Electric Guitars: Rules and Discussion

The Eristic

• Members

Is it okay to post your religious beliefs or anti-religious beliefs in your sig? Not exactly a thread so not really against the rules but doesn't it risk offending someone who has different beliefs?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Roy, this is what is listed in the Terms of Service that everyone agrees to when the register on this site. As long as what you put in your sig does not violate these rules, then it should be acceptable.

If you see a sig that you think crosses the line, then please report it to a mod or admin.

for the complete TOS:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/faq.php

The following is a partial list of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited on the Website. HC reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action in its sole discretion against anyone who violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending communication from the Service and terminating the membership of such violators. It includes, but is not limited to, Content that:

is patently offensive to the online community, such as Content that promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;

harasses or advocates harassment of another person;

promotes information that you know is false, misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;

That's kinda my point exactly. Putting religious views or anti-religious views in a sig is bound to be patently offensive to some people who believe otherwise.

Putting any view that disagrees with someone elses views can probably be seen as offensive to the person holding the opposing viewpoint but patently, I think applies the common sense view that everyone would or should be offended by it.

For instance, I would be offended by a racial slur regardless if it was directed at me or not.

I am not bashing atheists or other faiths. I am affirming my Christianity.

• Members

That's kinda my point exactly. Putting religious views or anti-religious views in a sig is bound to be patently offensive to some people who believe otherwise.

there's quite a big difference between putting religious views out there and putting ANTI religious views out there.

• Members

...but
patently
, I think applies the common sense view that everyone would or should be offended by it.

patently, by definition means obviously and I think you yourself have answered this question in the first part of this quote.

• Members

there's quite a big difference between putting religious views out there and putting ANTI religious views out there.

why?

being against religion is also a religious viewpoint.

• Members

Being an atheist is a religion, but being
against
religion is not a religion.

Never said it was. I'm afraid I'm missing your point.

My point is that it's inappropriate to post religious beliefs here.

• Members

I think it's inappropriate that you want to censor people for expressing their religious beliefs.

I was shocked that you asked your original question. I found it FAR more offensive than anybody's sig comments.

I think that you should accept that people other than you have religious beliefs, and me, mine.

I'll accept that if you put in your sig that you think it is all a crock, it's the price we pay for you and me to be free to express our religious beliefs.

Roy, if you can't see what's wrong with your question, you should study history. You've made the classic logical mistake of an Aethiest.

I don't believe in paying too much for a guitar, either.

• Members

This is ridiculous, do we have to forgo our basic freedoms to post on a web forum?

If you don't like someone's views or more specifically that those views are shared with others via their sig then simply use the 'ignore' function.

• Members

If you don't like someone's views or more specifically that those views are shared with others via their sig then simply use the 'ignore' function.

Again, I never said I disagreed with any religious views, and I don't like to use the ignore function. I think it's rude.

This is ridiculous, do we have to forgo our basic freedoms to post on a web forum?

Thank you for chiming in. You too DC, Adlo and Mike. I am struggling with this. Not because I see it as being against the TOS but because I felt very comfortable that I was not offending anyone by having a link in my sig that described my beliefs. Anymore than if I had a link to a cool bands myspace or a bicycling club.

Are we a culture that's becoming afraid of it's diversity rather than embracing it and realizing that we are made stronger not just by what makes us all the same.

I hired a young Indian man to work for my office. Pleasant and thoroughly modern. He speaks of going to temple once a week or so with his uncle. We talk about life in India and part of that life has to do with being Hindu.

Hell, I'd put a link to a cool Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist web site in my sig in a heartbeat.

I also feel that Christians and other religious folk are being censored and asked not to partake in the public discourse.

For my part, I don't proselytize but if anyone wants to share with me because they connected with my sig, I love it.

• Members

Putting any view that disagrees with someone elses views can probably be seen as offensive to the person holding the opposing viewpoint...

I thought calling the link 'my religious beliefs' was better than the current one.

• Members

Never said it was. I'm afraid I'm missing your point.

It's not inappropriate, if you are offended by others religions that just makes you intolerant.

You don't have to like thier ideals or their idealogy, but they have a right to express them. You are of course free to ignore them.

• Members

Putting any view that disagrees with someone elses views can probably be seen as offensive to the person holding the opposing viewpoint

As I've said before, some people are very passionate about their beliefs. Because of this, wouldn't it be best to avoid posting religious views here entirely for risk of offending others? If anyone was posting anti-religious beliefs I would think it would be just as potentially offensive, make that obviously offensive seeing as how the mere idea of even disagreeing to a Christian belief has you all very upset. There are obviously many people in this world who do not agree with Christian beliefs so I have to believe that they would be just as upset as you folk. I have no problem with anyone expressing their beliefs, I only question if this is an appropriate forum to do so.

• Members

i don't know how i can make it any clearer than my OP.

judging by your reply i can only assume you didn't understand my OP.

That is correct, I didn't understand it. A religious viewpoint and a religion are not the same thing so I don't know what you are responding to.

• Members

As I've said before, some people are very passionate about their beliefs. Because of this, wouldn't it be best to avoid posting religious views here entirely for risk of offending others? If anyone was posting anti-religious beliefs I would think it would be just as potentially offensive, make that obviously offensive seeing as how the mere idea of even disagreeing to a Christian belief has you all very upset.

Who disagreed with a Christian belief, let me at em! No really, how did we get on Christianity? Who made the issue Christianity? I thought we were still discussing a hypothetical denom here. Nobody that I've seen.

I think your question says a lot about you. It sets your position. But regardless of your position, you were willing to ask the question and debate it. No flags went off in your head, about how this might be construed as insulting to the people who do have religious statements in their sigs.

It's almost the same as the no prayer in school issue. I didn't like that one either, but...

you drive past a church, does it offend you?

you read In God We Trust on your money, does it offend you?

Honestly dude, this is like trying to legislate bumper stickers in the company parking lot.

I think the question has been answered, and the suggestion to ignore or not read it, a practical solution.

• Members

Is it okay to post your religious beliefs or anti-religious beliefs in your sig? Not exactly a thread so not really against the rules but doesn't it risk offending someone who has different beliefs?

... has indeed been answered as both Mazi and Frets feel this is an appropriate forum to promote religious beliefs even though it will probably offend others. I personally think it would definitely offend others as this debate has clearly shown how strongly people feel about their beliefs.

Archived