So who here loves a good fuzz pedal?

warriorpoet

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-M

View Post

thumb.gif That's the vid that clinched for me too. The Pharaoh is the central ingredient in my tonal recipe - juices up the amp nicely and makes it crunch the way I like.

Same here. I love mine. I got the seafoam green one from Humbucker Music.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-M

View Post

thumb.gif That's the vid that clinched for me too. The Pharaoh is the central ingredient in my tonal recipe - juices up the amp nicely and makes it crunch the way I like.

I really do want to get a Pharaoh sometime. That sounds like one really great pedal.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hardtdc

View Post

I really do want to get a Pharaoh sometime. That sounds like one really great pedal.

When I was shopping around for fuzz and checking out demo clips it was the only one that said, "Yes, you MUST buy me - dooo iiiit!".

It's a keeper - I'll never give it up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele

View Post

gotta love the fuzz

I like tonebenders

byoc mkII non-esv. i also have a byoc leeds (univox super) and a PE Yardbox (3 knob tonebender)

fuzz.jpg

Cool! How do you like the BYOC kits? I've had a lot of fun with the GuitarPCB boards and a couple from Madbeans, but never tried BYOC.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo68

View Post

The Black Arts Toneworks PHAROAH is an excellent fuzz pedal

http://blackartstoneworks.blogspot.com/

That looks interesting. Will it run off a Pedal Power 2 or standard 9v AC/DC? Also, does it have problems with buffers in front of it?

My Sunface is a Fuzz Face clone so it's positive ground...which means 9v battery only. Also, it has problems with buffered pedals in front, so it won't work with a wireless setup. I still like it and have learned how to get it to sound excellent but the dated design makes it less than ideal.

• Members

BYOC are steller ...ive been through a bunch of Boutiquey pedals but I always end up with just this mkII. ive had this since 2007.

its more versatile than people give it credit for. It can sound like most Tonebenders from mk1.5 to 3, vox tonebers, solosound etc; sounds like all of them. with the trimpot on the voltage you can drain the power to get a ratty, half dead garage rock sound, or full on it gets into fuzz face territory.

byoc.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by warriorpoet

View Post

Cool! How do you like the BYOC kits? I've had a lot of fun with the GuitarPCB boards and a couple from Madbeans, but never tried BYOC.

• Members

I just got a big muff pi with tone wicker. Its my first fuzz and I always wanted to try a big muff. At first I didn't quite like it, but I was forced to play at very low volume through my ac4tv. Even with the gain all the way down it sounded very saturated and while the lows were smooth as expected, there was a bit of a harsh, raspy, buzzy top end with and without the wicker. Then I rolled down the guitar volume a bit and it took the edge right off resulting in very nice smooth fuzzy sustaining goodness. Previously I had always been a bit skeptical about the whole using the volume knob to clean up pedals ans amps thing and usually left it wide open.

The only remaining issue is that the tone wicker seems a bit noisy when engaged. Might just be a symptom of boosting the highs. Anyone else have experienced this?

• Members

That looks interesting. Will it run off a Pedal Power 2 or standard 9v AC/DC? Also, does it have problems with buffers in front of it?

My Sunface is a Fuzz Face clone so it's positive ground...which means 9v battery only. Also, it has problems with buffered pedals in front, so it won't work with a wireless setup. I still like it and have learned how to get it to sound excellent but the dated design makes it less than ideal.

Standard 9 volt for the Pharaoh and I assume the LSTR as well. Not sure about buffers since I don't have any. Mark is the owner/builder of BAT and he's great at answering questions. I know I asked a ton while I was considering the Pharaoh since it was my first fuzz. Dealing with Mark is a lot like dealing with Bryan of BG Pups for me...very positive experience.

• Members

The only remaining issue is that the tone wicker seems a bit noisy when engaged. Might just be a symptom of boosting the highs. Anyone else have experienced this?

What are you using to power the pedal? If it's noisy with a fresh 9v battery, and your guitar/ amp aren't noisy by themselves, the issue's in the circuit. Keep in mind noise is an inherent characteristic of a high-gain circuit, and the only remedy may be to shield or relocate a portion of the pedal's wiring.

• Members

This is the one I used to have

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/73-fuzz-tones/161-tone-bender-3-knob-boutique

I've written it off as MIA and etched a new PCB last week. Now the search for parts begins.

Damn you WP for getting me hankering for phuz again!

LOL. Here's a fuzz project that will blow your mind ;)

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/forums/topics/show/3089724-g-b-o-f-the-all-in-one-fuzz-

Hey Verne (snicker), if you post a build log for your Tone Bender, I'll post one for one of my upcoming builds. Let's see if we can spread the DIY virus :)

• Members
Hey Verne (snicker), if you post a build log for your Tone Bender, I'll post one for one of my upcoming builds. Let's see if we can spread the DIY virus
:)

LOL - you're on, but careful what you ask for.

Back in the early 2000's I met this younger fellow who followed his girlfriend here, she was going to university. They moved into my apt building and, since we are both guitar players, one thing led to another.

He had this crazy idea about putting a Univibe and Mutron in a single pedal but didn't know anything about electronics. I've done industrial design and marketing over the years, plus I had basic electronics from school, tv and radio electronics in college and spent time in the early 70's as a bench tech but forgot prolly more than I knew.

One of the projects we made in jr high was to use tape to make a crude circuit on a copper board that we etched, drilled and populated. I suggested there may be an easier/more modern way to do it and, sure enough, we found the blue paper used to iron transfer circuits onto copper. Before you knew it we were having a riot building up all sorts of things - the Phuz being one of them.

Beware - This is what the DIY bug has done to him!

• Members

This one isn't a fuzz, but I'm particularly proud of the way it came out. It uses 2 transistor based "jack of all mini-boosters" plus an op-amp mixer circuit I built up on a breadboard.

It has 4 inputs and 6 outputs. Inputs 1 and 2 [on back of chassis] go to through the boosters and to outputs 1 and 2, also on the back. The big black jack on the back is the output from the mixer circuit that sums all 4 inputs[this also goes to an XLR on the side] - the silver knobs control the mixer channel levels. The other 2 inputs are on the side - one is a 1/4" and the other an XLR. There is a switch that lets me choose the input source for channel 1 - either 1/4" input 1 or the XLR - that way I can also use it with a mic if needed.

The 2 outside stomp switches engage the boosters for their respective channels. The middle stomp takes the output from booster 1 and feeds it to the input on booster 2 for double the gain. There are a couple switches that turn the output of the boosters on/off - that way I can mute a channel if needed.

And, of course, nothing is labeled so when I get really old nobody will ever be able to figure out how to make it work LOL!

• Members

Members only?

LOL - you're on, but careful what you ask for.

Back in the early 2000's I met this younger fellow who followed his girlfriend here, she was going to university. They moved into my apt building and, since we are both guitar players, one thing led to another.

He had this crazy idea about putting a Univibe and Mutron in a single pedal but didn't know anything about electronics. I've done industrial design and marketing over the years, plus I had basic electronics from school, tv and radio electronics in college and spent time in the early 70's as a bench tech but forgot prolly more than I knew.

One of the projects we made in jr high was to use tape to make a crude circuit on a copper board that we etched, drilled and populated. I suggested there may be an easier/more modern way to do it and, sure enough, we found the blue paper used to iron transfer circuits onto copper. Before you knew it we were having a riot building up all sorts of things - the Phuz being one of them.

Beware -
is what the DIY bug has done to him!

LOL, that's amazing!

I do this as a hobby- it's my destresser after "doing music" and ministering to people all day. There's something so calming about molten metal...

The members only thing is so you can be notified of sales. Barry does AWESOME sales.

• Members

Another fuzz addict here. I've cut down on muffs, settled for just a Swollen Pickle, which gives me a nice range of doomy tones, as well as pumpkins type stuff. Still sorta having a hard time resisting gas for a Musket though, and I guess I would want to finally try out an ic muff too one day.

Other than that, the only big gaps in my arsenal: A good hot rodded fuzz face (Does a fuzz factory count?) and a some sort of Tonebender clone.

I *might* want to replace my FZ-2 with something that's a bit closer to the original superfuzz circuit, and if I find the chance to ditch my fuzz factory for a Fuzz God II, I'm hitting that too.

Consider that reverse spam:lol:

• 1 month later...

Archived