Never been a better time to buy a Gibson.

billybilly

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Marc G

View Post

I'm really glad I got my Midtown P90 but to be honest was really lusting after the Midtown Custom..... if that goes on sale for a stupid low price I'm going to be in trouble...

The SamAsh here had them for $999 on Black Friday. They sold them all that day though

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by this is paul

View Post

The SamAsh here had them for $999 on Black Friday. They sold them all that day though

Damn.... I got my Midtown P90 for $799 from Sam Ash on the day before Thanksgiving.... I asked and they said they were not getting the standards or customs at that location.... oh well... I'm still reallllly digging the P90s though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly

View Post

I think Gibson had to drop the price on their guitars. There is just too much good competition out there for them to try and compete at prices two, three and more times what the competition were selling similar and better products for. With the internet making comparisons a lot easier these days, Gibson's bubble was due to bust sooner or later. It appears their financial stability is not very good at the moment so they need some cash. It looks like the bubble has burst.

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think its correct.

Gibson isn't competing with the low end import market... Epiphone is. Gibson is selling off the models which did not do well this year. Same thing every store does at the end of the year. I don't know Gibsons financials, but I would guess they are doing OK. Are they closing any plants? Are they not building any new guitars...

• Members

Poor Economy! I've never heard of Gibson dropping prices like this before. The funny thing about these companies is that they operate in the red, but still get loan extensions with the hopes of one day making money. Usually, if they do go out of business the execs or whoever will suck it dry and leave investors without a return. Guitar center and fender are the ones who should be giving stuff away, but they aren't.

• Members

^^ usually "operating in the red" can still generate a decent return as long as the company still cash flows. In other words, GAAP accounting can be misleading if you're looking at the bottom line. Investors kick in and hopefully a lot of that goes to capital expenditures which are then depreciated. If you back out depreciation (which is a huge but often mythical expense) and some amortized costs and it's still in the red, then it's only a matter of time until the doors close. But yeah, cash flow is king. It's like in the health industry where the hospitals say "we're not making money". Yeah, right rolleyes.gif. That's because they're depreciating those cathedrals they build to exult their practice.

• Members

Part of the reason is that they're probably shifting some end-of-line guitars. The new 2013 SG standard is very different to the 2012 model, and looks great.

The other thing is that it looks like Gibson have got decent supplies of rosewood again for fretboards, so will probably be looking to shift the guitars that they built using either baked maple or katalox. I know that given the option side by side I'd be picking rosewood every time.

Also makes their figures for the year look good in terms of units sold and cash flow.

• Members

I can't agree more. I got my first Gibson in November (les Paul Studio for $529) and I just picked up a Les Paul 60's Tribute for $455 and change. Not sure whether its the whole baked maple controversy or the economy, but these deals are ridiculous. Unfortunately, my bank account disagrees facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation

View Post

That's sick. How did you get it that cheap? New?

New? Yes, floor model. And it was the only one at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

Are those LP Jr.s' any good?

Yes.

View Post

$500 sounds like a great deal.

It is.

View Post

Does the Satin White come with an ebony board? Looks very dark.

Supposedly, although possibly black obeche due to their recent wood issues.

View Post

Made in Korea?

No, Nashville, TN, USA.

• Members

A USA made Gibson for $500?

xntQr.jpg

But seriously, how is that obeche? I'm not a purist, but I don't want to be buying something that they're phasing out because it's terrible. Is it actually wood or something synthetic? How is it relative to Rosewood in feel and tone?

Sorry for the noob questions, I don't buy guitar often and when I have in the past it's always been on the more high end side so I'm not too well versed in all these unique woods on the low-mid tier guitars.

• Members

View Post

Made in Korea?

If it's a Gibson it's made in the USA. You'd be seriously hard-pressed to find a better guitar for under $500...that price is cheaper than most vintage Gibsons...even those from a time when the QC isn't what it is now...

• Members

View Post

But seriously, how is that obeche? I'm not a purist, but I don't want to be buying something that they're phasing out because it's terrible. Is it actually wood or something synthetic? How is it relative to Rosewood in feel and tone?

Well, sounds like I'm going to pass.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/obeche.htm

Extensively used where durability and strength are unimportant, such as drawer slides, interior rails, cabinet framing, model making, etc. Rotary cut into constructional veneer for plywood core stock purposes and as a backing veneer. Some logs sliced for decorative veneer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dres_x

View Post

How's the QC lately? I've never been into Gibsons much after hearing about all the horror stories...but that pelham blue lp looks really amazing

I've read some reviews on retail sites suggesting QC is hit-or-miss...I've bought 6 Gibsons over the past year(2 of them were used, with 2007 being the oldest) and I have had no problems at all or found any finishing flaws, etc. The "professional" reviews(guitar magazines/websites) that I've read support this.

I'd say, if it's in your price range, give it a shot...if you buy in-store, you can check it out before hand, if you buy online, you can always return it if something's wrong, and if nothing's wrong but you decide it ain't for you, it should hold its value when/if you decide to sell it...

• Members

View Post

How's the QC lately? I've never been into Gibsons much after hearing about all the horror stories...but that pelham blue lp looks really amazing

It depends on how picky you are. Little flaws slip through, and the fretwork could still be better. But it

• Members

I think everyone seems to say "they've heard about bad QC at Gibson" but whenever anyone ever buys one, all I hear is how great the QC on this one seems to be. As if they got lucky and got the only good one. I think it's very likely that the QC at Gibson is quite good these days, with certain models once in a while being a little less than stellar perhaps, which almost always get's overblown, but by and large, when you buy a Gibson you're getting a good instrument.

• Members

View Post

I see...I'll try to check some out at a local store...but they never have the sales going on online and they never price match :/ kinda sucks...

Did any V's go on sale? None listed on the MF site

Sam Ash had some Vs for $799. A friend of mine ended up with a music123 price match he decided not to use for $707, so I ended up with a Cherry V.

I wouldn't worry too much about the QC stories. I've purchased 6 Gibsons (Trad Pro, Trad, Trad Plus, Deluxe, Standard, and V) during the blowouts and they've all be flawless.

Archived