dood you got every fukn guitar evAr

(and those pics still kill me
:thu:
)

if they did a reissue, id get one...would be kool in korina

i like the gibson reverse(?) firebird studios MF has @ $850

great stuff dood
:thu:

Gibson now makes the Moderne XI $1699 at the Music Zoo.

They have the inverted V Futura headstock and slim taper neck with Grenadillo fretboard. The guy who used to own mine sold it to buy a Gibson.

3d6b22837c3e0c7c75a7e897769ec632.jpg

• Members

Lookee what I found in my neighborhood store today.

DSCF3708.jpg

Congrats, man! You always eem to find the coolest stuff and great deals.

I don't really GAS for electrics anymore, but I have to say that I am sort of obsessed with the Moderne. I actually like them better than the Explorer and Flying V. I doubt I'll ever be able to get my hands on one. Maybe if Epiphone reissues them again.

To me the hottest Gibsons are the Les Paul, the 335, the 295 and the Moderne, but I think I'd rather own a Moderne (in gorgeous natural Korina) than any of the others.

Hope you are digging it!

• Members

Thanks! It's a nice guitar.I find it comfortable to play. It's not neck heavy so it hangs well on a strap and I can balance it on my knee sitting down.

Check out this Moderne! I thought it was a NAMM guitar but was told by the guy who "literally" wrote the book on Modernes it isn't a real Gibson.

6611_DSCN2421_1.jpg

6611_DSCN2422_1.jpg

6611_DSCN2442_1.jpg

6611_DSCN2444_1.jpg

• Members

Haters gonna hate. My Corvus with a Duncan Distortion brings the toan....

Ha! I actually dig alotof the weirdo models Gibson has come up with over the years. Not a fan of that Firebird XXX thing, but I do like the Reverse V from recent years.

As far as older oddball Gibby's, I used to own a '76 Marauder and loved it (wish I'd kept it.) The Victory bass was cool, and I've played a few Corvuses...thought they were nice too...just too small-bodied for me.

I also like the Sonex.

• Members

----------------First, I agree with you on Billy Gibbons. Billy nevers tell the truth about ANYTHING in his collection, and people have been calling him out for more than 30 years, and he has never been able to put up or shut up, even when people offered him the chance to do so quietly:rolleyes:.

True. Kinda.

The Rev has a Moderne, he purchased (as legit) from a well known "Dealer" from Texas in the late '70's.

Hell, Guitar World magazine was even going to fly it to N.Y.C. to have John Peden do a gatefold for it, and a feature, in the mid-'80's.

'Twas then, said "Dealer" had to cop to it being a fake, and refund the Rev's $$ and a gift or three.

So no, unicorn poo @ this point.....

• Members

True. Kinda.

The Rev has a Moderne, he purchased (as legit) from a well known "Dealer" from Texas in the late '70's.

Hell, Guitar World magazine was even going to fly it to N.Y.C. to have John Peden do a gatefold for it, and a feature, in the mid-'80's.

'Twas then, said "Dealer" had to cop to it being a fake, and refund the Rev's $$ and a gift or three.

So no, unicorn poo @ this point.....

The moderne is like the Sasquatch of the guitar world. This is the first a photo of a "Moderne". It appeared in Tom Wheeler's 1974 book about the Golden Age of Gibson Guitars.

wheelerbookmodernesmall.jpg

This is a photo of Billy Gibbons's "Moderne from a 1979 book about ZZ Top.

billygmoderenesmall.jpg

One of those photos must have inspired this Ibanez "Futura" which was made in the late 70s

onstand1.gif

• Members

I built this one Last year? .. I think ? or maybe it was the year before.. I can't remember.

either way, I have 3 more under constuction for various folks.

I really like these things. they have a very thick rock monster tone.

of course they are not for everyone, but if you have a balls, they will sure make you stand out on stage.

The new ones Gibsons making now, have the WRONG headstock shape and they just look silly to me....

DSC02529.jpg

DSC02533.jpg

DSC02554.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

DSC02535.jpg

DSC02536.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02534.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I built this one Last year? .. I think ? or maybe it was the year before.. I can't remember.

either way, I have 3 more under constuction for various folks.

I really like these things. they have a very thick rock monster tone.

of course they are not for everyone, but if you have a balls, they will sure make you stand out on stage.

The new ones Gibsons making now, have the WRONG headstock shape and they just look silly to me....

DSC02529.jpg
DSC02533.jpg
DSC02554.jpg
DSC02532.jpg
DSC02535.jpg
DSC02536.jpg
DSC02569.jpg
DSC02534.jpg

That is really killer looking. Put some chrome hardware and neck binding on that thing (along with some cash in my pocket to pay for it haha) and I'd be trying to convince you into building me one.

• Members

"Gumby" headstock is IMO the only way to go on these, as long as it is the "appropriate" update with the Steinberger direct tuners as I posted earlier from the Gibson reverse Explorer. The original Gumby with the Tulip tuners is a bad {censored} storm of conflicting styles. The current "Split V" is actually a better match IMO (from a design standpoint) than the OLD "Gumby" but an updated Gumby with the Steinbergers is ultimately the best choice with this design.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Amen.

• Members

My Moderne Story:

In 1988 I was going to trade in my old Roland Guitar Synth system in on a new Charvel Model 4 shred machine.

But at the store I was trading it in at (LaVonnes in Savage Minnesota) they had one of the Gibson reissues in mint condition:

Played like butter, I could play it sitting down just fine for some reason, sounded great and the wood looked nice.

Same price as the Charvel.

I got the Charvel.

I was an IDIOT! That Moderne is worth so much more money these days. ACK!

• Members

That is really killer looking. Put some chrome hardware and neck binding on that thing (along with some cash in my pocket to pay for it haha) and I'd be trying to convince you into building me one.

so, apparently, the only problem with that senario .. is the cash in your wallet. story of my life.

I'd be able to live a real life if i could find customers with cash.:D

and BTW. that white one is currently up on ebay for sale ..

• Members

I think I rather prefer the "v" headstock to the "gumby" but I would definitely take one either way. Still one of the only guitars that gives me GAS.

I think the only one I ever had my hands on was a real cheapo mini-bodied single pickup Epiphone version that had a built-in speaker I saw at a shop in the Midwest about 15 years back. It was a POS and aside from the basic body style (in miniature...half-sized with no pickguard) was about as UNlike a Moderne as you can get.

• Members

My Moderne Story:

In 1988 I was going to trade in my old Roland Guitar Synth system in on a new Charvel Model 4 shred machine.

But at the store I was trading it in at (LaVonnes in Savage Minnesota) they had one of the Gibson reissues in mint condition:

Played like butter, I could play it sitting down just fine for some reason, sounded great and the wood looked nice.

Same price as the Charvel.

I got the Charvel.

I was an IDIOT! That Moderne is worth so much more money these days. ACK!

Yeah,I think Gibson only made 183 of them in the 80s. By the way,I got my Moderne(replica) at My Music Store in Golden Valley Minnesota.

DSCF3880_zpsee61253c.jpg

• Members

so, apparently, the only problem with that senario .. is the cash in your wallet. story of my life.

I'd be able to live a real life if i could find customers with cash.
:D

and BTW. that white one is currently up on ebay for sale ..

Do you have a link Bruce? I couldn't find it.

DSC02529.jpg

Archived