WTF is up with Schecter?

jpnyc

• Members

Why is Schecter the weird bastard child of good guitar companies? They make great stuff at prices that run from cheap to reasonable. Sure they make a lot of guitars in tasteless color schemes, but so do ESP and PRS. It seems like most of the Schecter lineup never turns up in a store. But this company is owned by the same guy who owns ESP. Is Schecter just a way for Hisatake Shibuya to screw around in weird market niches that his other businesses don

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by AVisme

View Post

I think it's the ugly inlays, binding, and things such as that on some models that reflect poorly on the whole brand.

I think their marketing failings are the result, quite ironically, of their marketing success. They have marketed their guitars so expertly to a particular music niche that they now have problems marketing perfectly fine guitars to players outside of that niche.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Blue View Post
I think their marketing failings are the result, quite ironically, of their marketing success. They have marketed their guitars so expertly to a particular music niche that they now have problems marketing perfectly fine guitars to players outside of that niche.
I don't know. What kind of metal player wants to be seen with this god-awful monstrosity?

2150067170_4e91ae66cc_z.jpg

• Members

I bought a used Schecter C-1 Classic for somewhere under $400 and cleaned it up and liked it enough to where when the C-1 Classics went on a blow-out sale, I picked up a second one. redface.gif

Well, I must have been at the peak of my GAS craze to do that, but instead of a SD '59 the second one had a SD Jazz in the neck and was trans blue instead of antique amber (also the wiring for split coil options was a hair different - but both have JBs in the bridge). (Turned out, however, that with neck-thru construction, I ended up liking the first one with the '59 better)

Point of my post is, AMS was blowing them out for $499.98 and it took quite a while for them to sell out at that price. I recall I even promoted the sale here, but there seemed to be little interest. But I thought that with great looking finishes (the FB vine inlay was a bit too much for some - that I understand), neck through construction, quality hardware and Seymour Duncan USA p'ups, why weren't they moving confused.gif

Of course, 5 bills doesn't sound uber-fantastic now (cost of guitars is now perceived lower with all the recent MIA guitar blow-out deals) but at the time it sure did. I can't exactly remember the MAP for sure, but IIRC, they were somewhere around $850 or so - back in there day.

My only complaint was that they aren't quite as resonant as my Gibsons, but that's not a fair comparison since none of my Gibsons are neck through. But they have very good finish work, action, sustain, versatility, and are very durable and have a wide range of very good tones; however, it did seem like demand for the Schecter brand was very soft.
idn_smilie.gif

My first one is same as dis

• Members

I had a C1+ that I really liked, especially after swapping the pups for 57/57+. If it hadn't been for the jumbo frets and bit-too-skinny neck I'd still have it for sure, everything else was great.

Some of their entry level offerings are pretty shoddy, but more than that I think it's just hard for them to shake the metal image they've cultivated. That association is so strong that it carries over to guitars that are totally non-metal (as stereotyped anyway). So the non-metal guitars don't appeal to the metal crowd, and they don't appeal to the non-metal crowd. And I'd argue that at least half of their line-up is non-metal guitars! Again, only talking stereotypes here, but I think that's what's at play.

• Members

I had one with the duncan passives, it was a great, great guitar. If it had a longer scale, I never would of sold it. The guy I sold it to left laughing, should have charged him more.

Quote Originally Posted by backtoblue View Post
I've always dug the Solo 6 Customs. I only ever see the active pickup versions in GC though.
solocustdvs%20-c7e3e14cda96b008f288638ce

• Members

I've owned a couple of the mid-level Schecters(MIK)...I don't think I can be 100% honest in this love-fest thread without coming off as a troll, so I'll just say...

I'm not crazy about the inlays and binding, IMO the Duncan-designed pups are seriously lacking and while Schecters look sweet, I find them to be generally uninspiring...so I guess I like the idea of Schecter better than the actual guitars they're producing.

On the other hand, I'd probably give a Corsair a shot...

• Members

Honestly, you wanna know what's wrong with Schecter?

When someone asks "Who plays a Fender?" You answer, Clapton, Hendrix... if you're younger, maybe people like Mayer and bands like Radiohead.

When someone asks "Who plays a Gibson?" You know, Jimmy Page, Angus Young, etc.

I'm not trolling. When I think of people associated with Schecter, I think Robert Smith has a model with them? And that's it... the only other artist I can think of is:

That's no way to build a reputation.

Archived