WTF is up with Schecter?

jpnyc

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I went looking for a new electric guitar after 10 yrs of not playing one I really wasn't too sure what I wanted.
I remember seriously considering something like this, seemed very well made for the money.
I just never got past the aesthetics I guess. I'm shallow that way.
schecter_C1_BJ_BLK.jpg
I've never seen a Corsair in person. Looks pretty darn sweet.

• Members

This is the Schecter I have always GAS'd for.

DV016_Jpg_Large_423320.001_black_R.jpg

On the specs sheet, it is about as perfect as I would ever want. Gibson scale, ebony board, Duncan Custom w/ '59, coil splits, TonePros hardware, locking tuners, I wish it were bolt but I'll take a set neck... I mean, the specs are perfect.

I just wish it looked less mallcore. It's the kind of guitar that I would love playing, but I would want to take a brush to and want to redo it every time I looked at it. And I like to have guitars that I love looking at.

• Members

See that 006 Elite in Darkmetals pics above? In about 2005, I bought two used guitars in GC on the same day.

One was a Gibson Les Paul Studio with the block inlays, and the other was an 006 Elite like the above.

Got them home, tested them out, the 006 blew the Studio off the map. I paid over 4 times as much for
the Gibson than I did for the 006. Schecters MIK offerings cannot be beat.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
This is the Schecter I have always GAS'd for.

DV016_Jpg_Large_423320.001_black_R.jpg

On the specs sheet, it is about as perfect as I would ever want. Gibson scale, ebony board, Duncan Custom w/ '59, coil splits, TonePros hardware, locking tuners, I wish it were bolt but I'll take a set neck... I mean, the specs are perfect.

I just wish it looked less mallcore. It's the kind of guitar that I would love playing, but I would want to take a brush to and want to redo it every time I looked at it. And I like to have guitars that I love looking at.
What's mallcore about it.
It's basically A Black Beauty.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
Well, I think ESP is a great company and all, but let's not pretend that ESP has a wider appeal than Schecter. I'm not a metal guy, and ESP's lineup has way less appealing products than Schecter for someone like me. The only thing I like are their pointy LP thingies in white.
Uh, I dunno, I could see you rockin my ESP Xtone Paramount PC1-V
Xtone001.jpg

My other ESPs are fairly basic

I recently bought a Gibson LP Junior Special HB but I actually paused my GAS for a second to consider that I already had this one -EC-400 - stock with SD Jazz & Custom V - which basically is a LP Special HB (import clone)
69ThinlineESPEC-400001.jpg

My first ESP (below right) "The Eclipse" was/is suppose(d) to be the cat's meow, but frankly it doesn't wow me because it's voiced more metal than what I play.
I was attracted to that guitar (found it used) from a "Guitar Shop" Oct 1995 article entitled "Buy a Top-Of-The-Line Solid Body - 9 Beauties Put To The Test" where they referred to them as "Posh Planks" But anyway, this git had an MSRP of $1695 (not sure what MAP would have been - maybe 70% idn_smilie.gif) But anyway, the article said it was for the serious guitar player - of fusion and rock and jazz. Well, maybe so, but I think metal players are more likely to be the buyer for a guitar like this equipped with a Floyd and dual 81s. (and yes, I still have that article redface.gif)

PurpleAxes.jpg

But overall, I've gotten the most bang for the buck out of the Schecter C-1 Classics. I think as long as you're getting a good price and they are pre-loaded with good pickups (as many of them are) then Schecters can be good examples of good "bang for the buck" Korean made guitar.

However, the Xtone would be the last of the ones above for me to part with. With a Jazz and JB and a chambered semi-hollow build, it's got oodles of vibe.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

I was attracted to that guitar (found it used) from a "Guitar Shop" Oct 1995 article entitled "Buy a Top-Of-The-Line Solid Body - 9 Beauties Put To The Test" where they referred to them as "Posh Planks" But anyway, this git had an MSRP of $1695 (not sure what MAP would have been - maybe 70% idn_smilie.gif) But anyway, the article said it was for the serious guitar player - of fusion and rock and jazz. Well, maybe so, but I think metal players are more likely to be the buyer for a guitar like this equipped with a Floyd and dual 81s. (and yes, I still have that article redface.gif)

I remember that article and think I still have that magazine in storage at my parent's house. That article was the first time I remember seeing a relic'd guitar. About your ESP: I remember the article saying it was 25.5" scale, but most of the Eclipses are 24.75". I always wondered if that was a typo in the article. What scale is yours?

Archived