The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I have what I suspect is the same run of your guitar - early 2000's, right?
I'd say the price is on the higher side of fair, but still a good price considering how much they cost new at the time ($2200 or so.)
I have an SBG2000, SG1500, and the SBG1000, and the 1000 is my favourite of the bunch, especially in terms of fit and finish, and playability. Easily one of the best guitars I've ever played, and I'm 43 now.

I would say go for it! You'll get a guitar as well built as anything available on the market.
If you don't end up liking it you can always re-sell it to me!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

aliensporebomb wrote:

So - is $1395 a good price for an SBG1000 in minty unplayed condition with hardcase?  Cherryburst plaintop.  Gold hardware is perfect.  Binding is perfect.  Action is perfect.  Weight is very good (less than my Ibanez Artist by a good couple of pounds).  

How much is a run of the mill LP standard new (which is the same as unplayed mint condition)? Then compare the two and you'll jump on that SG1000! Prices are often dictated by buying public's tendency to want something regardless of what they actually get. If you want a great guitar that you won't feel the need to ever flip, this is a no brainer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hi here we are i want to say fab forum thread for yamaha. i have a sf 500 about 1978 was in good condition until somedrunk swung it around i the back garden and yes youve guessed it let it go. broke the volume knob pick up switch scatch ed the body in several places hey not too bad until looked closly the neck was cracked  i hope to put pictures on here not sure if it will work though.

all pics from camera 255 - Copy.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just became a Yamaholic.

I've been a guitar wheeler/dealer for a few years.  At least 100 guitars have cycled through my hands over the last few years, maybe closing in on 200 now.

I had a PAC120S, loved the sound...but sold it to get cash for a Westone I wanted that was more "collectible".  Then I got an SE250 for pretty cheap, but the trem didn't stay in tune.  Sounded great, tho.  But I sold it cuz of the trem.

Then I stumbled across a pretty PAC 402S that I sold to raise money for a USA Hamer that I wanted.  But it had great tone, too.

So I've been waiting/watching for another 402S to come up on eBay...waited...waited...waited...waited.

The numbering system was not clear to me, except that the higher the leading digit, the better quality the guitar.

Picked up a Yamaha RGZ 211M for $70 at a pawn shop.  Was impressed with the tone and playability off of a 200-series guitar.

Based on that, I started watching for other Yamahas on eBay and Guitar Center.

Then about 2 months ago, I saw an RGX 1212 for under $500 shipped.  I jumped on it.  Bid on several other high end Yamahas, but ended up getting a PAC 1221 for $380 shipped.  And an RGX 612 for $210 shipped (but found out after it arrived that it was missing saddled).  Saw an SSC 500 on Guitar Center for $300 and grabbed it.  Then went back to the same pawn shop and talked them down on an RGX 402S-D6 from $399 down to $150.  Finally, I grabbed a PAC 821S body only from eBay for $125 shipped, and then an email to the seller found out he had the neck, too...so talked him into selling me that for $100 shipped, and it plays/sounds perfect after re-uniting the parts.

So now I'm a total convert.

These are amazing playing and sounding guitars.

I've sold several of my decent (and excellent for the price I paid for them) Westones to cover the cost of the Yamahas.

But as I've been playing them...wow!...I'm thinking about selling even my USA Hamers and Westone X390 Panteras.  The 1212, 1221, and 812 are *that* good.  They are *that* much fun to play.

Just completely totally awesome guitars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

PICT0367.JPGPICT0384.JPGNAD !!

Being an extreme fan of the Yamaha natural sound/flexion speaker, I just got my hands on a vintage PA system, consisting of the VM-100 mixer/preamp and two VS-60 speakers with built in transistor amp.

Specs:

VM-100

Front:

6 channel mixer with hi/lo inputs for mic and/or instruments.

Each channel have a switch for internal reverb or external echo unit,

reverb volume, volume, bass, middle, treble.

internal lights illuminate the Plexiglas front.

Rear:

6 hi and 6 lo inputs, speaker outputs for up to 4 VS-60 speakers, power switch and fuse, main volume, balance, signal out jack, howling suppressor in/out, echo chamber in/out

VS-60

two Yamaha JA 4001 8ohm , 30watt natural sound speakers and a 60 watt transistor main amp of the push/pull type, basically the same unit used in the TA-60 and TA-120 guitar amps.

PICT0374.JPGPICT0366.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yamaha SR-450S. Made in 1983 in a single copy with metallic red color and rosewood fretboard :)

Wonderful replica of Fender 70s. The body of a single piece of ash, neck from a single piece of maple. A little worn frets and there is a small scuff on the body. But it sounds awesome!

QLYr-5Rvrj0.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi,

What's the lowdown on the double strap buttons on the back of this beauty, and what's the deal with the back 1/4" socket: is there a special plug for this angled input or is a standard jack the order of the day, with the guitar on a stand please?

Yamaha AES620.jpg

Thanks

• Members

The double strap buttons are a puzzle for me too.

First I thought they were mounted for extra safety if using two buttons, but no, if both are used on the same strap, then the jack plug is covered and the guitar is useless as an electric guitar.

Then it hit me that the two buttons could lift the guitar body off the groung when standing up, but its not so, the bottom of the body can rock a little bit from side to side before any of the buttons actually gets to touch.

Actually I can find no reason for the second button, and dont use it at all.

The plug is almost center in the bottom of the guitar body slanting upwards, this is actually a good idea since the plug won't touch or bend when you sit down and play. The plug to use is just a standard straight jack.

best regards

Peter

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members
FINALLY !!

After years of searching, I finally found an Yamaha GX-1 (guitar) in great condition with original hardcase.

Congrats!

For 30 years, I've owned one of the bass equivalents of your GX-1, the BX-1 four string bass.

Its hardshell case is exactly like yours.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_TFX7_tRIMTb1pfHnb1U4Srp-qXjTSCluFW2i9xNXtez4rh5t

• Members

Congrats!

For 30 years, I've owned one of the bass equivalents of your GX-1, the BX-1 four string bass.

Its hardshell case is exactly like yours.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_TFX7_tRIMTb1pfHnb1U4Srp-qXjTSCluFW2i9xNXtez4rh5t

NICE , now I'm actually looking for one of these too.

It would be SO COOL to have both the GX-1 guitar and the BX-1 bass.

Best Regards

Peter

• Members
Welcome to Moes,, I will/would like go along for the journey, Inclosed is a picture of my first and second one. I have a few more on the way, I will post those up later when they arrive.

The first, 2000 Yamaha SBV 500

066_zps189d2164.jpg

Oooohhh YEAH, that's an übercool bass !

Best Regards

Peter

Archived