So who here loves a good fuzz pedal?

warriorpoet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by warriorpoet View Post
How'd you like the Catalinbread?
i like it a lot... it can do fairly tame but if you turn the gain past half way it's a squealing monster... which can be hard to control, but fun if you get it right

and the fact that it's so tiny amuses me, considering how much of a beast it is

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GREC View Post
I love my English Muff'n even more than my '76 Muff.
Strum lightly & it's nice & clean, strum hard & its Marshall-esque. Very touch sensitive. And you can swap out the tubes easily for different tones/gain.

attachment.php?attachmentid=348363&d=134
I was interested in the English Muffin when it was first released, particularly Peter Stroud's video, but it dropped off the radar rapidly. I'm going to look into it again. Thanks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
I never had a fuzz or wanted one

Then I heard this and had to have it

Now it is my favourite pedal and I don't think I'd be happy without it
You might like this, its kind of a mix of fuzz and distortion and can even be used as an overdrive on lower gain settings-great pedal thumb.gif

And of course, how can you not like the Big Muff?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Raymar

View Post

Just curious, exactly what year was it that stomp boxes became referred to as pedals? There is no pedal on a stomp box yet they're called pedals. They're even put in pedal boards that often don't have a pedal(wah wah, volume, etc.) in them. idn_smilie.gif

Actually, I believe they were known as pedals for a long time before the term stomp boxes was born.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bro Blue

View Post

I have EH fuzzes, a Swollen Pickle Mk.II, even a Dano Cool Cat fuzz. I love them all. Very useful, versatile pedals. I tend to like the silicon fuzzes a little better

I just got one and it hauls so much ass. It's my go to dirt pedal now.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
I never had a fuzz or wanted one

Then I heard this and had to have it

Now it is my favourite pedal and I don't think I'd be happy without it
thumb.gif That's the vid that clinched for me too. The Pharaoh is the central ingredient in my tonal recipe - juices up the amp nicely and makes it crunch the way I like.

• Members

...and now for something a little different...

This is a Trostsky overdrive with a couple minor mods, stacked with a GuitarPCB Stage 3 booster.

IMG_20120903_224207.jpg
IMG_20120903_224914.jpg
IMG_20120903_224936.jpg

So why different? If you're familiar with the Trostky, it's a modified Electra boost circuit using an old Soviet silicon transistor and germanium clipping diodes. Long story short, it's kinda fuzzy. I increased the input signal and decreased the clipping threshold at the diode stage, and voila' FUZZ! What a gloriously articulate and sparkly fuzz, though. It's like a nice OD and a Si fuzzface running in parallel. hit the boost, and SOLO! It's a nice combination, and a relatively simple build, once you get past wiring two circuits in one medium-sized box...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mistersully View Post
love to hear some clips of your pedals if you get the time
Heh. I'd love to make a bunch, but I have 5 little girls running around here that show up on anything micced wink.gif

I'll see what I can do with the next batch; it'll be worth making clips of. Think hybrid Fuzz Face + Rangemaster with a Big Muff EQ stack.

• Members

Definitely likes me some fuzz. I only own 2 fuzz pedals though. Of course I only have 1 of every other type of effect/stomp so it's by far the effect I own the most of smile.gif

The VFE Fiery Red Horse is my main unit with a good amount of versatility. For $30 I'm also pretty pleased with my BBE Free Fuzz too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by monstermaker View Post
I had a Univox Fuzz that had a switch to choose either fat or hard edged tone. I wish I still had it.
thumb.gif Back in the early 70s I live on Long Island where Univox had it's warehouse. Lots of folks had these. I recently checked Ebay to see about picking one up - they're going for $400+ ! eek.gif
Should have kept one from back in the day.

• Members

I don't own nearly as many fuzzes as i'd like. I have an NYC Big Muff with a tone bypass switch that i semi-installed. I also have a BYOC fuzz face (germanium) That i absolutely adore. I put the bias pot on the outside and i can get some really wonky stuff with it like that. I need to solder a couple of grounds back though, one broke off on the output jack and now it just humbuzzes like no tomorrow. freak.gif

Archived