The Mystrious Gibson Moderne

fuzztone

• Members

If a "Vintage Modified" version of the Moderne were released with a better headstock,

it would sell.

Replacing the Moderne headstock with a Flying V or Les Paul straight-pull headstock

would make the instrument more functional and less strange looking.

the one "semi-verified" example of a prototype Moderne had a Les Paul neck.....that vintage modified enuff to suit you?

The one Dan Erlewine had in 1970-1971 and subsequently passed through Gruhn's is the one I am referring to. It ended up in Japan at Ishibashi and became the model that Ibanez based their reproduction on.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They were released.

I've played all four of these at Mars Music (a defunct retailer). They were all junk in my opinion. All of

these had cheap-o bolt-on necks with fairly abysmal fretwork. The bodies were made of Asian mysterywood.

Actually you did not, would have been one of the released E-Series. Epiphone had the E-Series and yes many were released, however the ones pictured were not - those in the pic were prototypes. They did indeed have a Moderne but not like the one pictured. I had a E-Series V for about 2 hours, bought it at GC on blow-out for $99 and my wife was so pissed I took it back lol. Was not a well made guitar. Before I found my set neck re-issue, I probably lost 2 or 3 eBay auctions for e-series Modernes. Glad I never bought one of those.

And mine is for sale if anybody is interested. I just did a count last night, I have to many guitars again lol.

Here is an article on the e-series but they don't even mention the Moderne. It had a bolt on neck and no pickguard.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=82007

• Members
Epiphone Moderne

moderne.gif

It was part of an Epiphone limited edition USA collection that was never released. They were designed by Kurt Hendrick.

Epiphone Comet

comet.gif

Epiphone Apollo

What about...

apollo.gif

Epiphone Futura

futura.gif

Actually Epiphone did release the Futura, in a natural finish. I tried one out at my favorite guitar shop (Cream City Music) last year. It sounded pretty good, but sadly had the same bugaboo for me that every Explorer-type guitar has - the body shape clashes ergonomically with my playing style (I hang guitars up high), reared its ugly head up again. :(

547942.jpg

• Members

there nothing "straight" about the pull on either of those models.

I might add that I should have called the "Les Paul straight pull" headstock by its

proper name, the Gibson straight pull headstock, which is often called the Pat Martino

headstock. This headstock does pull the strings straight. The V (at least the Gibson

V) headstock is nice and compact, but pulls the strings at slight angles across the

nut.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
I can't believe people would actually buy this. Some serious ugly going on there. I suppose its the same as people buying those hideous, outrageous BC Rich type dragon guitars.

---------------Everyone in the world has different tastes, and I am sure that there are plenty of people who would and will consider what you like to be "ugly":facepalm:. Those "hideous" B.C. Rich guitars that resembled "dragons" to you, contained the finest Honduras Mahogany, Hawaiian Koa and Highest quality Maple along with Brazilian Rosewood, and then was HANDCARVED with machetes into a guitar:eek:, then outfitted with the finest hardware and pickups available at the time:thu:. Your tastes are your own, but the tone of these guitars has made them one of the highest collectable guitars in the new tier of guitar collecting.............The REAL Rocker.

• Members
Guys, the reason the '58 Gibson Moderne is so mysterious is because it was probably never built. Ted McCarty was interviewed about it more than once and stated that he never saw one. He remembered that they intended to build 1 or 2 prototypes for NAMM, but he didn't believe it ever happened or they would have been shown and there was no record of them being seen. The only option to that is that they were built and destroyed to appease the gods of good taste, or were stolen by Gibson employees, which seems really far-fetched.

Re: Billy Gibbons' Moderne. It's a fake, guaranteed. He just loves pulling peoples' chains over stuff like that.

D

----------------First, I agree with you on Billy Gibbons. Billy nevers tell the truth about ANYTHING in his collection, and people have been calling him out for more than 30 years, and he has never been able to put up or shut up, even when people offered him the chance to do so quietly:rolleyes:.

As for the McCarty quote, may I ask where that it was from?:confused: I was lucky enough to chat with Mr McCarty years ago, and was informed(by him, and other gibson employees from the past), that Gibson ALWAYS made several prototypes of all new models(better concensus of the model's playability and tonal questions). The Moderne was featured at N.A.M.M, and was written up in that year by one of the major science magazines. While it may have never gone into PRODUCTION, there was several made that were prototypes:). Perhaps there just wasn't enough offers to justify placing them into production(and If Mr. McCarty WASN'T the original designer, the model may have lacked a champion to push them thru.;)). I highly doubt they were stolen:cop:, since the guys in the factory could have built one for themselves quietly If they wanted one.............The REAL Rocker.

• Members

Thanks! I got it at a local store for $999. The same place I got the Firebird for $799 last week.

DSCF3733.jpg

dood you got every fukn guitar evAr

(and those pics still kill me :thu:)

if they did a reissue, id get one...would be kool in korina

i like the gibson reverse(?) firebird studios MF has @ $850

great stuff dood :thu:

Archived