School me on Carving guitars please.

Slunderfungus

• Members

There is a niceCarvin guitar for sale locally, and I might be able to pull off a trade staright across for my guitar. The only problem is I am having a hard time jivving with the pickups. I know they are active as there is a battery compartment and this one has Dual humbuckers with a standard three way switch, and two tone and two volume then it has three smaller switches that really {censored} wih the sound. Its almost like they kinda work as coil taps and kinda like in and out of phase {censored}. Anyway, I'm only finding a couple positions I even like. Can anyone tell me what this could possible be, is it something found on special ordered guitars? At any rate I know pickups can be swapped out. The guitar itself plays really sweet and is biuld very well. I like the over all feel of the guitar.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's the neck thru construction. The guitar acts as if it's only a neck. The active stuff wont make golden tone. It just helps shape the output for a reasonable distorted lead sound. The one advantage is you can crank the gain(s) for maximum sustain without losing note definition. That said, I suppose the guitar presents a wide range of recording possibilities where the plinky sound might be just the thing. idn_smilie.gif

And that said, Carvins are well made but so are many many other similarly priced instruments. If it's a "looking for YOUR voice" kinda thing, choose wisely.

• Members

I've had a Carvin since the early 80's bought it new. I concurr never liked the pu's but the build is stellar, never sold because no resale value. Resently switched out bridge pu for a Lawrance better but not really my cup of tea, more metal less blues.

• Members

Wow, thats kind of an eye opener. It is biult really well and has an awesome feel, but they want $700 for it. Its a DC400 with a solid color no maple top. My other choice I've been tossing around is buying a Tele Thinline body and just switching out a lot of my hardware to it just to lighten up the guitar a bunch. But to do that would bastardizing a fairly rare guitar so I doubt that I'll go that route.

• Members

Base price on a new DC600 (seems the 400s are no longer) is $799.
So to me $700 is way too much.
For a hunnerd more you can order a basic model with standard passive pickups.
I paid $320 or so for this one back in 1983.
I could prob get $300-$400 for it nowadays so resale is crap, but I'd never sell it its too darn good.
Build quality is up there with anybody.
Still stock, great guitar.
Picture13-2.jpg
82_dc100-small.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Slunderfungus

View Post

There is a niceCarvin guitar for sale locally, and I might be able to pull off a trade staright across for my guitar. The only problem is I am having a hard time jivving with the pickups. I know they are active as there is a battery compartment and this one has Dual humbuckers with a standard three way switch, and two tone and two volume then it has three smaller switches that really {censored} wih the sound. Its almost like they kinda work as coil taps and kinda like in and out of phase {censored}. Anyway, I'm only finding a couple positions I even like. Can anyone tell me what this could possible be, is it something found on special ordered guitars? At any rate I know pickups can be swapped out. The guitar itself plays really sweet and is biuld very well. I like the over all feel of the guitar.

The pickups aren't active. The DC400 has active tone circuitry attached to passive pickups along with piezo pickups for acoustic type tone. I had no end of trouble and failures with that configuration on mine, but YMMV.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim View Post
Base price on a new DC600 (seems the 400s are no longer) is $799.
So to me $700 is way too much.
For a hunnerd more you can order a basic model with standard passive pickups.
I paid $320 or so for this one back in 1983.
I could prob get $300-$400 for it nowadays so resale is crap, but I'd never sell it its too darn good.
Build quality is up there with anybody.
Still stock, great guitar.
They 400 is still on their website starting at $1149. It's basically a DC127 with a bunch of bells and whistles already on it. Upgraded top, active electronics, etc. The 600 isn't intended to be its replacement.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie99

View Post

I'm a huge Carvin fan but I always buy used. And I may be the only person on the planet that actually likes their pickups, especially the older AP-11 single coils.

thumb.gif on the AP-11 pickups! You have to use 250K pots with them though. The 500k's that come with them from Carvin give them a harsh sound.

• Members

I bought one in the late 80's The fretboard cracked and I lost money when I sold it. Stay away. They are guitars for cheapskates and dreamers.

Do not listen to this guy. If you haven't owned a brand of guitar for almost thirty years then your opinion is not very valid.

All I can tell you is my Bolt + has been played for hours a day for almost three years now, lots of jamming, some gigging, and it has never let me down.

That said, I don't like active electronics in general. Never tried a Carvin with them.

• Members

Looking at their site and seeing the components they sell for their guitars it looks as though they have those integrated circiut boards with the pots soldered to them. So it doesn't look as though it would be like replacing pups on any other guitar, as in buy pups, unsoldered some wires, then solder the new wires,datta da datta da datta. It appears I would have to buy pots, wire and caps and do the whole {censored}tin shebang. It feels pretty nice though and is built very well.

So I guess the Wangcasters are still go strong. Has anyone asked hi if he has an uncut model???:cop:

Archived