Electric Guitars: Rules and Discussion

The Eristic

• Members

Wow.

Sorry this turned into a pile-on, but I think it was a fair question to ask. It was asked, it was answered.

This can get to be a sticky situation, and likely will get to be one at some point because there HAS to be a line somewhere, and maybe we won't know where that line is until it's crossed. But once it is crossed, how can you come down on someone for a religious belief when a mod professes theirs every time they post?

I thought DC's line about sig links and screen names was right on - it's just bumper stickers in the employee parking lot. You're not going to agree with every one. But where is the line for offense?

Everything that is posted on here is 'opinion' (and that's a fact), so it has some potential to offend.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's no line?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Something I'd like to see made into a rule:

DO NOT REPOST PICTURES WHEN USING THE QUOTE FUNCTION!! I'm tired of scrolling through the same set of 15 pictures when someone just wants to put a god damn smiley face as a comment. Learn to edit your quotes! Only quote what you need to! It's been a growing problem and today I just got to the end of my rope. This is most common on the SPAM threads. It's already bothersome when someone posts 10 pictures of their guitar they're trying to sell, but its worse when someone quotes it and posts all those pictures again for no reason at all. I understand wanting to get all the angles, but just post a few and add "more pics upon request", or show a link to folder of pictures.

:mad::mad::mad:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Back on the 'religious' tip ...

Speaking as an EXTREMELY secular person of Jewish origins, I'm not intimidated, offended or threatened either by Fretsy's beliefs, or his statement of them -- partly because he's such a chilled-out, non-judgmental type (yeah, I know, flattery will [complete the quotation]) that I know that his views and mine can happily co-exist in the same universe, as well as the same forum.

This place is full of guys talking about how often they play in church and do the worship-music thing ... similarly, NOT A PROBLEM. I don't feel that they're suddenly gonna bust into a thrash version of Borat's Throw The Jew Down The Well and declare a pogrom. Hell, I'd feel more threatened if I liked John Mayer or played a snorkeldick PRS than i do as a Jewish secular humanist.

But what if I was a young Muslim guitarist, logged on here and found the place full of Christians? Would I feel threatened or excluded? No more than I do as me, and certainly less than young Muslims might feel in the non-virtual real-life Yurp or Murka. And if I was an even semi-literate young Muslim guitarist, I'd know that this was a US-based forum, that there are more Christians in the US than followers of any other faith, and I'd make allowances for those facts.

Be you Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Animist, Rasta, into Vodun, worship Nyarlathotep, Cthul'hu and the rest of the HP Lovecraft demonic pantheon or anything else ... you don't have to shut up to play your guitar, and talk about it here. Majorly down with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

As long as the forum does not simply favor the majority and allows me to put anti religious quotes and such in my sig, then no problem. As long as we're equal opportunity offenders it's all a wash. Personally, I don't think any of it has any place here. But it doesn't bother me as long as everyone can express their beliefs without reproach. I'll still vote for "keep it on topic, please."

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't get why people don't realize that there should be NO off-topic posts in this forum.

Someone who had nothing to do with guitar playing dies, so we get a thread about it? Sure, it's tragic, but this isn't a friggin' news forum!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members
I agree with you that we have to post related to particular category. But
are also somewhat related to Electric Guitar,than why you have not posted for Acoustic Guitars.

Jeanguitar

Here's another thing I've noticed. When people spam, they get banned and their thread is locked. Why don't mods also get rid of their spam links or just delete the thread altogether? Really no point in allowing spam links to stay active.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Advice for newbies - Not rulez, just advice.

Hello newbie :wave:

So for you to get the kind of thoughtful answer that you're hoping for, please do the following:

STFW that means Searc the F'in Web. Then to search this forum, use Google. Go to Google, click on advanced settings, then put "http://acapella.harmony-central.com" in the domain field. This works far better than the forum's own search engine. Yes, it works. No, it does not work well enough. We know. Please don't start a thread about it.

If your question is about the worth of an item when buying or selling check ebay and don't forget to check the completed auctions. Pretty good price barometer, right there.

Now that you've done some research, and are PREPARED to ask a question, try to give us enough info to answer it. Provide the make, model, condition, mods, pics if you can get them, etc.

--------------------

How to do stuff:

If you need/want to post pics do this:
Go to photobucket.com, and sign up for an account.
upload the pics from your computer to there.
Double click on the IMG field url and past it directly into your message. Use preview to ensure that it worked.

To post URLs (ya know links to other web sites {not sights}) click on the globe icon with the chain link on it. Paste your URL right in the box. Make sure the "http://" is blued out so your url overwrites it. If you click in the box before pasting your URL, the prepasted prefix will no longer be selected and you will post a link that looks like this "http://http://blahblahblah.com" which won't work. Again use preview and click on your link to see if it works before submitting.

To delete your post, click on edit in the post, then click on delete, then click on delete this post. PLEASE do this when you have problem posting and three or four of them show up in a row. No one but you is gonna clean up your posts. Please do.

To add an avatar, or change your sig, click on Quick Links at the top of each page.

To use the Buddy/Ignore list:
Click on Quick Links near the top of the page
Click on User Control Panel
Click on Buddy/Ignore lists on the left
Type the user name in the lower field
As you type, suggestions will appear
Click on each to select it
Click save list. Repeat as necessary.
----------------

There is a LOT of knowledge on this board. It's the biggest on the web. Thousands of people view HCEG (Electric Guitars) every single day. There's great players, great modders, and some real deal hounds on here.

Believe me, you want them to want to answer your question. Try not to piss them off. Most are nice people, and some are very funny.

As an introduction, post some info about yourself, how long you've been playing, what gear you have, where you're from, etc.

Try and fit in, don't be disrespectful, and you should find this a fun place.

Welcome!

PS Don't forget to play every day.

PPS STFU NOOB is a friendly salutation to newbies, so don't get PO'd.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't get why people don't realize that there should be NO off-topic posts in this forum.

Someone who had nothing to do with guitar playing dies, so we get a thread about it? Sure, it's tragic, but this isn't a friggin' news forum!

No, but even if it wasnt the intended purpose, this forum has actually become a comunity where regular people come to interact and discuss guitars, and granted, some off topic stuff slips through, but I for one, and I KNOW countless others feel the same way, actually consider alot of the people here personal friends, REAL friends, not just some cyber name and a meaningless avatar..... I have spoken to no less than at LEAST 20 people here on the phone, and PERSONALLY met one of the very people you are complaining about at a time of one of their darkest hours amidst one of the greatest personal tragedies anyone could immagine. If I thought someone was generally in need of anything I could help them with, Mojo, well wishes, just listening to their story, offering them encouragement, ANYTHING, then I dont give a RAT'S ASS :mad::mad: if doing so offends anyone. In fact, the kind of person that would be offended by something like that, or even complain about it, can kiss BOTH sides of my ASS, and my own heart would be personally warmed to its fullest, knowing that I was pissing someone like that off. All the reason to do it even MORE!! :thu: If the mods decide something is inappropriate, they can delete it or take appropriate action. There isnt ONE single word typed ANYWHERE in this forum that someone is forced to look at if they dont want to. Not to mention an entire thread that doesnt interest them. So dont open it. What kind of a person would actually even complain about such a thing? I dont want to know them. Even so, if that very person ended up on the other side of it and decided they could use a little friendship or guidence, or whatever, I would do the same for them too, even if, GOD FORBID, their problem was a little off topic.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Complaing about off topic mojo threads because one of our friends is grieving a death? Are you kidding?

I feel sorry for you.

Go find a nice sterile forum somewhere , where there arent actually REAL people on the other side of the wire.

There are probably too many real people here for your tastes. I know, because I have met them and talked to them. They are REAL.

Oh, and tell the mods I said hi when you go cry to them about this post.:rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived