Best Guitar Cable out there? In your opinion!

tmd187

• Members
Klotz is my cable of choice.

IY106 for patch cables since it has a tighter bending radius, even though some companies use La-Grange GY107. This is great cable but for very short cables it is perhaps a little bit stiff. You might find your effects moving around slightly unpredictably. Cable really shouldn't be coiled tightly. It breaks the copper and the insulation down, so the cable capacitance rises and the sound can get progressively duller. A 6"cable is not going to colour sound a great deal.

For longer runs, very low colouration and really good anti-static and RFI performance GY107 La-grange, every time.

Also, beware some linen covered cables. The linen can twist the cable within over time. Anyone with an old kettle or toaster can show you what I mean by this.

Neutrik NP2XB and NP2RXB gold connectors are very sturdy and well made connectors. I use them exclusively. If you would like even better functionality from your cables Neutrik NP2C-AU-Silent, NP2X-AU-Silent and NP2RX-AU-Silent contain a magnetically actuated reed-switch which mutes the plug on removal.

The NP2RX-AU-Silent is also suitable for most Fender Telecaster guitars because it has a slightly longer collar than most other angled jack plugs.

Plenty more information here:

http://www.handmadecableco.com

*I*

I have to ammend this to bring things up to date.

KLOTZ La-Grange GY107 cable is to be discontinued.

This is not a great problem because it is being replaced with an IDENTICAL cable in all but name. The specifications are EXACTLY the same. Shame they are losing the nice name though :)

The new cable is called Klotz AC110

klotz_ac110.jpg
klotz_gy107.jpg

*I*

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

Klotz titanium carries lifetime guarantee http://www.klotz-ais.com/cgi-bin/quickorder/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&artnum=TITANIUM&wkid=2004g&ls=e. It's Klotz best guitar cable and reasonably priced / widely available with Neutrik silent plugs. Exceptional clarity and tone.

MIT Ripcord guitar cables also offer lifetime guarantee (no longer produced but may still be available). Designed with 2 passive filter networks, one at each end, that maintain tone and sonics and actually work. Reviewed in Sound on Sound magazine http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep98/articles/b_encounters.html

and online http://www.ink19.com/issues_F/98_07/wet_ink/gear/159_ripcord_nf.html

I use both and both are exceptional. I purchased a few of the remaining MIT cables inc patch when they were discounted end of line via the UK distributor for studio use. Klotz La Grange is excellent as well and cheaper.

• Members

Can you guys really tell the difference between the sound in cables? Then what about patch cables?

It's a little like nitro finishes. The .03% improvement in tone probably isn't worth sanding the poly finish off your Strat for. But if you have to refinish it anyway, might as well go for the nitro.

Theoretically, patch cable runs are so short that the quality shouldn't matter. But on a guitar rig those cables are typically on the end of another 15-20' feet of cord going to your guitar, so yes, they probably do matter.

• Members

I usually use a cheapy Fender tweed cable from guitar to pedal, a Proco from pedal to amp and a George L jumper from channel to channel.

I have Proco-looking cable with a Music-Go-Round logo on the heat shrink that was from before Music-Go-Round had a website and it's still going solid.

But if I was going to spend the money, I'd probably get a Lava. Mogami or a George L would be right there as well. I think the next cable I buy with be a Bullet Cable white coily cable.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

MOGAMI ARE THE BEST I HAVE EVER USED, AND I HAVE TRIED HUNDREDS,

Who Are MOGAMI ?

There's a reason why Mogami is called "The Cable of the Pros." Virtually every major recording facility is wired with Mogami, which means that just about any music you listen to has passed through Mogami somewhere in the recording chain

• Members

they wouldn't mate, their cables speak for them self's, they don't need to spam, and seen as I am a member of this forum and have posted on other topics it seems it would have to be a pretty good spam bot to be able to do that, but he ob-visually did not bother checking my other posts before he opened his yappa, I would hate to think that guy was in charge of a country, god if he had brains he would be dangerous,

• Members

they don't need to spam, and seen as I am a member of this forum and have posted on other topics it seems it would have to be a pretty good spam bot to be able to do that, but he ob-visually did not bother checking my other posts before he opened his yappa,

You have a total of three posts - all of them in this thread - and a join date within the last week or so.

Spam. Maybe manual spam, but spam to be sure.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I've used Atomic 29 cables for the past year and a half and I rate them because there hand made and sound excellent though my 6L6 tube amp although theyre definately not gold tipped as I asked them for some plugs with gold ends and they told me that for guiytar cables its actually a bad idea using gold as its far from being the best conductor and said they only do copper tipped cables.

You should check them out as they seem to know what time it is.

I just checked again and theyre a UK based company www.atomic29.co.uk

• Moderators

csm wrote:

Am I the only Whirlwind Leader user???

I'd'a joined you if I coulda FOUND one'a the bastards ...

Went into the West End of London specifically to buy one of those woven-cloth-wound Leaders ... no-one had one. Ended up with a rubbery Planet Waves cable instead ...

Ya don't ha ta step out yaw front daw ma man

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=whirlwind+leader&_sacat=0&_from=R40

• Members

Exdeath wrote:

I love Bullet Cables, mostly because they make a coiled cable that works great and doesn't suck highs, and their prices are very reasonable. The shell casing jackets look awesome, too.

I too am a big fan of the Bullet Coily cables and I also like their solderless patch cable kits.  

The Bullet coily cables and Armor Gold are what I use 99% of the time.  I do have a Planet Waves american stage cable that I keep in my gig bag because it's much less bulky and also sounds great (not to mention they are pretty inexpensive).

Archived