Best Guitar Cable out there? In your opinion!

tmd187

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Can you guys really tell the difference between the sound in cables? Then what about patch cables?

I've never really done a side by side comparison on cable brands. I decided to try Mogami a couple years ago and did notice that there was less extraneous noise while using them so I stick with Mogami.

I've never heard a darker tone or lighter tone or any difference in the tone of the guitar due to the cable, just less noise.

• Members

I have heard the differences between cables.......but I don't think it's a tone improvement.

I compared a few cables I had made myself with neutrik connectors and generic mogami bulk cable with the regular Fender cables.

Not only could I hear a slight difference, but my non-musician g/f could hear a difference as well.

What we both heard wasn't a huge tone change, but more of subtle differences. Like the Fender was a little duller, but had a rounder low end....while my cables were clearer, and more balanced overall.

In the end, just give me a {censored}ing cable and let's PLAY!

• Members

I can't definitely hear the difference in cables from the different ones that I've tried.

My live rig is currently all canare cables (including all my patch cables) that I bought from Lava Cable. I really like this, they've been totally reliable and soung great. I really notice a much smoother and apparent top end than with other cables.

At home I'm using the same 14' spectraflex that I've had since middle school. It's been completely reliable, looks cool, and I think sounds fine. Not as good on the highs as the Canare.

I've had some of the Planet Waves cables, and while I enjoyed the tone from them, both started to crackle a bit when moved. I could probably get them warranty replaced, but I'm more inclined to have cables that never have problems.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Aloha,
I was curious as to why people include a list of all kinds of equipment after their post. Is it a wish list or some kind of secret code that a select few might be privy to? I've seen names of guitars, amps, etc. I'm guessing that it's not mandatory because not everyone does it. Thanks in advance for your response.
Mahalo.........Luamano

• Members

Aloha,

I was curious as to why people include a list of all kinds of equipment after their post. Is it a wish list or some kind of secret code that a select few might be privy to? I've seen names of guitars, amps, etc. I'm guessing that it's not mandatory because not everyone does it. Thanks in advance for your response.

Mahalo.........Luamano

It's stuff they own.

• Members

Aloha walfordr,
Hey thanks for the info. Do they get credit for this and how do we know they're being honest? Anyway, here are some of my stuff and I say some because next time I'll hopefully get all of them in.
Original JMI tube "Vox Buckingham" or "Super Twin" (most were SS Thomas organ), Vox AC30 (basically same as the Buckingham only newer with blue cels), Vox Berkeley (trash), Fender Princeton, Fender DRRI, Fender Vibroverb w/ Kustom K-130 JBL, Mesa D-Rect, these are some of the small stuff. (Amps)
Guitars, '79 Les Paul Custom, '80 Gibson Les Paul Artisan, '58 Ft-79 Texan, '88 Martin D-18P, '80 Guild D-35s. Yeah yeah, I know. Norlin era Gibsons but that's when I bought them. They're great instruments as far I'm concerned. Sorry to you Fender lovers but I had my share of Strats and one Tele. They just didn't have enough juice for me.
Tons of pedals but always go back to just guitar, compressor, booster and 5 to 22 watt tube amps. Modeling amps have too many limitations, no continuity and the ugliest square waves.

Large stuff next time.........Lu

• Members
You get internet credit for claiming on the internet that your internet name owns things which may or may not exist.

Doesn't matter whether anyone else believes you or not - the only question is whether you believe it

Correct! :thu: Internet Credits are measured in STFUs... Each $1,000 (US) of equipment listed entitles you to 1 obtain and then use one STFU (pronounced Stew-fu) per day. At least this is the standard conversion factor I've seen. :D

• Members

Aloha,
I kinda figured someone would get confused. No biggie. Where do I redeem my credits. (Common nows guys, is it wrong to assume everyone has a sense of humor?) Just because you never heard of it does not mean it doesn't exist. Anyone remember those blank vinyl (33 1/3 rpm) sleeves with the small hole in the corner? Most never made it to the stores. The same happened with many many guitar amplifiers and stomps. Most recently (that would be known) the "Vox Saturator". By the way, does anyone have a "Vox Tone Bender" from the late 60s early 70s? for sale and how much if you're willing to part with it? Thanks........Lu

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The best in my opinion are monster w/gold tips. pERFORMER 500 IS PRETTY GOOD FOR 40.00, MOGAMI GOLD IS EXCELLENT. If you care about your sound,
spend the money. For years I used Dimarzio,Fender and CBI as well as PROCo. Proco is good and they are all just...ok. If you really want an audible difference use the more expensive oxygen free cables. Gold is essential because it does not corrode and is the strongest conductor. I am an engineer by trade. Would love the Mogami premier/elite, just can't afford over 100.00 on a cable. If you spent alot of money on your gear, spend a little more for great cable. YOU WILL NOTICE IT. Appreciate your talent and skill enough to get the best tonality out of it. If you make money playing- its worth it. If you value your playing its worth it. Like I said...you will notice the difference. Treat your cables well. Roll them properly when your done and don't let band members stomp all over them. They can last 20 years. By the way, "LIFETIME WARRANTY". More than enough reason to spend over 30.00 on a good cable.- Brandie

• Members
Aloha,

I kinda figured someone would get confused. No biggie. Where do I redeem my credits. (Common nows guys, is it wrong to assume everyone has a sense of humor?) Just because you never heard of it does not mean it doesn't exist. Anyone remember those blank vinyl (33 1/3 rpm) sleeves with the small hole in the corner? Most never made it to the stores. The same happened with many many guitar amplifiers and stomps. Most recently (that would be known) the "Vox Saturator". By the way, does anyone have a "Vox Tone Bender" from the late 60s early 70s? for sale and how much if you're willing to part with it? Thanks........Lu

ALOHA MI AMIGO!

I keep the gear list in my signature in the event that someone has a question or inquiry about a piece of gear I own, that they are looking at purchasing in the future, or just curious about. In my many years, so far, no one ever has asked about my gear :(

However, someday, they will!

ALOHA!!!

Archived