70s Fender Starcaster Petition

FoonkySteve

• Members

6) Most times when things like this come up, people are attracted to the instrument because of the limited nature of the instrument. You take that away, and you lose a BIG chunk of the audience. That's why the guy in the Killers plays one...because nobody else does.

That's the real nub - it's a connoisseur's model because it's little-known compared to most Fenders, much like, say, the Tele Deluxe before it was reissued. I can think of quite a few instruments which weren't liked all that much at the time but which now have trainspotter appeal - the XII, Swinger, Bass V, Coronado, Villager, whatever that one with the cut down XII body and six strings was called - Custom? Anyway, you get the point. A three grand reissue could be executed perfectly, but it will never be a 35-year-old rarity (well, not until 2046).

The second BIG issue is the pickups. There have been any number of reissues with "mock" wide-range humbuckers (WRHB lookalike cases with conventional flat-magnet and steel polepiece construction inside). However they sound pretty much the same as any other generic humbucker. To make a PROPER WRHB, you need threaded CuNiFe magnet rod, not currently available and expensive to make, instead of the normal threaded steel. Fender has so far reissued the Tele Custom, the Tele Deluxe and the Ranaldo Jazzmaster with mock WRHBs, and has never shown any inclination to make the original design properly again, probably because of cost. A $3000 Starcaster with mock WRHBs is an expensive 335 variant with a bolt-neck (widely regarded as a drawback for a semi-hollow). With the original pickup design, and their unique sound, it might have a chance, but I strongly doubt the resource commitment to make threaded CuNiFe pickups (and educate the buyers, thus undermining the reissues with the mock WRHBs) is even remotely worth it.

Sorry to pour cold water but this is the reality - and the fact is, they haven't reissued the model, whereas they have reissued even stuff like the Bass VI because it was viable to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
Signed.

Thankyou Very Much my man!

Well.......Howdy Gents! Its been a long time!, and yes (this will please many of you) i have almost admitted defeat, the petition has not been moving as rapidly as i hoped it would(Just like a lot of you said):facepalm:. Although, i have not been behind it pushing as much for the past 3 months, due to family issues.

However, the petition now stands at 464 signatures!:thu:

So thankyall for the continued support!

FoonkySteve:thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm actually building a Starcaster copy for someone right now.

I no longer post build threads here due to people like DocJeffery, etc... trolling my threads.

When it's done I'll post pics as a NGD.

Awesome!

Cant wait to see how it turns out! I have so many questions, but ill wait until the NGD:thu:

• Members
will do. I also have a stash of original pickups and a few other orig parts as well.

Ah,... I remember you mentioned this near the start of the thread:thu:

Im having to hold back now, i want to ask about the finish,neck,fretboard,headstock,price,you gonna make more if it turns out good, making any changes to the original design????????????

But i'll wait, even though i've kinda already asked:facepalm::o

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

foonkysteve. wrote:

It's Here!!!!!!!!!!!

My Starcaster arrived last night, I officialy own a Fender Starcaster!
:)
Only got a little play time on it last night and about 10mins this morning! It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics to follow......

Well, sweet Jeebus!

I was wondering if you'd come back and say something about this. I even asked if anybody was in touch with you in the HCEG Facebook group, but nobody seemed to have been.

Pics! Audio! Video!

Archived