The Doom Room

book_of_lies777

• Replies 29.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boris is some cool stuff, been a while since I listened to them.

You can play doom on anything really, a lot of its attitude the note selection -- low output PAFs, moderate gain, boosted with some Fuzz and you really have the formula, just tune at least a step down to start getting into the territory. I don't like to tune down to C, I play in straight D tuning.

• Members

drop C is as low as I go - alot of my other non-doom stuff is in E standard or drop D

here's an interview with Atsuo of Boris(no idea when this occurred):

http://radcompany.net/Storys/NewsStorys/BORIS/BORIS.html

Boris is pushing beyond the limits of stoner metal and into new territories of sound. They have been slowly building a strong-as-nails fan base that borders on obsessive infatuation. We spoke to their drummer/singer Atsuo, in Tokyo from our office in Brooklyn. You are about to read what is possibly the only English translated (yeah, we're smart like that) Boris interview. We spent a fortune in long distance but it was worth it to get this suprisingly deep conversation. Long distance never hurt so good.

Rad Company: Thank you for talking with us. It's early in Japan... What time is it?

Atsuo: 8:20 AM.

R.C. - Did you just wake up?

A. - No, I've been up all night.

R.C. - Do you watch TV?

A. - No.

R.C. - Where are you in Japan?

A. - Tokyo.

R.C. - How the hell did you get into Heavy Metal living in Japan?

A. - In Japan, there's really not a category of heavy metal. Rock metal or heavy metal is not so big. We came from punk and hardcore. Me and Takeshi were influenced mainly by punk and hardcore.

R.C. - So you didn't listen to heavy metal?

A. - Of course, we heard about heavy metal for several years. When we finally listened, we thought it was interesting.

We like it, but hear it through punk and that's interesting too.

R.C. - Are there any heavy metal bands you like?

A. - Venom, of course, but we like hardcore better.

R.C. - Did Boris members meet in Tokyo?

A. - No, we're all from different places. We met when we were students in the same art school.

R.C. - In Japan, is there a scene for your music?

Are there many bands like Boris in Japan?

A. - Bands like us? Just recently we played an event with Ruby, Church of Misery, GREENMACHiNE, Eternal Elysyum. Many people came, so I guess there's a scene. We are all friends, but we never think we're some kind of genre.

R.C. - Is there a favorite Japanese band you can recommend?

A. - Nice View, and all the bands we played with (above).

R.C. - Who picks out the english titles for some of your records?

A. - Me and Takeshi.

R.C. - Where do you get the titles from?

A. - Some, of course, to just describe the song, but mostly just inspiration.

R.C. - Can you speak English?

A. - No, just very, very, very broken English.

R.C. - Why the spoof on Akuma No Uta of Nick Drake? Do you like him?

A. - I love Nick Drake. I respect him. That song is an homage.

Boris fans maybe can't imagine listening to folk music, but it's something important to us. There is one music growing up separate into different genres. Many people just listen to one genre and don't know about other genres, but I like all kinds of music, artwork. I like to make the connections and show them. So people might understand Nick Drake's music has influenced our music. Maybe a lot of people don't know that.

R.C. - Do you think Satan (the devil) influences your music?

A. - Satan is often used as a motif in heavy metal music. But to me, the devil is not a symbol but a moment that touches on morals. A moment when daily life changes to non-daily life. The moment when a person changes - that is the devil. Or the potential that inspires that person to change. The evil is not a symbol, but an everyday occurence. There is usually scary and it's an interesting possiblilty.

R.C. - Wow, that's really interesting.

A. - People often mistake us for an ordinary metal band. We're not. It's simple to talk about Satan as a symbol. But it's important to consider the deeper meaning of the symbol.

R.C. - How and with what equipment did you record Akuma No Uta with?

A. - Analog tape recorded in the studio in one take.

R.C. - Really!?

A. - We wanted to capture the feeling of the moment. We wanted to include all the noises in the studio that most recordings discard. Usually those noises are not important, but we wanted to include those meaningless things. Information on the meaningless notes are contained and are given some worth. At the time of recording Akuma No Uta, we are looking for reality. We are going for music with reality. But consequently, sometimes it may be a lie.

R.C. - So that's why your drums sound rough like they do.

A. - Yeah, that's right. Also the sound that exists in my head is reproduced with the recording and the mix. And it is said that it becomes that violent sound if it wants to. As a general rule, hi-fi is not required.

R.C. - It doesn't suit your sound anyway.

A. - Doesn't suit it - that doesn't mean anything! It's just not necessary.

• Members

Boris interview continued:

R.C. - Do you have a favorite drummer?

A. - Of course, I love Dale Crover from the Melvins, and Ian Page from Deep Purple, eh, Carmine Appice from Vanilla Fudge and Cactus. But aside from drummers, Iggy Pop, Ted Nugent, Nick Cave. Those people influenced me more than any drummers. I'm influenced by drummers for drumming technique of course, but as a musician, I'm influenced by

people like Nick Cave.

R.C. - I understand.

A. - I want to be Nick Cave as a drummer.

R.C. - Ha ha ha....

A. - Usually a drummer aims to be like another drummer, a guitarist like a guitarist, but it ends there. That gets boring.

The way I see it, it doesn't expand anything.

R.C. - I think your music is great.

A. - Thank you.

R.C. - What records do you practice to?

A. - What do you mean?

R.C. - When you practice - for example, what songs do you play along to - or do you only play your own songs?

A. - We only play our own songs.

R.C. - ehhh . .

A. - Individually, we don't practice at all.

R.C. - Oh really?

A. - We write our songs in the studio as a jam session.

R.C. - Wow, so you have real power!

A. - If we don't do it together, with all of our instruments and gear, our feelings can't be uplifted.

R.C. - mmm..

A. -And also, if we don't play loud we don't feel it.

R.C. - hmmmm...

A. -Practice is just reproduction of the sound we make. When we play, it has neither the sense or concept of practicing.

R.C. - Can you play "Honey Bucket" from the Melvin's Houdini album?

A. - No, it's too difficult

R.C. - Do you have a theme in your music?

A. - Different theme for each song.

R.C. - But in general, fundamentally is there one?

A. - No. Not really.

R.C. - Really?

A. - In the studio, our sound informs us. Also, sound and my consiousness and unconsciousness interfere with each other, and afterwards, the theme of the tune appears. Having some kind of preconceived message or theme is very boring to me. It becomes a crutch. Just say what you want to say. When sound is emitted, when we connect with the world, we can see some world, some story. We have to understand it. That's our way. sorry, I guess I've gotten pretty conceptual.

R.C. - No, no, I understand. Do you take drugs?

A. - No.

R.C. - No?

A. - Just alcohol

R.C. - Your music has a druggy sound.

A. - Psychedelic. A lot of people tell us that. Illusion and auditory hallucination are originally in the human brain. It's just enhanced by drugs. But consciousness may also shift just from hearing a sound. I think that the state of perception before it touches something or before it swings is the most dangerous. But I really like that dangerous feeling.

R.C. - Boris has been playing for a long time, haven't you?

A. - Yeah, 11 or 12 years.

R.C. - When I listen to your music I imagine the crowds at your shows must be pretty wild. Have there been any out of control episodes?

A. - No, not at all.

R.C. - No? But i'd think there were...

A. - Just a while ago in Belgium, the crowd was very excited. That was pretty fun.

R.C. - But the crowds in Japan are not so crazy?

A. - Yeah, no stage diving.

R.C. - You'd think they would.

A. - Really?

R.C. - Sure, from your music

A. - At the other day's show, GREENMACHiNE's crowd went wild, but for us, people only put their hands in the air. It was not a riot.

R.C. - Wata is pretty small, isn't she. Do you ever worry about her during shows?

A. - No, not at our shows. Our stage is pretty peaceful.

R.C. - Have you ever played in the US?

A. - Yeah, nineteen-ninety something. 2 or 3 years after we formed. We did a short tour of Seattle, Portland, Olympia. Something like 5 places.

R.C. - So has your sound changed since then?

A. - I don't think it's really changed, except that I used to be the main vocal, and now the bass player is the main vocal. But the sound hasn't changed.

R.C. - I didn't know you guys had been around for so long.

A. - Last year, in October, we played a show in NYC.

R.C. - So you have been here to the US.

A. - Yeah, 2 times. And this autumn we're planning on coming back again. West coast and New York are in the works.

R.C. - If Rad Company invited you, would you play the Radcofest?

A. - If the negotiations go well, we'll go anywhere.

R.C. -So how much?

A. - Somebody's gotta pay to bring the band and equipment and everything out here. It depends on the number of staff and the scale of the event, equipment rental local coordination and setup. Trustworthy equipment is key, otherwise I can't play,

of course.

R.C. - Next album - what's it like?

A. - hmmm...

R.C. - Can you give us a hint?

A. - Since Akuma No Uta we've put out 3 albums. Last month we released a new album.

R.C. - Really?

A. - It's a very quiet album.

R.C. - eh, not hard?

A. - Yeah. We put out two kinds of records. When we spell BORIS in all caps, it's a hard rock album; small letter boris is more quiet. Easy for people when they're buying our music. Akuma No Uta is an ALL CAP album. The album we're recording now is an all cap album. We're planning on

releasing it this fall.

R.C. - What kind of album is it? What's it like?

A. - uh...

R.C. - You're recording now?

A. - Yeah, recording a lot. After Akuma No Uta, we put out 3 quieter albums. We're using the feedback from those albums to make this new one. I think it's kind of a rock zen album. I think it's a brand new sound that the world hasn't heard yet.

R.C. - Wow! I'm looking forward to hearing it.

A. - If you don't make something new, there's no point

R.C. - Yeah.

A. - That's expression. Making something new. That's our feeling.

R.C. - Let's make a dream band, OK? If you could put together any musicians, living or dead, who would you choose? Quickly without thinking, does anyone come to mind?

A. - Oh . . dream band . . .

R.C. - This person, that person, together . .

A. - My head is pretty full of my own music right now, so no one comes to mind. When we jam, when we play together,

I have the image of My Bloody Valentine in my head. But I never actually heard My Bloody Valentine.

R.C. - eh!

A. - But as for musicians, I guess Neil Young. When we play in our minds, we have Neil Young, Nick Cave. That's how we make our music.

R.C. - Lastly, do you have a message for the kids in the US?

A. - Kids?

R.C. - Yeah, kids.

A. - Kids are important because the world of the future comes from them. They change the world. So change the world. Just imagine it.

R.C. - Thanks! Thank you so much. Especially so early in the morning.

A. - No problem.

R.C. - We look forward to seeing you in New York!

• Members

Boris interview continued:

R.C. - Do you have a favorite drummer?

A. - Of course, I love Dale Crover from the Melvins, ...

That's funny because I was just about to say that I think the Melvins were one of the founding doom bands.

I caught on to them when they put out Ozma and saw them on that tour and every other time they came through town up to the Lysol tour then had a point in my life where I stopped going out. Great {censored}ing band!

• Members

Type O Negative aren't exactly a doom band (seeing as they tend to veer from hardcore to doom to goth....I love this band) but here's their cover of 'Black Sabbth' and they NAILED it! Love the vibe on this one.

[YOUTUBE]3IrGybH2jE8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I like thin strings, I can't stand big thick strings but I have small stubby fingers and they just don't work for me. I've tried everything string wise of course through the years. I was playing 9-42s for a long time but am back to DR 10-46. Also, we play abut half doom and half more traditional stoner rock.

I really am not digging that Type O version of Black Sabbath.

• Members

Thanks bro.

Mammal is some righteous {censored} as well.

cool man ... thank you

I do need to get some new tracks recorded though to put up on there. We're a three peice now and have changed a bit.

I can't wait to get some songs up for my next project though .... the new stuff/band is a bit more experiemental and psychedelic compared to Mammal.

Archived