The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jkater

View Post

Sounds like a good move. THe others do the SG thing and the 2000 being more famous bring more cash. thumb.gif

Thanks, man. I think I was hoping for some support for this, so thanks!

Whenever I sell a guitar I worry that it was a mistake. You know how it goes: someone starts an "appreciation" thread and my comment is usually "Yeah, I used to have one of those, but I sold it."

But considering it's been three days and I have felt no pangs of regret I think I'll be ok. Plus I just got new winter tires, a new hot water tank, and a new front door! Amazing how much money I put into guitars....

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Moot

View Post

Thanks, man. I think I was hoping for some support for this, so thanks!

Whenever I sell a guitar I worry that it was a mistake. You know how it goes: someone starts an "appreciation" thread and my comment is usually "Yeah, I used to have one of those, but I sold it."

But considering it's been three days and I have felt no pangs of regret I think I'll be ok. Plus I just got new winter tires, a new hot water tank, and a new front door! Amazing how much money I put into guitars....

I'm curious about the SG1500. That must be a great guitar. Is it also a neck-thru?

• Members

View Post

I'm curious about the SG1500. That must be a great guitar. Is it also a neck-thru?

As I understand it the 1500's were Japan-only releases, but there were a lot of variations of it. Some have maple tops, some don't, some have the push-push pots, others don't, some had the 2000's neck inlays, some didn't.

The neck on mine is 3-piece, mahogany-maple-mahogany, but only the centre maple piece goes the whole length of the guitar; the mahogany pieces end at the heel. But not every 1500 has this. Some had the 2000's neck, but no maple cap on the body so you can see it run right through like a Carvin. Those I've only ever seen in a very cool transparent green.

Mine also came with dot inlays on the neck, and silver hardware! Just like the 2000's, the 1500 has the 10-ounce brass block, but it's all chromed, not gold-plated like most (all, maybe?) N. American releases. Ebony fretboard.

DSC06403.jpg

DSC06404.jpg

DSC06405.jpg

DSC06433.jpg

DSC06429.jpg

• Members

View Post

As I understand it the 1500's were Japan-only releases, but there were a lot of variations of it. Some have maple tops, some don't, some have the push-push pots, others don't, some had the 2000's neck inlays, some didn't.

The neck on mine is 3-piece, mahogany-maple-mahogany, but only the centre maple piece goes the whole length of the guitar; the mahogany pieces end at the heel. But not every 1500 has this. Some had the 2000's neck, but no maple cap on the body so you can see it run right through like a Carvin. Those I've only ever seen in a very cool transparent green.

Mine also came with dot inlays on the neck, and silver hardware! Just like the 2000's, the 1500 has the 10-ounce brass block, but it's all chromed, not gold-plated like most (all, maybe?) N. American releases. Ebony fretboard.

DSC06403.jpg

DSC06404.jpg

DSC06405.jpg

DSC06433.jpg

DSC06429.jpg

Fantastic!

Is it really that the maple is a single piece that runs through the body? That would seem to be the most difficult way of constructing a guitar imaginable. Half neck through, half set neck.

Wow!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed

View Post

Fantastic!

Is it really that the maple is a single piece that runs through the body? That would seem to be the most difficult way of constructing a guitar imaginable. Half neck through, half set neck.

Wow!

I was thinking the same thing. But I wouldn't put it beyond Yamaha to be able to do such thing. I just don't understand the point of doing it that way, though. In any case, this is a unique SG. Wow.

• Members

When I bought it I assumed it was a set-neck, but, under enough light, you can see through the finish. There are obvious joins for the mahogany parts, but the maple is continuous. I'm still impressed! I'll see if I can photograph it.

I assumed that was why Yamaha switched to the SG-2000's full neck-through design - it would have been easier to make. Maybe tougher?

• Members

View Post

When I bought it I assumed it was a set-neck, but, under enough light, you can see through the finish. There are obvious joins for the mahogany parts, but the maple is continuous. I'm still impressed! I'll see if I can photograph it.

I assumed that was why Yamaha switched to the SG-2000's full neck-through design - it would have been easier to make. Maybe tougher?

Nothing wrong with a normal set neck on a guitar like this!

Moot, one way to know would be to remove the neck pup and look in the cavity to see if there's a normal tenon there. Also of note is that the 1500 had the same "T-cross" section on the body as the 2000, hence the maple strip in the middle regardless of the type of neck joint. That guitar is very special. You're a lucky guy! thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've got a mystery on my hands. I just picked up what appears to be an AES-820 off of Craigslist for $100. It's in really rough shape...spray painted body...wrong electronics....I'm going to redo the whole thing. Here's the weird thing. It's definitely an AES-820 neck as the headstock has the weird Sperzel locking tuners, but the model # on the back of the headstock says AES-825. The fret markers are also large rectangles and none of the 820's I know of have fret markings.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by XelderX

View Post

I've got a mystery on my hands. I just picked up what appears to be an AES-820 off of Craigslist for $100. It's in really rough shape...spray painted body...wrong electronics....I'm going to redo the whole thing. Here's the weird thing. It's definitely an AES-820 neck as the headstock has the weird Sperzel locking tuners, but the model # on the back of the headstock says AES-825. The fret markers are also large rectangles and none of the 820's I know of have fret markings.

Here is the back of the headstock.

aes-825.jpg

I've got an email in to Yamaha about it. Hoping they can figure it out.

• Members

View Post

Here is the back of the headstock.

aes-825.jpg

I've got an email in to Yamaha about it. Hoping they can figure it out.

Odd. Typical Yamaha though. I am sure I have seen an AES with bird inlays, but don't know if it was an 820 or a 920.

• Members

I spoke with Yamaha and they confirmed there has never been an AES-825. I figured that after taking a closer look at the rest of the guitar and the neck. It's definitely an 820. Someone for reasons unknown spray painted the body and changed the model # sticker on the neck. They did such a crappy job spraying the rest of the guitar that the clearcoat job over the replaced stickers on the head stock looked good enough to be factory that I couldn't believe it wasn't. We are playing around with what to do with the guitar. I've got the body mostly striped and it looks kind of cool like that. We'll see. Probably going to put P90s in it just for fun.

• Members

Here is the new finish for the $100 Aes-820. We just sanded it down at got some really cool changes in color/finish. Some spots are bare wood, but the different layers of paint coming through look amazing. There is quite a bit of metal flake that makes it pop. My friend who is doing the work said it looks like an old car that has been sitting outside. Having a set of P90s custom wound for it and going to "relic" all the hardware.

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

• Members

View Post

Here is the new finish for the $100 Aes-820. We just sanded it down at got some really cool changes in color/finish. Some spots are bare wood, but the different layers of paint coming through look amazing. There is quite a bit of metal flake that makes it pop. My friend who is doing the work said it looks like an old car that has been sitting outside. Having a set of P90s custom wound for it and going to "relic" all the hardware.

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

wow! Cool!!!!!!

You know that a 820 is a great guitar. Those special Sperzel are an amazing feature. That's a keeper. I would invest top hardware /electronics/pups on this and not look at the cost.

You should start a thread with this project.

• Members

View Post

wow! Cool!!!!!!

You know that a 820 is a great guitar. Those special Sperzel are an amazing feature. That's a keeper. I would invest top hardware /electronics/pups on this and not look at the cost.

You should start a thread with this project.

Don't worry. I'm a bit of a tone snob and so is my friend who is helping to rebuild it. Everything needed to make it sound good will be top notch. We are getting a set of P94s custom built to a certain ohm rating and magnet that will hopefully compliment the alder body.

I will start a build thread as soon as I get a few more pieces together. I hate starting a thread and then not updating for a month or so.

• Members

View Post

Don't worry. I'm a bit of a tone snob and so is my friend who is helping to rebuild it. Everything needed to make it sound good will be top notch. We are getting a set of P94s custom built to a certain ohm rating and magnet that will hopefully compliment the alder body.

I will start a build thread as soon as I get a few more pieces together. I hate starting a thread and then not updating for a month or so.

Please, PM me when you start the thread. I'm not here much anymore and I might miss it.

Archived