What is your biggest guitar mistake?

Northstar

• Members

Ive passed up some nice stuff too: the best guitar Ive ever played was an 01 wine red Les Paul Custom... admittedly it did cost a lot tho, a bit more than Im willing to spend but sometimes I wonder...

I also passed up on buying a 1976 explorer... i always kinda regret that

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My biggest mistake was not keeping my first guitar, a black '93 US Fender Stratocaster with a rosewood fretboard. I was a terrible guitarist during my first three-four years of playing, and I had absolutely no clue about what I should do to sound good on that damn guitar.

First thing I did was to install a humbucker in the bridge. Why? {censored} if I know. I traded it for an Ibanez PGM100 with a cracked neck. :facepalm:

• Members

Selling some guitars I should have kept. Posting here instead of practicing.

Hey, you stole my post! Seriously, that names it for me too. The worst case of guitar I should have kept was a pre lawsuit Ibanez copy of an L5 (I still think of that one often with near tears in my eyes).

But i have many story of stupid mistakes. One is having installed an on-board pre-amp in my best and most expensive guitar, the B

• Members

I had a Doh! back in 87 when I sold my amazing 1985 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. And of all thing too fund the purchase of a new 87 Kramer Barretta.

I had too kick in another $200 on top of the Gibby btw.

Both are gone one costs about $4000 too replace and the other can be had for under $700 when they surface.

Next dumb thing was amp related. Traded a non working(easy fix) Marshall Major head for a SS Crate head and 2 4x12 cabs in the 80's as well.

I blame the hairspray.

Mine was selling my 1988 black gibson les paul custom... d'oh!

• Members

Way back in 1983 I bought a 1965 Mosrite semi hollow for $100 with the OHSC. It was all original with no modifications. I sold it 6 months later for $300 to pay for college tuition. 6 months after that, I saw it hanging on the wall at GC with a $1500 price tag on it. God only knows what it's worth today.

• Members

Marc is porting at least some of his current guitars in the same general area. He might be able to convert it for you if it doesn't clash with the way the top is tuned.

Hi Eristic. who is Marc? I'm highly interested in your comment but I'm afraid I did not quite understand what you meant. Could you elaborate a bit? Thanks! :thu:

• Members

Mine probably include -

+ Not learning to alternate pick until I'd been playing guitar for around 2 years

+ Only recently learning all the notes and intervals on the fretboard

+ Swapping around my gear a lot (Although i'm happy with my gear right now)

+ Not doing any sort of music theory until around 2 years ago

:facepalm:

• Members

Back when I was 18, I had been playing around a year and I had this Eros guitar that I subsequently found out was a copy of a Gibson Sonex (of all the guitars to copy...but anyway) I took it to a guitar shop and got it set up. The guy said nice guitar, plays great now, would sound amazing with a set of Gibson Dirty Finger pickups...so I said OK then please install them! When I went back to pick it up I plugged it into an amp in the shop and, yes, it did sound amazing, so I went home pleased with my decision. Plugged it into my own amp, and it sucked. Big time. Lesson learned - you'll only ever sound as good as your amp.

Mistake no. 2 was trading that guitar in for an Aria Strat copy and not having kept the original pickups, so I got far less in exchange for the guitar + Dirty Fingers than their worth.

• Members

My mistake was falling into what I call the 'technician trap'.

I play several wind instruments (still play clarinet in a swing band, used to play tenor sax in a jazz and tin whistle and flute in an Irish band) so I'm no stranger to music. But guitar has a whole other level of theory.

I used to rely solely on tab and learned one song at a time. I obsessed on gear and knew lots about how to get different sounds out of the guitar. But suggest a key change for a given song or ask me to play a certain scale...lost.

So I gave up electric for a decade. Got rid of 'gear'. Really got to know the instrument by playing acoustics.

And lessons. Should have taken lessons years ago.

• Members

Getting a T-60 as a kid back in 1980 as my first 'real' electric, and sticking with it forever because I was too unaware of how it limited my playing in some ways.

Loved the tones it could produce and therefore stayed in certain 'ruts' with it for a loooong time, but never really bonded with it ... too heavy/thin body/too thin neck. Didn't dial in on the "comfort" factor of playability until years later.

Still have it around, though :thu:

Archived