Amp stand?

vcnyls

• Members

Ok, I decided I'm going to build my own out of some wood hats sitting in the loading dock of my apt building (building is an old factory turned into lofts so the loading dock is still there and people toss their crap in there). Working on a design now. Will post pics when I build.

Thanks to all or the input - I'm going to use one of these ideas in the design.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

I'm pretty happy with my AmpEndage stand. At $69.95 or $99.95 they aren't the cheapest option out there but they look a lot nicer than those cheap little metal stands you get for $25-30.

wooden_stands_266x2661.jpg

Those look pretty nice ^

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

DEFINITELY more than you want to spend(like, $195, incl. shipping), but one of these would be fun...

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoas...ring/rigid.htm

ac15-std.jpg

Looks like this

FoldingWalker.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

I'm pretty happy with my AmpEndage stand. At $69.95 or $99.95 they aren't the cheapest option out there but they look a lot nicer than those cheap little metal stands you get for $25-30.

wooden_stands_266x2661.jpg

Those look pretty nice ^

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

DEFINITELY more than you want to spend(like, $195, incl. shipping), but one of these would be fun...

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoas...ring/rigid.htm

ac15-std.jpg

Looks like this

FoldingWalker.jpg

• Members

concentrate on the audio solutions since the problem will be low frequencies transmission through the floor.

they are a real bastard to control and decoupling the amp from the floor is the only way to go.

A complaining neighbour is going to be sensitive now whatever you do. When I did this for a living, the nightmares were always peope who had become sensitive over a period of time before the complaint was addressed so get it done quick and minimise playing until you do.

• Members

concentrate on the audio solutions since the problem will be low frequencies transmission through the floor.

they are a real bastard to control and decoupling the amp from the floor is the only way to go.

A complaining neighbour is going to be sensitive now whatever you do. When I did this for a living, the nightmares were always peope who had become sensitive over a period of time before the complaint was addressed so get it done quick and minimise playing until you do.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vcnyls

View Post

That's a nice option. Thanks!

That Vox stand is absurdly priced! $195 for that metal stand? I wish I had access to a metal shop - I could make that thing in an hour.

Anything else? I think the ampendage stand is nice but I also may work on a design of my own.

I totally agree...it's for the Vox purist who has everything, I suppose-including money to burn biggrin.gif

• Members

View Post

That's a nice option. Thanks!

That Vox stand is absurdly priced! $195 for that metal stand? I wish I had access to a metal shop - I could make that thing in an hour.

Anything else? I think the ampendage stand is nice but I also may work on a design of my own.

I totally agree...it's for the Vox purist who has everything, I suppose-including money to burn biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

On a different aspect of this topic, I generally don't like to elevate amps since I usually hear a large drop in the perceived amount of bass. I do think that may depend upon the amp. Example I have a Roland Cube 20XL that sounded more bassy to me when I plopped it on my desktop, but everything else sounds better on the floor. Now I know the point here in this thread is to help out with the neighbors, but I'm wondering what sonic advantages (other than as a stage monitor) some of you folks perceive by using stands. I mean, I gave a better one (than the one I mention above) away for a pack of strings because I didn't like the sonic affect.

idn_smilie.gif

For most bedroom players there isn't much of an advantage, unless you're trying to cut down on vibrations like the OP. The real advantage of an amp stand is that it points the speaker at your ear, so that you actually hear what's coming out of your amp. Guitar amps, by nature, are very directional. So, unless you're sitting across the room from your amp, you're not likely hearing the direct sound coming from the speaker. This means that you're turning it up louder than you need to, and you probably have more high end dialed in than you actually need. This mostly effects you in live situations, where others may be in the path of your too-loud ice-pick-spewing tone of death, and you may even have it mic'ed up through the PA. It also cuts down or eliminated reflections from the floor, if it's on a reflective surface, which will drastically change your tone as you hear it.

You will lose some low end. For a bedroom player this may be perceived as a problem. For somebody who plays live, it's not a big deal at all. That's what the bass player is there for. Also, low end in a guitar is more commonly referred to as "mud" when it's mixed together with all the instruments. With the amp on the floor (stage), it's exciting the resonant frequencies. These frequencies are also being excited by the drums, the bass, people jumping around, etc. The frequencies are then usually transferred through every mic on stage, creating - more mud. These are the frequencies that the sound guy will first reach for and cut out of the PA.

View Post

Ok, I decided I'm going to build my own out of some wood hats sitting in the loading dock of my apt building (building is an old factory turned into lofts so the loading dock is still there and people toss their crap in there). Working on a design now. Will post pics when I build.

Wood hats? If you mean wire spools, it might not get the desired effect you're looking for. Both those and the fancy wooden stands that somebody posted, probably would make pretty bad stands for isolation, as they are large surfaces that will resonate from the amp's sound, and transmit more vibrations through the floor.

I would stick with one of the ultimate/on stage/hercules stands and put them on carpet and foam to eliminate as many vibrations as possible.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

On a different aspect of this topic, I generally don't like to elevate amps since I usually hear a large drop in the perceived amount of bass. I do think that may depend upon the amp. Example I have a Roland Cube 20XL that sounded more bassy to me when I plopped it on my desktop, but everything else sounds better on the floor. Now I know the point here in this thread is to help out with the neighbors, but I'm wondering what sonic advantages (other than as a stage monitor) some of you folks perceive by using stands. I mean, I gave a better one (than the one I mention above) away for a pack of strings because I didn't like the sonic affect.

idn_smilie.gif

For most bedroom players there isn't much of an advantage, unless you're trying to cut down on vibrations like the OP. The real advantage of an amp stand is that it points the speaker at your ear, so that you actually hear what's coming out of your amp. Guitar amps, by nature, are very directional. So, unless you're sitting across the room from your amp, you're not likely hearing the direct sound coming from the speaker. This means that you're turning it up louder than you need to, and you probably have more high end dialed in than you actually need. This mostly effects you in live situations, where others may be in the path of your too-loud ice-pick-spewing tone of death, and you may even have it mic'ed up through the PA. It also cuts down or eliminated reflections from the floor, if it's on a reflective surface, which will drastically change your tone as you hear it.

You will lose some low end. For a bedroom player this may be perceived as a problem. For somebody who plays live, it's not a big deal at all. That's what the bass player is there for. Also, low end in a guitar is more commonly referred to as "mud" when it's mixed together with all the instruments. With the amp on the floor (stage), it's exciting the resonant frequencies. These frequencies are also being excited by the drums, the bass, people jumping around, etc. The frequencies are then usually transferred through every mic on stage, creating - more mud. These are the frequencies that the sound guy will first reach for and cut out of the PA.

View Post

Wood hats? If you mean wire spools, it might not get the desired effect you're looking for. Both those and the fancy wooden stands that somebody posted, probably would make pretty bad stands for isolation, as they are large surfaces that will resonate from the amp's sound, and transmit more vibrations through the floor.

I would stick with one of the ultimate/on stage/hercules stands and put them on carpet and foam to eliminate as many vibrations as possible.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Special J

View Post

Ha, that must have been an iPad auto-correct - I'm not sure the exact work I intended but I there is some leftover lumber in the loading dock that I'm thinking of using. My bad.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Special J

View Post

Ha, that must have been an iPad auto-correct - I'm not sure the exact work I intended but I there is some leftover lumber in the loading dock that I'm thinking of using. My bad.

• Members

Used a milk crate until I decided that:

A) I wanted the amp higher so I could diddle it without bending over.

B) There was valuable floor real estate under the crate.

So I invested $20 in one of the waist high jobs from MF.

• Members

My admittedly not very elegant solution have always been to lift the amp up on a chair when I play. Nice decoupling from the floor and the last appartment was small enough that I prefered not to have an amp stand take up room as well

• Members

I have my Ampeg Jet on a guitar stand like this. Actually the stand has a neck support too, but I took it off so it looks like this one. I recall reading reviews when I was shopping that it worked great as an amp stand. Sorry I don't have a pic, but believe me it works. If you are serious about a cheap and clean solution like this I will snap a pic and upload it tonight when I am at home.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...c-guitar-stand

DV016_Jpg_Large_580387.001_black_R.jpg

Archived