Amp stand?

vcnyls

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have one of those On-Stage RS7000s, one of those Musicians Gear Deluxe Amp stands, and I also have the North Coast chrome stand for AC15.

Here are the pros and cons of each:

Musicians Gear:
* Arms are closer together, which means that 1x12" amps are generally a great fit. I've never had it not work for an amp, and all my amps are 1x12 or smaller.
* Does work decently for the Vox AC15.
* The stock angle is very poor for top-heavy amps. Can be improved by removing the arms and inserting them backwards so that the long arms are on the bottom and short ones in the back.
* While quite stable in that configuration, looks quite funky with the arms always sticking out the front.
* Arms do not fold, not very portable as a result.

On-Stage
* Wider arm spacing, much superior for larger and wider amps.
* However, bad for AC15C1 and other AC15s because the arms sit right where the power cord would be. Also bad for some narrow combos where the feet are too close together.
* The arm angle is pretty great out of the box.
* Arms fold down for added portability.

North Coast
* Perfect
* Light and looks great
* Makes the amp easy to move around in carpet since the stand acts like metal rollers on carpet (in a good way).
* Only con is price, but if any other cheaper option was actually better, I'd recommend it.

• Members

I have one of those On-Stage RS7000s, one of those Musicians Gear Deluxe Amp stands, and I also have the North Coast chrome stand for AC15.

Here are the pros and cons of each:

Musicians Gear:
* Arms are closer together, which means that 1x12" amps are generally a great fit. I've never had it not work for an amp, and all my amps are 1x12 or smaller.
* Does work decently for the Vox AC15.
* The stock angle is very poor for top-heavy amps. Can be improved by removing the arms and inserting them backwards so that the long arms are on the bottom and short ones in the back.
* While quite stable in that configuration, looks quite funky with the arms always sticking out the front.
* Arms do not fold, not very portable as a result.

On-Stage
* Wider arm spacing, much superior for larger and wider amps.
* However, bad for AC15C1 and other AC15s because the arms sit right where the power cord would be. Also bad for some narrow combos where the feet are too close together.
* The arm angle is pretty great out of the box.
* Arms fold down for added portability.

North Coast
* Perfect
* Light and looks great
* Makes the amp easy to move around in carpet since the stand acts like metal rollers on carpet (in a good way).
* Only con is price, but if any other cheaper option was actually better, I'd recommend it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder View Post
I have my Ampeg Jet on a guitar stand like this. Actually the stand has a neck support too, but I took it off so it looks like this one. I recall reading reviews when I was shopping that it worked great as an amp stand. Sorry I don't have a pic, but believe me it works. If you are serious about a cheap and clean solution like this I will snap a pic and upload it tonight when I am at home.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...c-guitar-stand

DV016_Jpg_Large_580387.001_black_R.jpg
I like this. I have lots of those. You will have to watch where the centre of gravity is on a combo so it doesn't topple forwards easily. bungee cords will fix that. It worth a few bucks to try it IMO.

Ops primary target is happy neighbours not styling.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder View Post
I have my Ampeg Jet on a guitar stand like this. Actually the stand has a neck support too, but I took it off so it looks like this one. I recall reading reviews when I was shopping that it worked great as an amp stand. Sorry I don't have a pic, but believe me it works. If you are serious about a cheap and clean solution like this I will snap a pic and upload it tonight when I am at home.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...c-guitar-stand

DV016_Jpg_Large_580387.001_black_R.jpg
I like this. I have lots of those. You will have to watch where the centre of gravity is on a combo so it doesn't topple forwards easily. bungee cords will fix that. It worth a few bucks to try it IMO.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor49

View Post

Well... styling wouldn't hurt. smile.gif I've got some ideas and when I have time to build (thinking maybe this weekend) I'm going to get cracking.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor49

View Post

Well... styling wouldn't hurt. smile.gif I've got some ideas and when I have time to build (thinking maybe this weekend) I'm going to get cracking.

• Members

For 37 dollars I might use this as a stand that i can plug in a Mic , Smartphone or stereo pedal too 14" X 14 " x8" just screw off the handle and plop

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-AC10...rds=guitar+amp

...you can plop a scrap wood from a local home depot or lumber yard on top for bigger surface area if needed..

and unscrew the the Behringer logo and put on a mini Badcat logo they sell on their site if you want fancy;-)

• Members
?id=286480&part=2&auth=co&disp=i

A few years ago when my wife complained that my amp was ruining the nice living room I put this together.
Made from an old dresser that I saw someone carrying to the curb for trash.
I opened up the back , re glued all the joints an added a plywood shelf . A scotch brite pad with tounge oil brought the finish back and I carpeted the inside for some vibration dampening. She thought it looked good so I was allowed back in the living room.
I've since moved my studio to the basement but like the stand.

• Members
?id=286480&part=2&auth=co&disp=i

A few years ago when my wife complained that my amp was ruining the nice living room I put this together.
Made from an old dresser that I saw someone carrying to the curb for trash.
I opened up the back , re glued all the joints an added a plywood shelf . A scotch brite pad with tounge oil brought the finish back and I carpeted the inside for some vibration dampening. She thought it looked good so I was allowed back in the living room.
I've since moved my studio to the basement but like the stand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've had one of these for several years - home and on stage. Works great and they are only $20 right now at MF! Very rugged and stable.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-amp-stand

I also have one of these. Don't like it as well because it doesn't tilt back much (in spite of the photo) and doesn't feel as stable.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/proline-pl7000-adjustable-amp-stand

• Members

Doctor49 wrote: I like this. I have lots of those. You will have to watch where the centre of gravity is on a combo so it doesn't topple forwards easily. bungee cords will fix that. It worth a few bucks to try it IMO.  .

I checked the stability on mine and it's nicely centered over the base.  The speaker magnet is placed toward the rear of the chassis.  There's not much weight up front of most combos when you think about it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Actually, not all that bad an idea. It's almost like one of those Enhancer stands:

Enhancer Stand

I made something like this for my old Peavey Bandit. Between having the angle fire up to my ears instead of my ankles, and redirecting the sound from the back of the amp out the front, I really liked what it did. Problem with my stand was that the vinyl wore off too easily. It would have been better if I had just painted it or done the truck liner stuff.

BanditStand

Doesn't help much with vibrations through the floor, so I'd probably recommend sitting it on top of one of the Auralex things or the equivalent.

Archived