Amp stand?

vcnyls

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vcnyls View Post
That's a nice option. Thanks!

That Vox stand is absurdly priced! $195 for that metal stand? I wish I had access to a metal shop - I could make that thing in an hour.

Anything else? I think the ampendage stand is nice but I also may work on a design of my own.
Agreed. That's a ridiculous price on the Vox metal stand. Especially since it looks like my grandma's walker. Ah, what some folks will spend to be a hipster.

If you really want to take the cheap route, you could liberate a couple of milk crates.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by vcnyls View Post
That's a nice option. Thanks!

That Vox stand is absurdly priced! $195 for that metal stand? I wish I had access to a metal shop - I could make that thing in an hour.

Anything else? I think the ampendage stand is nice but I also may work on a design of my own.
Agreed. That's a ridiculous price on the Vox metal stand. Especially since it looks like my grandma's walker. Ah, what some folks will spend to be a hipster.

If you really want to take the cheap route, you could liberate a couple of milk crates.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post

Just don't buy this piece of shite http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...back-amp-stand it opens up to greater than a 90 degree angle so you have to add cushions to get a good secure fit.
DV018_Jpg_Tiny_450727_R.jpgDV018_Jpg_Tiny_450727_with_amp_R.jpg

I have that very same stand and mine doesn't require anything added to get the right angle. Methinks you got a dawg.

At any rate, that kind of stand still has the amp pretty close to the floor. I think in an apartment sitch you'd want one of the ones that gets the amp totally up off the floor, like these beater ones a friend gave me, which we use for my church band:

260460_10151122762793879_945262659_a.jpg

• Members

Just don't buy this piece of shite http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...back-amp-stand it opens up to greater than a 90 degree angle so you have to add cushions to get a good secure fit.

I have that very same stand and mine doesn't require anything added to get the right angle. Methinks you got a dawg.

At any rate, that kind of stand still has the amp pretty close to the floor. I think in an apartment sitch you'd want one of the ones that gets the amp totally up off the floor, like these beater ones a friend gave me, which we use for my church band:

260460_10151122762793879_945262659_a.jpg

• Members

I know this probably isn't practical in an apt (so why am i even mentioning it? lol) but I have a hanging shelf in the garage. You might could use a macrame type hangy thingy. Or some rope and a piece of scrap wook hung from an eye-hook.
Or you could learn to govern the laws of gravity and make it levitate.

or not.

• Members

I know this probably isn't practical in an apt (so why am i even mentioning it? lol) but I have a hanging shelf in the garage. You might could use a macrame type hangy thingy. Or some rope and a piece of scrap wook hung from an eye-hook.
Or you could learn to govern the laws of gravity and make it levitate.

or not.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post

I've wondered about that. I've seen another review on the MF site that has the exact same complaint as I do, but not all of the reviews mention this problem.

On a different aspect of this topic, I generally don't like to elevate amps since I usually hear a large drop in the perceived amount of bass. I do think that may depend upon the amp. Example I have a Roland Cube 20XL that sounded more bassy to me when I plopped it on my desktop, but everything else sounds better on the floor. Now I know the point here in this thread is to help out with the neighbors, but I'm wondering what sonic advantages (other than as a stage monitor) some of you folks perceive by using stands. I mean, I gave a better one (than the one I mention above) away for a pack of strings because I didn't like the sonic affect.

idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post

I've wondered about that. I've seen another review on the MF site that has the exact same complaint as I do, but not all of the reviews mention this problem.

On a different aspect of this topic, I generally don't like to elevate amps since I usually hear a large drop in the perceived amount of bass. I do think that may depend upon the amp. Example I have a Roland Cube 20XL that sounded more bassy to me when I plopped it on my desktop, but everything else sounds better on the floor. Now I know the point here in this thread is to help out with the neighbors, but I'm wondering what sonic advantages (other than as a stage monitor) some of you folks perceive by using stands. I mean, I gave a better one (than the one I mention above) away for a pack of strings because I didn't like the sonic affect.

idn_smilie.gif

• Members
One thing you can consider is to get yourself some chrome wire shelving parts so you can put together a stand with dimensions that fit your own needs. That way you can decide how high off the floor you want it and also create some storage space above and/or below it.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/wire-shelving
That's sort of the way I went using this microwave stand from Target:

10430240.jpg

I cut the vertical posts to the height I wanted, fits my smallish bass amp perfectly and the hooks work great for storing coiled up cables. And it's a space saver since it has a table top.

• Members
One thing you can consider is to get yourself some chrome wire shelving parts so you can put together a stand with dimensions that fit your own needs. That way you can decide how high off the floor you want it and also create some storage space above and/or below it.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/wire-shelving
That's sort of the way I went using this microwave stand from Target:

10430240.jpg

I cut the vertical posts to the height I wanted, fits my smallish bass amp perfectly and the hooks work great for storing coiled up cables. And it's a space saver since it has a table top.

• Members

Ok, I decided I'm going to build my own out of some wood hats sitting in the loading dock of my apt building (building is an old factory turned into lofts so the loading dock is still there and people toss their crap in there). Working on a design now. Will post pics when I build.

Thanks to all or the input - I'm going to use one of these ideas in the design.

Archived