices. Then there is the matter of huge and cheap/portable storage drives and the evil shuffle button. No more sitting and beholden to the music. No more waiting for the end of side one, carefully reading the liner notes to see who all played on the cut and knowing when to flip to side two or select another record for a seamless experience. No more staring deeply into an album cover until it reveals it's precious mystical secrets.

An entire era has come and gone and I was too busy living to even notice it.

• Members

I am one of those people who'd be happy with 24 bit 192khz audio. I do usually listen to music on my computer, but that is hooked up to Dynaudio monitors via an Apogee Duet. Sound quality is very good, albeit a little light on the bass. We've just re-connected a CD player to our stereo, which has those big momma Pioneer speakers.

• Members

I still have my Rega turntable and some KEF speakers. Both sadly not in use. Not allowed to set them up. I have a surround system with a Denon amp and Energy tower speakers and rears etc. It sounds pretty cool but I am rarely allowed the luxury of sitting and listening to music on it. So luckily my cars have fairly decent systems that my IPod plugs into. I save all my CDs to my IPod in WAV format.

• Members

Great topic. About 6 months ago I had this exact conversation with my brother.

There are so many affordable/quality stereo setups available yet most people believe a $50 iPod dock is an "upgraded" system?

There is something so special about listening to music on a proper stereo setup. Again, it doesn't need to cost mega-$$$. I guess most people just don't care.

• Members

I don't do the turntable any more, but I have 2 Klipsch KLF-20 mains, KLF-C7 center, KLF-10 surrounds a sub powered by the biggest 5.1 Denon receiver I could find.

It takes up some real estate and gets the house thumping.

CDs sound really good, but you really can tell the difference between a CD and an MP3 through a system like that. MP3s sound really harsh in the high end.

• Members

both of my older brothers have high-end stereo systems with tube amps, expensive turntables and great speakers. they're also both doctors with a lot of disposable income and big houses. I love listening to their systems when i visit, but my NYC studio apt is too tiny for LPs and hi-fi stereo system.

• Members

Wow. People don't truly
actively listen
to music anymore. It's all so passive and regulated to the background/personal listening devices. Then there is the matter of huge and cheap/portable storage drives and the evil shuffle button. No more sitting and beholden to the music. No more waiting for the end of side one, carefully reading the liner notes to see who all played on the cut and knowing when to flip to side two or select another record for a seamless experience. No more staring deeply into an album cover until it reveals it's precious mystical secrets.

I do. I don't have a T.V. so if I get a chance to sit and "veg" this is what I do. My girlfriend thinks it's the weirdest thing.

• Members

I have a very nice hi-fi system. As I started building up a digital music collection I simply added a dock for my zune connected to my receiver. And it may just be my becoming old and deaf, but I'm completely incapable of hearing a difference between a CD and an mp3 ripped anywhere from 192-320kbs. I can hear a clear difference between cassette and CD, however, with CD coming out on top. (with the exception of re-released remixed or remastered albums. I've heard some great albums ruined this way on CD).

Vinyl I find impossible to compare to anything because the mix is typically completely different. So you're not just comparing formats, you're comparing bandwith and the mix itself.

• Members

Anybody have inpirational pics to share of thier home stereos? Or should I try the Smithsonian Museum?

Missed this part. Here's my turntable:

IMG_1360.jpg

And now in its new location. (The drawers under the TV and components are all filled with CDs. I still buy releases on CD or vinyl, not just digitally.):

IMG_1222.jpg

• Members

No photos.... currently still have the Akai stacking system my folks bought me for my eighteenth, in 1992. Gong to replace that soon. I did think of integrating my music into a home cinema system, but decided in the end I'd prefer to have them separate. I have a Rega Planar III sitting waiting to go. Once I redecorate, I'm going to hook that up to probably a little Denon mini-system with DAB / CD. cheap way of doing it - can't afford to go crazy, and there's no point either as I live in a flat and can only go so loud. I'd consider a tube amp, but they're too niche market and expensive for me now. Might, if I get the right deal, still go for separates, as that would give me more channels to hook up a second turntable... Going to look at a/Bing two, though - a second Planar III, so I could keep one permanently set for each of 33 & 45 RPM. The shift to separate would maybe to to accommodate one of those hard-drive boxes that could take on a lot of my CDs, though an Ipod dock would fulfil that function.... The iPod I use for convenience places (out and about, travelling, the kitchen...) where the stereo is not a real option, but for sitting down and actually listening, I prefer the lounge system. Recently taken up jive dancing, but I suspect I'd have some pretty pissed off neighbours if I had a hop in my place.... ;)

• Members

Right here. I have 3 or 4 of everything, tuners, receivers, integrated amps, turntables, and speakers. Here's a turntable I just picked up at Goodwill for $15 with the cartridge: Technics SL-Q3.

7074094785_401a6a799f_z.jpg

It was pretty grody when I bought it. Cleaned it with dish soap and water.

6938304870_0154910725.jpg

• Members

Digital music listener here, but I always pop for FLAC when I can, and listen through a nice set of Westones. You can imagine the ruckus my wife would raise if I played anything loud in the house when she considers my unplugged electric solidbody playing "too noisy". ;)

• Members

Right here. I have 3 or 4 of everything, tuners, receivers, integrated amps, turntables, and speakers. Here's a turntable I just picked up at Goodwill for $15 with the cartridge: Technics SL-Q3.

7074094785_401a6a799f_z.jpg

It was pretty grody when I bought it. Cleaned it with dish soap and water.

6938304870_0154910725.jpg

Wow! GREAT find! A lot of people don't know what they have. Technics makes good stuff.

Like the red plinth on the Rega at the top of the page.

• Members

Wow. People don't truly
actively listen
to music anymore. It's all so passive and regulated to the background/personal listening devices. Then there is the matter of huge and cheap/portable storage drives and the evil shuffle button. No more sitting and beholden to the music. No more waiting for the end of side one, carefully reading the liner notes to see who all played on the cut and knowing when to flip to side two or select another record for a seamless experience. No more staring deeply into an album cover until it reveals it's precious mystical secrets.

Nope, we've returned to a single based system rather than albums (which really were only predominately popular in the 70's an part of the 80s). As far as linear notes, again its become more like the "glory days" of the 50's when you got a single with little knowledge of who played anything on the track other than the artists face on the cover. Life's weird like that. Give it another 5 to 10 years when the "album app" takes off and we'll come full circle where people will be looking for the whole album experience digging deeply into each track...including personal remixing of source material on the fly and living artwork which interacts with the user...

• Members

Wow. People don't truly
actively listen

This is a forum for musicians.

Musicians always have had the worst radios. Lot of us are too busy playing and writing and practicing to be listening to a lot of new music.

Go to any of the various audiophile forums on the Internet. Active music listening is the norm for a lot of people.

• Members

Is that a Pro-Ject? I've always been a fan. They make very visually appealing equipment that is very affordable.

I'm 99% sure it is a Rega. A red plinth wouldn't be unusual, you can pick a color, and the tone arm looks like Rega's

Archived