Most Misinterpreted Songs

soundcreation

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Grant Lee Buffalo, Mockingbirds. I always thought that the lyrics started, "Davis Station," but Phillips was was singing "devastation." I simply thought Davis Station was a train station somewhere around UC, Davis.

One famous misheard lyric is Cream's Sunshine of Your Love. "I'll give you a dull surprise." It's actually, "I'll give you a dawn surprise." I too thought it was "dull surprise" until I saw the printed lyrics.

• Members

Contrary to popular belief, the Byrds' "Eight Miles High" is not actually about drugs.

Sure, and Steely Dan's Aja isn't about shooting heroin (even though Fagen and Becker state that it's about the Chinese part of some city.)

Double entrendres are the staple of suggestive and euphemistic lyrics.

• Members

Well no one has mentioned possibly the most famous one in history- Lucy in the Sky(With Diamonds). John was always adament it was a picture Julien had drawn in school about a girl named Lucy and being the straight shooter he was I believe him. Though you couldnt come up with better lyrics for an LSD trip if you tried lol.

Two well known mistaken lyrics I remember were Purple Haze's "Scuse me while I kiss the sky"which many thought was "Scuse me while I kiss this guy" and Billy Idols "Eyes without a Face" which I heard many sing-"Hows about a Date."

Archived