My Mittens band had an impromptu video shoot today.

honeyiscool

• Members

We wanted to get some recording done today and since we had the mics set up in the drummer's parents' living room, we thought we'd attempt one of our newer songs.

This is actually the first time I'm ever playing a Vox with the band, I've always played Peaveys and Rolands with Mittens. It was a different experience, to say the least. It will definitely take a little getting used to. I would have taken an AC15 but with the amount of gear I was hauling, it wasn't worth it.

• Members

Sounds good. A couple of my observations -
Have the female guitar player do all the singing, with the bass player doing back-up. Her voice is a little better to my (untrained) ears.
I think the Mustang would look better hanging from her as well (it's a size thing).
IMO both girls need to work on singing with more power and enunciation. I couldn't really understand the words.

Keep going! Sounds good.

• Members

Okay, I liked it.

My one and only criticism, is have the girls sing it like they mean it. They sound too pensive. Their vocal qualities seem good enough, just put a bit more meaning and themselves into it. A bit more emotion, a bit more emphasis for dramatic nuances here and there. Dare to be a bit more vulnerable in their performances. I think they've got it in them. thumb.gif

I liked the composition. But then again, I've long had a bit of a soft spot for "chick music". wink.gif

• Members

Thank you, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Blue View Post
How did you get Susanna Hoffs to sing with your band?
Ha, we got a kick out of that... I have a Susanna Hoffs obsession, as I'm sure most people know.

Quote Originally Posted by richey888 View Post
Nice job!! Great sounding mix, didja use a mixwer in to the camera or what?
Yep. The whole thing was mixed in. Four drum mics, two girl mics, two guitar mics, and DI for the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by 9-Pin-Phoenix View Post
Sounds good. A couple of my observations -
Have the female guitar player do all the singing, with the bass player doing back-up. Her voice is a little better to my (untrained) ears.
I think the Mustang would look better hanging from her as well (it's a size thing).
IMO both girls need to work on singing with more power and enunciation. I couldn't really understand the words.

Keep going! Sounds good.
Thanks! The bass player has a nice cold going on, normally she doesn't sound as strained. They have very different voices, so we like to keep both of them on the mics as much as possible.

Also, Mustang's mine!

Quote Originally Posted by fretmonster View Post
I don't know if it was the Vox or what, but your guitar tone did stand out in the mix...in a good way.cool.gif
The girl's on the Night Train (Sennheiser e906 a few inches away), I'm on the AC4C1 (Audio-Technica Pro 37 a foot away)... it definitely struggled in the room, not in volume but just in sounding a little anemic, but listening back to the mix, it sounds very sweet since I got to run the power section pretty hot. That new G10 Vintage in there sounds pretty damn nice.

Quote Originally Posted by harold heckuba View Post
Your band is really good. Reminds me a little of the band "Belly" from the early
90's.
I love Belly! Tanya is one of my favorites ever. Not just as a singer and songwriter, but also as a guitar player.

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
Okay, I liked it.

My one and only criticism, is have the girls sing it like they mean it. They sound too pensive. Their vocal qualities seem good enough, just put a bit more meaning and themselves into it. A bit more emotion, a bit more emphasis for dramatic nuances here and there. Dare to be a bit more vulnerable in their performances. I think they've got it in them. thumb.gif

I liked the composition. But then again, I've long had a bit of a soft spot for "chick music". wink.gif
I think part of that is we're all a bit shy on our instruments now... I mean, aside from the drummer, we're very green in our respective roles. I think we'll ease into everything over time. The bassist really gets into vocals when she is recording and the guitarist has a pretty serious Courtney Love voice, it's funny, but it's another thing to do all that into stage mics while trying to keep the guitars going.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersully View Post
cool

i think lots of vocal harmonies would take you guys to the next level

your drummer is good
Thanks! We have a lot of songs with girl harmonies, I think we wanted to keep this one relatively free of that stuff, but we might add more in the end.

Yeah, that guy is really good, and he plays well to a click, we found out.

Archived