The Doom Room

book_of_lies777

• Members

So what kind of set ups(guitars,amps,fx) is everyone using to play some doom?

I use my gibson v into a big muff or a tubescreamer into a vox ad50 or valve junior

I use a Edwards Black Beauty LP > Keely Katana > Sunn Model T (re-issue but modded nicely) > Avatar 4x12 + '69 Sunn 2x15

• Replies 29.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Evening bump. Check out my doom/stoner rock tone:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6126308

Les Paul VM with Burstbucker Pros into a Marshall DSL on moderate gain with the DOD Fuzz pretty cranked, I was experimenting with the fuzz some. EQ in a mild frown. Tuning is standard D. Played on the neck pup. recorded with Audacity about a foot back into a vocal mic, volume on about 2, so no real tube saturation going on, most of the breakup is the pedal, really nasty. I have bad cold so playing is a lotta sloppy especially the dual guitar parts -- man those are off!

• Members

Evening bump. Check out my doom/stoner rock tone:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6126308

Les Paul VM with Burstbucker Pros into a Marshall DSL on moderate gain with the DOD Fuzz pretty cranked, I was experimenting with the fuzz some. EQ in a mild frown. Tuning is standard D. Played on the neck pup. recorded with Audacity about a foot back into a vocal mic, volume on about 2, so no real tube saturation going on, most of the breakup is the pedal, really nasty. I have bad cold so playing is a lotta sloppy especially the dual guitar parts -- man those are off!

I like it :thu:. . .

. . . still can not believe you use (acording to me) the worst fuzz out there - i just hated the my FX66, and gave it away - but it clearly works for you :evil:.

Good One

;)

• Members
check out the clip that Guttermouth posted in this thread

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1790698&highlight=doom+room

homemade amp too!

That's so heavy :thu:

This is the only remotely doomy clip of myself I can find now, from an Amp Forum drum jam posted ages ago

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=493678&songID=4948539

V-Amp 2 and Epi LP Custom

• Members

. . . still can not believe you use (acording to me) the worst fuzz out there - i just hated the my FX66, and gave it away - but it clearly works for you
:evil:

Good One

;)

Thanks man, I can't for the whole band to get a hold of that song tomorrow night. Me and the bass player wrote a couple of weeks ago and I worked on the arrangement and a few riffs over the last couple of days. The ending is really insane and is not on that recording, its long and slow and effects laden -- very Electric Wizard in fact. We even have a Theramin! We purposely float in the stoner/doom/psychedelic/southern hard blues genres so we don't get stuck in one rut. Keeps things fun and interesting. If it were up to me, I'd be 100% doom but I have bassist who is amazing and loves things like Fu Manchu, Nebula, and Acid King (skater stoner rock fan) which is totally cool as well and he does my doom so we work great together. The drummer is more of a straight up hard rock guy. The singer, just a an old school rock guy but he used to sing for my old band and trying to get him to get into this style more but his voice fits it well.

Here is another clip, you can see that I do a lot of blues based stuff also, this is slower and heavier, again me and the drum machine so I wouldn't forget what I wrote, but this has a major swing to to it -- we had to keep the singer from throwing like these Stray Cat type melodies on (which actually fit perfectly!) This was recorded before I arranged the song, its different now but you get the idea, I like this one a lot -- less fuzz:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5993033

On the fuzz -- I agree, by itself, it may be the worst fuzz on the planet, I would agree with you. But I use it as a boost where it works great. It blends in well with the amps natural gain. Sounds better than a Big Muff and a few other Fuzz pedals I've tried for that. I'm going to order another just in case it craps out. But I am going to try a ProCo Rat and probably use it for solos.

• Members

fully cranked, about as loud as a tiny terror on about 1, like loudish tv volume- its very midrangey and does kinda have a proper orange sound

I also just got a new guitar, a 2 pickup black melody maker- I already replaced the knobs with carved ebony domes and the switchtip with chrome, and installed my favorite giant ass strap buttons (like the size of the ones on some agiles, like um better than locks) but i wasnt gonna post about the guitar cause i cant take passable pix til the weekend

• Members

{censored} it here's a quick one

cc98f098.jpg

I haven't been able to locate one of those new MM to try out. How do they sound? Are they thin, Fenderish, or have a sound to themselves? How do they handle gain? I'm not in the market for one, just curious. I already have single coil Gibson (SG Classic) and don't need another.

• Members

^^^^I need a mic :( ^^^^

I haven't been able to locate one of those new MM to try out. How do they sound? Are they thin, Fenderish, or have a sound to themselves? How do they handle gain? I'm not in the market for one, just curious. I already have single coil Gibson (SG Classic) and don't need another.

they sound kinda weird...like fatter than a strat, but not like a p90 SG... more tele like oddly enough. kinda thin, but nowhere near strat thin. the pickups are pretty noisy and this one isn't wired out of phase in the middle position so its even noisier, but I like the sound a lot- in fact its my 2nd of the new MMs and I've missed the first since I sold it. It sounds awesome with gain, very ragged, but it will feedback if you glance at it wrong. Its got its own character that prolly isn't for everyone but for low tech sounding stuff I like it, and the cleans are nice

• Members
^^^^I need a mic
:(
^^^^

they sound kinda weird...like fatter than a strat, but not like a p90 SG... more tele like oddly enough. kinda thin, but nowhere near strat thin. the pickups are pretty noisy and this one isn't wired out of phase in the middle position so its even noisier, but I like the sound a lot- in fact its my 2nd of the new MMs and I've missed the first since I sold it. It sounds awesome with gain, very ragged, but it will feedback if you glance at it wrong. Its got its own character that prolly isn't for everyone but for low tech sounding stuff I like it, and the cleans are nice

My kid is convinced now that the only good guitars are Gibson's (10 years old and a headstock cork sniffer already!) and while I don't mind her playing mine, I have to be in the room. No playing the LP or SG when pop is not around. I'm wondering if one of those MM would work for her. Of course if she doesn't play it, NGD for me :D, so that's why all the questions. Kind of tele-ish huh, I like teles, sold mine. Don't miss it though, never played it. Got Epi Dot fever now. Ragged is good, I really never play clean, in fact my tone is getting uglier and uglier as time goes on, just the more big fat fuzzed out tone that I love.

• Members

oh it does fuzz VERY well, and as for the tele thing, thats one of my favorite things about it- I love the sound of a distorted tele but i hate the fender feel, so this nails the sound and feels great. I wish I had this guitar when i was doing skate punk in the early 90s

• Members

I like the tone and the playing, not bad I'm not sure about the drums though, and i dont know how to explain what i think because i don't know drums very well

Thanks, dude. To be honest, I threw this together in like 5 mins. I had a second track, but decided to nix it. I just chose a drum beat that was slooow. I probably need to play along more with the drum machine also. My timing sux, even for something this slow.

oh, and I'm tuned down a half step to Eb!

• Members

heh thats what I tuned the MM to, first time I've ever tried it, before I've always been E, D or C, OCD struggles against half steps ;)

I need to find my OSX cd so I can install the drum loops for Garageband so I can try my hand at it

Archived