• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Greatest doom songs:

Reverend Bizarre: Council of Ten
Black Sabbath: Hand of Doom or Electric Funeral
Place of Skulls: Return
Sleep: Dragonaut
Electric Wizard: the entire new Witchcult Today album, just amazing (chosen few and Dunwich are standout tunes)

I was about 18 and was tripping really hard in this dudes room that was painted in black light paint and had black lights and Christmas lights and black posters all over it. He put on Electric Funeral and it just blew me away. Ever since then, that has been the ultimate doom song for me.

• Members

Electric Funeral is THE song that made me buy a wah-wah pedal
:rawk:

Haha, me too actually. As soon as I got it I just cranked up my amp and played that song. As for gear I don't actually have any pics but I use a Vox V847 wah and a Big Muff. The amp I use is an Ashton VP30, while this isn't a great amp for doom, more for classic rock it takes pedals extremely well so I get a great sound with the Muff. I shall soon be getting an SG as well to make my doom metal sound complete, somehow a strat copy just doesn't cover it.

Also check out these guys, they prove you don't need a heap of gain to get a great doom tone either, hell the singer uses a semi-hollow.

[YOUTUBE]fCzRyM_tiSg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The mighty Witchcraft! Great band, I love those guys, they should be the biggest band in the world. The singer looks like a guy I used to buy weed from a long time ago :D. See, a semi-hollow CAN be used for doom! I plan on doing it with the Dot I am buying tomorrow!

I just tested my new Wah, a Morley Bad Horsie II -- awesome for doom! Blows away the Cry Baby I had. Just put your foot on it and it activates, no worries about clicking it on and off.

• Members
you know how bassists sometimes use aluminum cones in their speaker cabs? How would that sound with a guitar in a doom context? Would it even work? I know alot of bass gear is used with guitars in this genre...

:confused:

I often practice with a 250 watt Warwick solid-state bass combo and it sounds great. Plenty loud enough (esp. with an ext. cab) as well as being loads lighter than my Marshall to move around.

• Members

Though it never panned out for me, as a teen I always saw myself as being in a doom/goth/death metal-inspired outfit someday. My early notebooks of lyrics generally centered on apocalyptic images and themes ala Sabbath. However, it's difficult to reconcile my love of this musical genre with the fact that, oh you know, I'm kind of a Baptist pastor. LOL!

awesome

Dude, I'm not religious, but if I were baptist, I'd want you as my pastor.

You've got to keep your feet on the ground somehow.

• Members

Trouble were Christian doom weren't they?

Kind of but not really. They had those themes and got pegged by fans and the media as a Christian band but the band themselves never came right out and called themselves that nor did they really deny it either. Their later work certainly is not, but it's not non-Christian either -- it's just more secular classic/psychedelic hard rock and is still excellent. Place of Skulls are a Christian doom band, Victor Griffin formally of Pentagram is the leader of the band. Some of the stuff they do is even a little controversial, they have a song called Cornerstone that pretty much slams all organized religions and calls them all out as false basically, kind of turned me off as he mentions my faith by name in the song. I get what he is saying but not how he is delivering the message, seems he doesn't have a grasp on some aspects of various faiths or wanting to take the time to understand and respect them. I even sent him an email about it (a nice respectful one) but never heard back. I still like the band, I don't like that song.

But listening to Place of Skulls music, Victor seems to be a guy that was really troubled at one time and found something that turned him around. I like that and can relate, one of the things that drew me to them after I got into them for the guitars. I was a fan for about a year before I really started listening to the lyrics and what they were saying.

• Members

Meh, whatever you call the hardest of the hardest.

This is the most brutal and hardest band I know : Amen Ra

[YOUTUBE]DxbA5yqC7MA[/YOUTUBE]

And this is one of the most technical hard bands that I know : Officer Jones And His Patrol Car Problems

[YOUTUBE]0jvanKxjKmU[/YOUTUBE]

Both bands are Belgian. (Officer Jones have quit though, that video is their last show ever and I was there, people went mad as you can see in the vid from time to time)

• Members

some good ole stoner skate rock

Fu Manchu is greatness, but not really doom. There is a difference between stoner rock and doom, some bands really blur that line -- Kyuss often did and Orange Goblin does a lot as well. In fact people call Orange Goblin a doom band, I have three of their CDs, I don't really think they are doom at all, more stoner rock and even straight up metal. Their first CD is pure greatness, its a strange mix of like Uriah Heep meets Black Sabbath meets Metallica. Very psychedelic metal and their best release by far. I just got Healing Through Fire and it's good and better than their last few things, but its still has that high octane bar room rock band feel to it that they have come to symbolize. Other bands that walk the fine line are Solace and Devil to Pay.

My old band opened for Devil to Pay a couple of times when they came through town, man that is a band that is best live. Really powerful. Highly recommended. They just played SHoD last month, out of Indianapolis.

• Members

question:

does this qualify as Doom?

It's an original song called
"The Book of the Cult of the Infinite Within(Typhonian re-mix)"
:

I currently have it under my band Qlippothic, but I'm thinking it might go better with Goetic Circle...

what do you think?

I'd use it as an intro for something in Goetic Circle.

Archived