The Doom Room

book_of_lies777

• Members

Joey, I'm digging the Morley Bad Horsie II -- you have almost the same rig as me so I think you might like it. When we do shows together, if one of our rigs has a problem, we can just borrow from each other
:D
-- of course you know that I'm not kidding, you and Dave are the few people that I'd let use my stuff.

THANKS BRO, We'd do the same for you as well ! I was thinking you might think I was copying you or something, but we have the same tastes in music and I trust your choices in gear :) I switched back to guitar from bass about 6 months ago , so it's been helpful since I haven't been keeping up with guitar gear all of these years. Actually I just gave Dave one of my Vipers, he's letting his Silverburst take a much needed break. At our last show I actually had to let him use my other Viper as the strappeg broke off of the one I gave him seconds into the first song ! Uggg ! I'll probably pick up that Morley Wah on your recomendation sometime soon , this crybaby has sucked from the time I brought it home.

• Replies 29.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Cry Baby, blah sweep, sounds like {censored} with my rig, and I can't ever tell if its on or off. The Morley is sweet, I can just put my foot on it and wah away. No thinking about it. The CB sounds good when I run unboosted, but I boost with a fuzz pedal and it just kills the wah signal. Doesn't do it with the Morley, I can contour that thing up and still get a nice wah sound. Actually, Morley is an old school tried and true brand, I don't feel too bad about it
:D

Back in the day to get that Sabbath sound, it was a cheap rig, I'm talking late 70s/early 80s and this was considered a junk rig -- Orange amp (yes they were not held in the regard they are today), a Big Muff, and a Morley Pedal. You could buy that setup for nothing. I had 2 friends who had older brothers who had Orange half stacks and both considered them junkards. I thought Orange amps sucked until maybe 10 years ago when I rediscovered them.

Well, I like Crowbar a lot, I've just been on a Down kick lately so maybe that's jading my current opinion.

Down is some good listening ... Phil's lyrics aside (hit or miss)

Where would you rate Down on the Doom spectrum?

Southern Bayou Metal perhaps?

• Members
Totally worth the wait man. I absolutely love mine. So much so, I am considering selling my stable of other classic amps.

Here's a quick pic:

Picture924-1.jpg

I'll take a better shot with my main axes , later.

Hells yah! hehehehheheeee.

I'm already deaf so it doesn't matter to me!

:love: :love:

:thu:

• Members

Down is some good listening ... Phil's lyrics aside (hit or miss)

Where would you rate Down on the Doom spectrum?

Southern Bayou Metal perhaps?

Phil has openly said in early interviews that Down is their southern/NOLA interpretation of Black Sabbath. I don't think I'd consider Down really a doom band, however they do have some doom songs and styling in their stuff -- If I had to throw a label on them, I'd say they are a southern stoner sludge band, and a damn good one at that.

I'd have to say that doom/stoner records of the year for 2007:

Electric Wizard: Witchcult Today

Witchcraft: The Alchemist

Down: III Over the Under

Reverend Bizarre: So Long Suckers

• Members

I saw Down live when they opened for Black Sabbath on the dio-reunion tour. I was expecting good things because of the doom sound they were meant to have but I was really dissapointed, was really boring to me.

As for gear I tried a Morley classic wah and was less than impressed, sweep was good but it was almost like nothing happened for the first 3/4 of the sweep and then just suddenly went really high. I shall have to try the Bad Horsie someday though.

Also I see a lot of doom bands use those old coloured Matamps. That Sleep video of them doing Dragonaut one guy was using a Green amp. Is there a difference between them aside from colour?

• Members

So is the Red matamp different to the Green matamp?

Colors have nothing to with them these days (the new models you can buy, the toltex color) and the USA Electric Amps are not Matamps, that needs to be made clear. The desired Matamp (from Matamp out of the UK) is the GTL which actually is no longer a factory production model as of maybe two years ago. You can get them made with any color you want. Matamp makes one now called the GT1 which is basically a GTO and a GTL combined into one amp. Vintage Matamps are a different story.

Matt Pike played a real UK made Green Matamp in Sleep, but now uses Soldanos if I'm not mistaken. Green's were named after Peter Green actually. I"m not sure about the circuitry/wattage of them. Orange and Matamp were the same company at one time, look up their Web site, they have the history there, been a while since I've read it.

• Members

details?

I sold my Russian Big Muff last month...

I tried one out and was very unimpressed with the fuzz tones out of it, more like an OD than a fuzz pedal. I thought it was misrepresented as a fuzz pedal even.

I'm going to get a Hyper Fuzz or a modded Rat to try as a boost maybe. I use a DOD Flashback Fuzz which I am happy with but in my search for better tone, I keep trying things. I don't really engage the fuzz full tilt or anything, like I said, I use it as a mild boost only in front of some pretty moderate gain and it gets me a pretty damn heavy tone between the two. By themselves, its fairly tame. The Flashback Fuzz sounds like ass on it's own but as a mild boost, it hits a sweet spot. I EQ it to my liking. I hate Big Muffs, they never have done what I want them to. I have an Arbitor clone that a friend built that is just brutal and I do like it a lot but it is only battery run and eats batteries pretty fast, the only reason I don't use it full time.

• Members
aahh, I see...

how about the old faithful Fuzz Face?

239211.jpg

I've read good and bad about those in general, some reliability issues and they don't really sound like the classic ones that cost a fortune. But that being said, I've tried once and though and thought it was a cool pedal, but didn't spend enough time with or use as a boost, just straight up. 5 minutes was about it and then just some research. They have a vintage one at my local GC and want a butt load of cash for it, more than I am willing to pay. I might test out next weekend though for the hell of it.

• Members

yeah, I won't pay vintage or boo-teek prices...

I hear ya nothings worth what people pay for that stuff, I would try out the usa big muff thats what I use for some of my doomy tones also some other good fuzzes worth checking out would be the new dunlop hendrix fuzz face, boss fz5, and maybe the mxr distortion 3

We should make like a d00m kvlt or something!!

Archived