What do Explorers sound like?

danswon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
= realtree71 Actually the official cs wasn't in business yet so to speak. I've research this the custom shop did limited runs and did the decal thing. Mine is a korina explorer it has a serial number but I was told it was more of a prototype. I know of only one other and his series number is right after mine. His has the older style tuners

In the pickup pocket mine has "Patsy" hand written
Also what is strange about mine is they only made maple neck/maple body and korina neck/korina body, unless it came from the custom shop and mine is a mahogany body with a maple neck, so between that and the custom shop decal that was there since bought new according to the original owner, I truly believe it is a CS guitar. As it was during that weird time...lol!

your guitar is again very very nice! smile.gif

Here is a pic of mine getting ready for refinish, it will be alpine white when completed with the black Gibson and black custom shop logo's. I am considering the matt jabbs stripes (just as removable decals though).

85exploreredge002.jpg

• Members

They sound like The Edge from U2. Every album. So yeah, run it through $50k of effects and it will sound like the dead carcass of a zebra being devoured by lions, with delay. biggrin.gif

But serious? Just a warm guitar in general - but you can brighten it up with different pickups or make it death metal sounding. In general they have decent sustain, weight balance, ergonomics, and tonal variety.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by danswon View Post
Ah the 'Trick! Possibly my favourite band. I've heard very good things about Hamers and would like to pick a used one up when I eventually make enough money. Are all Hamers good quality or did they do less good budget guitars too?

THIS
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...9QEwAw&dur=276

oh wow I have serious GAS for this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?start...,r:34,s:0,i:46
Yeah, that's a sweet one. Hamer had an import line too, on par with Epiphones. Pretty much any era of the USA ones are great. People get pretty big money for those original 4 digit serial number Standards.

• Members

They sound like awesomeness!

Perfect balance, comfortable to play both sitting and standing- just a bit wide so its easy to bang them into things facepalm.gif

The stock ceramics, 496r/500t are ridiculously hot but very versatile if you dial the vol down. Im of the opinion that body shape/wood/physics do affect the tone so I believe that explorers are bassier than most guitars because of the large amount of mahogany behind the bridge.

Bridge is obviously great for rock to death metal, but surprisingly Ive found the neck to be quite good for blues

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by danswon View Post
Like a Les Paul? An SG?
More like a Les Paul than an SG because they are fairly thick. But they have less top end accentuation to them since they are just a big mahogany slab (i.e. no maple cap). My RD is very similar in tone. And really, a Les Paul Special w Humbuckers is also in the same ballpark.

They're good for deep guttural growly tones. And I mean that "in a good way"

I'm a bit of a SG fan because I like the bit of Fender-ish spank/vibe that the thinner bodies produce compared to the thicker Gibson builds.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
They sound like The Edge from U2. Every album. So yeah, run it through $50k of effects and it will sound like the dead carcass of a zebra being devoured by lions, with delay. biggrin.gif

But serious? Just a warm guitar in general - but you can brighten it up with different pickups or make it death metal sounding. In general they have decent sustain, weight balance, ergonomics, and tonal variety.
Best summation

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie99 View Post
Dean has made some tremendous Zs over the years.

79_Z_body.jpg

HondoandZ022.jpg
Oh yeah I actually love the look of that Dean headstock on the Explorer body too. But I keep hearing people on HC bashing Deans. Seems like some people really hate them. Or are they being sarcastic? I can't even tell. You never see Deans where I live so I've never played one.

• Members

The "sound" of a electric guitar is far more dependent upon the amps and effects (if any) that are being used. This will affect the sound of a guitar far more than wood, body thickness, hardware, even pickups if you use amps, effects, modelers, etc.

But essentially an Explorer, in my experience, sounds like most other Gibson solidbodies. That is, mightier than the hand of an avenging god.

• Members

I bought a Gibson Explorer several years ago because it was a really good deal. I had thought of using it for trade later on. It turns out that I absolutely love the tone. A lot of people rave about them as rhythm guitars, but the way that the guitar can hang when you bring the neck up, it turns out to be a very comfortable guitar to play lead with. Mine turned out to be one of my favorite guitars and is a keeper.

Gibson_Explorer_Faded.JPG

• Members

With active EMG's, a floating trem, ebony board, and who knows what for body wood, it sounds like... uh, a high output shred machine:

011.jpg

Btw - that's not a ZZ, it's a Custom Z with bound set neck - though otherwise it feels a lot like my old ZZ Custom, which feels nothing like a Gibson Explorer - not their traditional stop tail one at least.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

You're making a lot of these posts. All these guitars will do fine, just buy one.

I don't know why you assume I want to buy a guitar. I'm just trying to find people's opinions on gear that I have little/no experience with. You are being an HC nazi. tongue.gif

Archived