What is your biggest guitar mistake?

Northstar

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Selling my favorite guitar ever for a quick trade. I purchased an old, beat up, and heavily modified Gibson Les Paul Jr for $200. It had been repainted 16 times, quite literally, and the final touch was when someone covered the front with leopard print wallpaper and clearcoated it to make it permanent. The neck pickup spot with filled with a small lead weight (seriously) and the bridge pickup was modified to fit a humbucker. It weighed close to 20 pounds, but it sounded fantastic. I traded it for junk I never really played.

More recently, I purchased a BC Rich 10-string when a GFS 9-string build (9 string as in 12-string without the high octave strings on the low E, A, and D) went wrong. If the parts GFS had sold me weren't junk and I had completed that build, it would probably be a guitar that looked very cool and I rarely played. The BC Rich never got played because it was impossible TO play, and was sold soon after.

• Members

Selling my favorite guitar ever for a quick trade. I purchased an old, beat up, and heavily modified Gibson Les Paul Jr for $200. It had been repainted 16 times, quite literally, and the final touch was when someone covered the front with leopard print wallpaper and clearcoated it to make it permanent. The neck pickup spot with filled with a small lead weight (seriously) and the bridge pickup was modified to fit a humbucker. It weighed close to 20 pounds, but it sounded fantastic. I traded it for junk I never really played.

More recently, I purchased a BC Rich 10-string when a GFS 9-string build (9 string as in 12-string without the high octave strings on the low E, A, and D) went wrong. If the parts GFS had sold me weren't junk and I had completed that build, it would probably be a guitar that looked very cool and I rarely played. The BC Rich never got played because it was impossible TO play, and was sold soon after.

Interesting. I always assumed your "I miss my Mr Goodbomb" had been stolen.

• Members

Becoming a gearhead, and having bad cases of GAS.

This would be my wallet's answer. :cry:

I'd have to say my biggest guitar mistake was waiting for so long before trying P90's. I just got the sweetest SG Classic about a week ago and I can't put it down. I sold my Tele this morning (I know, I know... blasphemy) because it's just sitting there not getting used.

I really prefer the feel of a Gibson scale guitar with HB's over a Fender scale length with single coils, so the P90'd SG fits right in between my LP Custom and the Tele.

• Members

A 15-yr old version of me:

"I'm bored of drumming, how about taking up another more musical instrument? Well, EVERYBODY plays guitar and there are no bassist in my town. Why don't I take up bass instead?"

3 years later, the bass sits in my cupboard and I realise I wasted precious time playing root notes when I could have taken up guitar a year or so earlier.

• Members

easy. leaving my gear in an unattended van for a couple hours. everything stolen. the big ticket items were my hamer usa mirage 2, fender american standard strat, fender hot rod deville 4x10 -- but there was also a variety of effects and cables etc... total loss. never found. quit the band, quit playing guitar for about 2 years.

that stuff took me all of my teen years to acquire then gone in an instant and I still don't have anything as good as those were.

• Members

easy. leaving my gear in an unattended van for a couple hours. everything stolen. the big ticket items were my hamer usa mirage 2, fender american standard strat, fender hot rod deville 4x10 -- but there was also a variety of effects and cables etc... total loss. never found. quit the band, quit playing guitar for about 2 years.

that stuff took me all of my teen years to acquire then gone in an instant and I still don't have anything as good as those were.

Ouch. That's bad. I can't fault you though.

• Members

In 1976 I had a 1963 Strat. Perfect condition, black w/ rosewood. I paid $200 for it.

I traded it even at a local store for a brand new Gibson Midnight Special (very stripped down model of the L6-S).

I still kick myself.

• Members

Gee, man, this is terrible and particularily the disheartening that followed. :(

Hope all is well again, man.

• Members

Gee, man, this is terrible and particularily the disheartening that followed.
:(

Hope all is well again, man.

thanks -- I still dream about finding the guy and shoving my shoe down his throat, but I've moved on.

here's a tip though, if you don't want your skills to atrophy, don't quit for a long period of time. I didn't touch a guitar for 2 years and it's been over a year since I returned to it and I still am not close to as good as I was before the quit. I just don't remember how I did the things I used to do, to be honest.

• Members

Why? Because of the funky finish, or because it's a 7-string?

BTW, those Ibanez Universes, are highly coveted by some 7-string players.

The finish on that guitar is very ugly. I paid $3,000 for that guitar and sold it a year later for $1,200. Funny, I sell it for $1,200 and then somebody emails me a week after I sell it offering me $2,750 for it. Oh well.

And those guitars are not collectible.

• Moderators

I looked up "porting" and could not see what it meant in the context of a guitar's side. Some luthier have a sound hole there. Maybe that's what you meant. That could be interesting indeed and, in this case, I'd rather have Marc do it himself, yes.

It is basically just a smaller, secondary sound hole. Have a look through the gallery at his website. A lot of his "modern" builds have one. In fact, I think the pic that pops when you highlight the menu option for "gallery" shows one pretty clearly!

The McKnight I have on the way is ported, and it's something I'd strongly consider on any custom-ordered acoustic. It disperses sound much better than a single hole all-around, and the overall sonic "image" is more open and natural, as you hear the instrument's voice immediately, without reflection.

• Members

It is basically just a smaller, secondary sound hole. Have a look through the gallery at his website. A lot of his "modern" builds have one. In fact, I think the pic that pops when you highlight the menu option for "gallery" shows one pretty clearly!

The McKnight I have on the way is ported, and it's something I'd strongly consider on any custom-ordered acoustic. It disperses sound much better than a single hole all-around, and the overall sonic "image" is more open and natural, as you hear the instrument's voice immediately, without reflection.

I just learned a new word.:)

I went to his website to have a look. Amazing how Marc's guitars have evolved since he made my guitar in 1981. Mine has a definite "Larriv

• Members

I've got the mother of all guitar mistakes. And I have to live with it every single day. When I first started playing guitar back in '97 I was given my fathers nylon string Martin acoustic from probably the 40's or so. It had been given to him from his parents or grandparents or something. I just wanted to learn to play and I did that but I had no regard for the guitar or taking care of it nor did I understand the value of certain instruments, especially vintage ones. I was real big into punk rock and metal and it got real beat up. I even carved some things into the wood with a knife
:cry:
. Eventually after a couple of years I had a few other guitars (Yamaha acoustic, Squire Strat, Ibanez 7 string) and I was browsing some local guitar shops in the Whittier, California area and I had my Martin in the car with me. I saw a Blue HSS Stratocaster in the shop and played it and really liked it but didn't have any cash. So basically I swapped them my vintage classical Martin for a {censored}ing strat.
:facepalm:
Ya, I gotta live with that horrible mistake for the rest of my life. Unless I can one day find it. That'd be sweet.

OMG...you win hands down. THE BIGGEST guitar mistake.

Archived