What is your biggest guitar mistake?

Northstar

• Members

The finish on that guitar is very ugly. I paid $3,000 for that guitar and sold it a year later for $1,200. Funny, I sell it for $1,200 and then somebody emails me a week after I sell it offering me $2,750 for it. Oh well.

And those guitars are not collectible.

It seems 3000 is your magic number.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thread winnar. Ouch, it hurts just to read that.
:cry:

Thanks....One of the few threads I didn't really want to win! What really sucks is that If I had just kept the parts etc. it would still bring in a considerable amount of money. Young and dumb, that's my only excuse.

• Members

It's a toss up between my MIM Tele Std. and my Crate Palomino V8. I never learned to like the feel of the neck on the MIM Tele and the bridge PUP was either a trebly icepick nightmare or a muddy inarticulate blob, with no in between using the tone knob. I like the sound better now since I butchered the bridge cavity to drop in a SD antiquity but still just can't really bond with the neck. The Crate Palomino V8 I just never got into the tone of it. I liked the simplicity of it but it only has one tone, and I never really learned to like it.

• Members

Buying two late 70's MIJ Ibanez Iceman guitars (one black with cream binding, the other a set neck beautiful violin sunburst, both with DiMarzios in them) back in the band daze, and then later selling them/trading them for some junky bass guitar.

Jeebus, wtf was I thinking?
:facepalm:

i'm with ya brutha,..sold my ibanez iceman for $120...because i didnt think it would take the move/drive from california to maine,...then to top it off...i took the $120 and $200 more and bought a usa fender lead 1,...loved it,..but sold it to buy a univox bass so i could be in a band,.....butchered the univox with an original xl500 lawrence pickup,...(i thought i would revolutionize bass playing..ha!)...ended up giving the univox away before a move to florida,..and the worst gear regret i have,..i sold a SUNN 6x12 for $100....!!

• Members

selling my Fender Lead2...never able to find THAT again...

lol...i just posted about selling my fender lead 1!!!...it was the only fender that i could bond with!,...i have no idea what there worth today,...but i did love that guitar....very cool guitars,..

• Members

OMG...you win hands down. THE BIGGEST guitar mistake.

Yep, it was a pretty bad screw up. I can only learn from my mistake though. Now I only trade for better stuff. And I do this crazy thing called research before I make any trades. Still, I would love to find my old Martin.

• Members

Wasting too much time of gear with blinking lights and digital displays. Things that need programming and tweaking to get just right. This is such a time waster for me, that I will never own anything guitar related that is programmable. Give me knobs any day.

• Members

Wasting too much time of gear with blinking lights and digital displays. Things that need programming and tweaking to get just right. This is such a time waster for me, that I will never own anything guitar related that is programmable. I used to spend 3-4 hours to get the 'perfect' tone for a song, when I would have been better served practicing the solo of the song. Give me knobs any day.

• Members

In the 80's, having a ADA MP1 pre-amp, Alesis Quadraverb and a pair of H&K MOSFET power amps..:facepalm:...actually the ADA and Alesis were probably ok, but by the time they got through the H&K amps..it just sounded like a muffled mess...I spent hours programming horrible chorused distortion sounds...:cry:

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I'd say my biggest guitar mistake(s) involved selling guitars I should have kept- Like the amazing Kay chambered/hollowbody Strat-shaped instrument I had for a while, or the 1968 Stratocaster that I sold because I was moving and didn't have a case, or the Ibanez Iceman with the triple-coil pickup, and a long, chrome tailpiece. 

Then there was the Fender Electric XII that I got. I had been looking for a Fender Electric XII for a while, and had pretty much given up on ever seeing one, when I stumbled upon one in a San Francisco pawn shop for really cheap. I got the guitar home, and found that all the intonation screws for the bridge saddles were bent, making it hard to set up. I got the thing playing, but found that it didn't play or sound any way I had expected, and the action, though seemingly low, was quite stiff. I was disapointed, and within a couple of months, I traded it with a friend for a brand-new (1977, then) Stratocaster. I enjoyed playing the Stratocaster a lot, and my friend used the 12-string to play some slide guitar on. About three years later, however, I ran into my friend in the local pub, and she told me that she was going to sell the Electric XII, and did I want to buy it back? I said yes, but how much?, and she said that the price I had originally paid at the pawn shop was good enough. I raised the money to buy it back by selling the Stratocaster for a little more than that, and I got the 12-string back. This time, I replaced the bent screws in the bridge, and I adjusted the truss rod, and, magically, the guitar played amazingly sweetly and smoothly. I still have it, and I've recently had it re-fretted, even. A guitar mistake, finally corrected.

• Members

Two things actually

In the mid 80's I just had to buy this blueburst Hamer Flying V... I just had to have it. From the moment I owned it I knew that It had to go. What a piece of crapola it was. Oh it was a fickle bitch.

The other was selling my uncles old Harmony guitar to Chelsea music because I needed rent money. I regret that to this day.

Here are the guitars side by side

geets

• Members

if there are any parents on here, listen up (kids too) this is my story.

When I was 9-12 years old (1963-66) I took lessons. I could read  music, play fingerstyle from songbooks..pretty good for an 11 year old kid. Well, in the summer of 66 I stopped lessons and went on vacation for most of the summer with mom and dad and I left my guitar back home. I stopped the lessons (teenager). Looking back on it, I wished I had kept up with them as due to lack of practice for a few years, I lost the ability, due to lack of interest and practice. My biggest musical mistake. 

I coulda been a contender   lol

That is why the internet is so great, free lessons..:smiley-bounce005:

• Members

For some reason, it never registered with me that I could look up anything, including guitar lessons, online. When I was eleven, there was no Youtube, but for some reason, I thought that I HAD to have lessons in order to play. I think I would have at least had a headstart had anyone explained that you have to fret notes. For some reason, I thought you played guitar by muting the open notes.

Archived