Most Misinterpreted Songs

soundcreation

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot

View Post

I still hated Born in The U.S.A., even after figuring out it wasn't a jingoistic jangle. Then again, I just don't like Bruce's singing. Often sounds like he's constipated.

Switching back to the actual topic, there are tons of songs that get misinterpreted, especially popular songs that most people never think about. For example, "Electric Avenue" is about class riots, not partying; a lot of people think "Push" by Matchbox 20 is about being abusive, but it's actually about being abused; "Even Flow" is about the homeless. Misinterpretation happens a lot.

• Members

Toni Basil - "Mickey"

OK, folks, brace yourself. Everyone was singing along to this song and very few people knew it was about...anal sex.

The lyrics are actually very explicit and make it clear.

"So when you take me by the....who's ever gonna know?"

"Any way you want to do it, I'll take it like a man"!!!!

Parents, don't let your children listen to this song!!!!

hey-mickey---toni-basil-7.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by taxerman

View Post

Toni Basil - "Mickey"

OK, folks, brace yourself. Everyone was singing along to this song and very few people knew it was about...anal sex.

The lyrics are actually very explicit and make it clear.

"So when you take me by the....who's ever gonna know?"

"Any way you want to do it, I'll take it like a man"!!!!

Parents, don't let your children listen to this song!!!!

hey-mickey---toni-basil-7.jpg

In order to make that argument stand up, I think you have to explain this away....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXVcyVEO6A

• Members

^^^ Wow! I never knew that existed. I figured Toni Basil might not had written Mickey, but never realized it was a cover.

As for misinterpreted songs, the Cure's "Killing An Arab" can be added to the list. It was accused of racism, but was instead based upon the Albert Camus novel The Stranger.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable

View Post

In order to make that argument stand up, I think you have to explain this away....

Wait a minute, you think a cover has the exact same meaning as the original? Wow. I suggest you listen to Aretha Franklin's "Respect." You really think Aretha's cover has the same meaning as Otis Redding's original?

You do realize that the gender of the "Kitty" song has been reversed by Basil, don't you?

You do realize that some lyrics have been changed, don't you?

"When you take me by the hand, who's ever gonna know" - original version

"When you take me by the whooooo's ever gonna know" - "Mickey," note how Basil drops the "hand" and leaves what she wants to be taken by completely unsaid. Leaving something unsaid is an artist's clever way of being dirty without actually being dirty. You fill in the blank there. Why doesn't she say "hand" like in the original? I'll tell you why, because Basil is singing about a completely different subject than the original. She ain't talking about her boyfriend taking her hand!

My God, just listen to "Mickey." It is a song about anal sex.

And if you don't believe me, if you don't believe your own ears, then go read some interviews with Basil. She herself has said the song is about anal sex.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by taxerman

View Post

Wait a minute, you think a cover has the exact same meaning as the original? Wow. I suggest you listen to Aretha Franklin's "Respect." You really think Aretha's cover has the same meaning as Otis Redding's original?

You do realize that the gender of the "Kitty" song has been reversed by Basil, don't you?

You do realize that some lyrics have been changed, don't you?

"When you take me by the hand, who's ever gonna know" - original version

"When you take me by the whooooo's ever gonna know" - "Mickey," note how Basil drops the "hand" and leaves what she wants to be taken by completely unsaid. Leaving something unsaid is an artist's clever way of being dirty without actually being dirty. You fill in the blank there. Why doesn't she say "hand" like in the original? I'll tell you why, because Basil is singing about a completely different subject than the original. She ain't talking about her boyfriend taking her hand!

My God, just listen to "Mickey." It is a song about anal sex.

And if you don't believe me, if you don't believe your own ears, then go read some interviews with Basil. She herself has said the song is about anal sex.

So, I'm guessing you have a problem with anal sex. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by caveman

View Post

The Kings Men's version of "Louie Louie" was banned in Indiana, investigated by the FBI and the subject of wide spread conjecture over it's supposedly obscene lyrics.

That was the first one I thought of. It's controversy even spawned some great music:

Archived