The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Members

I just bought a Yamaha AE-1200S III, and I wanted to find out more about it. I was impressed with some of the big box Yamahas I've seen on this forum, so I decided to buy one.

Has anyone played or have a AE-1200S, AE-1200S II or AE-1200S III? If so, how does AE-1200S III compare with the AE-1200S or AE-1200S II?

I also have a Yamaha SA2200; it's one of the best guitars I've ever had.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hello Tonefiend.

I have an AE2000 which is a superb guitar, and a mystery AE1200, which is pretty good too, but I prefer the feel of the 2000. But this can be related to a lot of the setup, so I can't say for sure which is better. The "mystery" part of the guitar is that the truss rod cover is labeled "AE1200S". This guitar should have a carved top (I think), but has actually a laminated one. The sticker on the inside if the f hole labels it as only "AE1200", and the back of the pickups says "AE1200S II"... my guess is that it is the latter. I haven't really compared the tones of the two because of the different setup (frets on the 1200 are very low, may already need a refretting) and because I'm keeping the 2000 with flats and the 1200 with rounds.

Can you check if it has a carved or laminated top?

Also, this community is known to be very fond of pictures... wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guedzilla

View Post

I think I messed up with the terms. I meant carved top (2000) vs arched top (1200). I think they're all solid spruce top (S, SII, SIII). smile.gif

Being that my 1200 might then be the exception. Is there a way to tell without taking the guitar apart?

Check the f hole, if it's not bound the laminate layers can sometimes be seen there

• Members

I restrung the AE-1200S III last night since it had some really big strings on it, and I took off off the pickups and it appears that the top is laminated. Also, the pickups say AE-1200S II. Overall, the guitar is in near-mint condition. The only wear I could find was some very minor fret wear (given the guitar's age, it is barely noticeable) and a few minor dings on the top; otherwise, it looks like a new guitar. It came with the original Yamaha case, which is also in great condition.

I played it through my hot-rodded Bogner Goldfinger 45 half stack and it sounds awesome on both channels. I cranked the crap out in the Loud 69 channel and didn't get much feedback - unless I was purposely trying to get some by holding the guitar in front of the speakers. I'm impressed. It has a really nice vibe with full chords and ringing out. Also, when using the push-push split coil buttons, it put out a decent acoustic sound.

I can't compare different version of the AE-1200 or AE2000, but compared to my SA2200, it's very similar in quality. It looks like larger cousin of it. It also feels really nice playing and sound pretty good acoustically too. If the AE-2000 is nicer than the AE-1200s, then sign me up for one of those too because this guitar is killer.

Here are some so-so iPhone photos:

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

Here's a few photos of my SA2200:

SA22004.jpg

SA22001.jpg

• Members

Drooling over your SA2200 here biggrin.gif

That's one I have yet to get...

Again, congratulations on your new guitar, it's stunning!

I wouldn't say the 2000 is better or worse than the others, I think it all depends on what and where you play. Some jazz purists will probably (possibly, actually) say they prefer a carved top for it's acoustic tone blah blah... plugged in they don't sound that different, and wouldn't sound any different with the same setup and strings, probably. And the carved top renders the guitar less feedback resistant, so that's a thing too... no loud gigs.

Have you strung yours with flatwounds?

• Members

No. I've never bought or used flatwound strings, but it sounds like I need to try some. What would you recommend?

The only thing I had last night was some DR Pure Blues 10-46 and it sounds great. I also use them on my SA2200.

Speaking of SA2200 (SA2100, SA2000) are great guitars. I would highly recommend you try one if you like the 335ish vibe. That's how I got into Yamahas; I was looking for a 335, but tried a bunch of Gibsons and wasn't impressed with the build quality. Price was not a factor in my buying decision (I wanted what I wanted and was willing to save if need be), so I did a bunch of research and was set to purchase a new Collings i35-LC. They cost around 4k, so before buying one, I drove to San Jose and tested one. The quality was top notch, but didn't like how thick the neck felt and overall just didn't bond with it.

The SA2200 was next on my list, so I looked around for a while and found one online and bought it sight unseen. UPS lost my guitar at first and sent it to New York instead of California (long story), but I eventually got it and love it.

• Members

I like heavy strings... my standard set is 11-something rounds. For the AE I bough 12s rounds because I think they handle heavy strings better, but as soon as I tried to play something more jazzy I realized I'd rather use flatwounds. I had tried them earlier on my samick 335-ish and liked it a bit, but it didn't fit the sound I was playing then. It would be best if you could try on some guitar before buying and changing/setting your guitar up for the flats.. they play and sound quite different.

I am crazy on getting a 2200 but they are very hard to track down here in Brazil. I think I never actually saw one for sale... only a 2000 and a 2100. The 2000 is already gone and the 2100 is a bit high priced, and located on the very northwest corner of the country. The conditions of the sale are a bit rough.

Is yours a new model or an oldie? I think they are still making the 2200, is that right?

• Members

The SA2200 in the photo above is a 2008 and I have another one that is a 2007. Yamaha SA2200's are hard to track down here too, but they pop up on eBay now and again. Of all the guitars I own, it's my favorite.

I'll keep my eyes out for you and let's you know when I see one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tonefiend33

View Post

No. I've never bought or used flatwound strings, but it sounds like I need to try some. What would you recommend?

You have to try them. Once. smile.gif

I don't like flatwounds at all. They last for ages by sounding dead from day one. I tried Thomastiks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guedzilla

View Post

Oh thanks, but the real problem with buying on Ebay is the shipping cost and the taxing over here. It's ridiculous. The taxing can go up to 100% of the whole value... frown.gif

That is ridiculous! Guitars should be tax free. smile.gif Seriously thou, that's too much and discourages spending/purchases. You'd have really love a guitars to pay twice its value. SA2200's sell for around $1300-1800.

• Members

SA2200's and AES1500's are no longer sold in the US, but I'm not too sure if they make them anymore or sell them in other countries. Before I bought mine used last year, I called Yamaha to get a new one, and they told me they do not make them anymore. It's strange as they still have them on their USA website: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...00/?mode=model

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tonefiend33

View Post

How can someone in the U.S. (or anywhere that doesn't have it in the catalog) buy/order a new one and have it sent here?

The internet? There are people who sell overseas from here as well as Yahoo Japan and the agencies that place bids on line for people outside Japan.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zenbu

View Post

The internet? There are people who sell overseas from here as well as Yahoo Japan and the agencies that place bids on line for people outside Japan.

I should have rephrased the question. What companies/websites specifically sell new Yamaha guitars that are no longer available for purchase in the U.S. (like SA2200, AES15000, etc.?

I found some references to Ishibashi, but wasn't sure if there's a specific company that others members use/d and prefer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wader2k

View Post

Not online......

Yes it's online, but there are no direct links to Guitar Center's used guitars. To find it, you have to visit: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

and search for: Yamaha SA2200

I just searched for it and it shows it being still available. There's one small photo and the store contact information. You cannot purchase stuff online with used gear; you have to call the store during regular business hours and make the purchase over the phone.

So, if anyone is interested in a Yamaha SA2200 for $1,499, call Guitar Center, Bakersfield, California 93309 at 661-396-3838.

Note: I don't work for Guitar Center. I just noticed it being available, love my SA2200, and wanted to share with other Yamaholics that it was available. Best of luck.

Archived