OT: Motorcycles, need help from bikers

twosticks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:facepalm:
Bring your bike down to Western NC and I'll give you a tour of the tail of the dragon to see what you've learned in the class room and what minimal safety tactics they try to teach, safety and knowledge in handling a motorcycle comes from miles and miles under one's belt,not some class room,same principle when it comes to drums,practice,practice.

I agree with your ideas. I haven't ridden in a while but the course I took was a multi week (I think like 5 week) pretty intensive course that focused on how not to get killed on a bike rather than how to pass your motorcycle license road test. If his course was only a weekend thing then there is no way he learned all you need to know just so you can be aware of how to practice.

I remember one of the first things they told us...it's not IF your going to fall, its WHEN your going to fall.

I really didn't know how much I didn't know about riding bikes until I took that course. Things like you mentioned....always shifting your head in corners...looking at the spot you want to go WAY ahead of you....setting your speed before entering the corner...etc.....they would shove the {censored} out of you as you rode by to see how you handled a surprise...jump on the back of your bike as you came by at slower speeds..It was really fun actually.

• Members

I was just in Milwaukee for the week, and saw a few Burgmans zippin' around. Remember, that's THE H-D city, and this is the 105th anniversary rally (tens-of thousands of H-D riders taking over the city).
If a Burgman can handle that environment, it's gotta be OK.

Soundcreation, congrats on the course and looking for a bike. I hope to be there someday myself.

• Members

Harley is trying to sound like Honda? I dont think so.

And yes, it is a lifestyle regardless of what brand you ride.

No, I'm saying that HD is pushing for quieter bikes and so on - in other words, trying to sound more like honda, etc...have you heard new HD's? They're quieter than most new cars.

Of course, only HD is offering aftermarket parts that still pass emissions...but are still quiet.

As for the lifestyle, I don't get into that. I guess if you bought a bike to be a biker, and soak up everything you can to try and be a "biker" in what society portrays bikes to be, then that's what you do, but, for me, I enjoy riding when I feel up to it, but, I don't try and be anything more than what I am...it's not like buying a bike was some sort of buy-in to a club...

• Members

Your honda will not sound like a harley unless it is a 45 degree twin, both jugs run on the same crank-pin, and the older ones had 1 coil and fired both jugs at the same time. These are what made the sound unique.

HD hasn't had consistent spec's...

I've got a single pin crank. If I knock the idle low enough (or the engine cold enough), and it sounds exactly like a HD. Of course, at that low of an idle, the oil pressure isn't high enough...

Here's a video I shot after I installed my pipes. The lope is there...not "OMG it's a Harley" level, but it's there enough that one could logically conclude that if i had dropped the idle low enough that it would do it.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z164/jenksdrummer/?action=view&current=quickbikeclip.flv

• Members

I don't care if someone repeats what I learned in the class, it helps reinforce it. Again thanks to all for your advice! I just mostly want to ride with my wife, to work and back and save on gas. I'm not looking for a sport bike, I don't care about top speed or smoking the tires.

I guess a cruiser like my wife's Kawaski 500 Vulcan. Do they make 400cc cruisers? I don't want to lay on anything or have my ass in the air. I just want to cruise. I saw a map of the Dragon's Tail at the shop where we did or first classroom session. I want the bunny hop and slow curves and nice straight aways for now.

I probally would have not wanted a bike if my wife had not gotten hers. Seems that while I was always growing up drooling over drums, she was drooling over bikes when she was younger and had to make do with crappy hands me downs that didn't last. We got certified on scuba together because that's what I thought would be fun for us to do together and it is. I also get a lot stuff for my drums. It was time for her to pick somthing she really wanted to do. It makes her happy since we have been doing it together (I know, like duh, you have to be together to do IT)LOL.

Right now I just have good respectful fear of the bike, not timid or scared. Much like I had of driving a car when I was 16. It's like drums though, I want to practice more, but just like I don't care about double bass at 180bpm, I don't want to race any motorcycles either.

So I will start looking for anything from a 250-600cc and test drive or at least sit on as many as I can. And when it's right, that's what I'll get. But I will start with the choices some of you have offered here. Thanks again guys. ANY tips or commets are always welcome to me! :thu:

• Members

Well you've all seen my ride before...a 2000 Fatboy with 115,000 miles on her and still going strong...

DSCN3009.jpg

But check out a few of these as well...

The VStars (Yamaha)
http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/21/0/specs.aspx

The Honda Shadows...

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/cruiser_standard/model.asp?ModelName=Shadow+Spirit+750+%28VT750C2%29&ModelYear=2008&ModelId=VT750C28

All the Kawasaki cruisers..

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/SubCategory.aspx?id=7

Keep in mind Stix...power in reserve...not to spin the tires, but to get the hell out of the way, or climb that hill effectively. Don't cut yourself short in the long run...play on words I think...:rolleyes:

• Members

HD hasn't had consistent spec's...

I've got a single pin crank. If I knock the idle low enough (or the engine cold enough), and it sounds exactly like a HD. Of course, at that low of an idle, the oil pressure isn't high enough...

Here's a video I shot after I installed my pipes. The lope is there...not "OMG it's a Harley" level, but it's there enough that one could logically conclude that if i had dropped the idle low enough that it would do it.

Yep, I concede.

• Members

My '06 HD Street Bob. I also have a Ducati 749 Dark. I'm to old to spend a lot of time on the Duc... Brutal on the old wrists!
Of course, I'd like to have a garage-full of different bikes!
Find something that fits you and your riding style. Don't worry about brand, just shop around and sit on as many as you can. Don't be afraid of a little extra displacement especially in a cruiser.
Good luck!

08_WVA_0258_CCir.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

I don't care if someone repeats what I learned in the class, it helps reinforce it. Again thanks to all for your advice! I just mostly want to ride with my wife, to work and back and save on gas. I'm not looking for a sport bike, I don't care about top speed or smoking the tires.

I guess a cruiser like my wife's Kawaski 500 Vulcan. Do they make 400cc cruisers? I don't want to lay on anything or have my ass in the air. I just want to cruise. I saw a map of the Dragon's Tail at the shop where we did or first classroom session. I want the bunny hop and slow curves and nice straight aways for now.

I probally would have not wanted a bike if my wife had not gotten hers. Seems that while I was always growing up drooling over drums, she was drooling over bikes when she was younger and had to make do with crappy hands me downs that didn't last. We got certified on scuba together because that's what I thought would be fun for us to do together and it is. I also get a lot stuff for my drums. It was time for her to pick somthing she really wanted to do. It makes her happy since we have been doing it together (I know, like duh, you have to be together to do IT)LOL.

Right now I just have good respectful fear of the bike, not timid or scared. Much like I had of driving a car when I was 16. It's like drums though, I want to practice more, but just like I don't care about double bass at 180bpm, I don't want to race any motorcycles either.

So I will start looking for anything from a 250-600cc and test drive or at least sit on as many as I can. And when it's right, that's what I'll get. But I will start with the choices some of you have offered here. Thanks again guys. ANY tips or commets are always welcome to me!
:thu:

Bikes are like firearms. In the wrong hands, someone can get killed. The only difference, is that it's usually the user.

That said, with crusiers, engine size has a different meaning than with sport bikes.

A crusier, I would start with at LEAST 600cc...like the Yamaha V-star. The only bugger on those is the oil filter is located behind the exhaust, so it's a PITA to change. I'm not sure if the 1100 or 1300 is the same way.

Honestly, if you're just getting your feet wet - find a used Kawasaki Ninja 250. Granted, it's a crotch rocket, but it'll get you some experience under your belt, and as long as you stick with backroads, the lower-end performance shouldn't bother you too much. Sell it when you want to move up and not lose anything, or very little if you damage it...

I went with a 1300 for my first bike. I debated between it (Honda VTX 1300), a VTX 1800, a Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan, and a Honda Sabre 750.

The Vulcan is HUGE (chassis) by comparison - too big, 1800 was top-heavy by comparison, and the 750 I felt I was going to outgrow too quickly. So, I have my 1300. Now, after having it two years, I've "outgrown" it, but hell, there's not much bigger in the way of bikes. I've considered trading it for a Kawasaki 1600 Nomad...might do it if the pipe-laws kick in.

Oh, and why not Harley? I looked. First, my budget was 10K. Only thing HD offered was the 883 Sportster - a great classic bike in it's own right...but a VERY stripped down basic model...it was like sitting on a bleacher sideways, no real room for a passenger, and accessories, like the bikes, were fairly high-priced. Sales guys couldn't care less if they sold the bike to me, they figure if I don't buy it, someone else will...losers. Same with one Honda dealership, they didn't want to sell the bike I guess....Another dealer did seem to care, so I bought my bike there. Kawasaki dealership was being hardasses, plus the bike I was checking out I knew was too big, and they knew it too...

• Members
Man....show us the DUC! I LOVE the 748's and 749's...I hear they are a pretty firm ride though...

Here you go... I haven't had a chance to do any nice pics yet. Summertime in FL makes it tough. Too many thunderstorms and way hot. The bike is an absolute rocket ship. It is all about performance. Aggressive seating position, low bars and the exhaust does a nice rotisserie job on your legs!
That said, it is FUN!!!

08_update_1723.jpg

• Members

The rider rearsets are the ones that kind of cover the swingarm in the pic. The passenger pegs are high up under the passenger seat. (top of the rear tire in pic)

Riding these bikes is like a jockey on a race horse. Feet are up and behind you and you lean fwd on the tank.

• Members

The rider rearsets are the ones that kind of cover the swingarm in the pic. The passenger pegs are high up under the passenger seat. (top of the rear tire in pic)

Riding these bikes is like a jockey on a race horse. Feet are up and behind you and you lean fwd on the tank.

Or you just pretend you're Superman.

• Members
sweet thread.

I just signed up for my m/c instructional course on sep. 9 and 10 and am super-excited. My mom just got a Shadow 750 that she'll let me practice on before I buy my own (probably next spring).
:)

Sounds great Smacker! They told us to have jeans, boots that covered the ankles, long sleeved shirt, some kind of full fingered gloves ( I used my diving gloves) and some type of eye protection. I wore an old sweatshirt, I would reccomend something lighter. The sweatshirt got to be too hot during this time of year.

Get ready to be kinda good nervous like when you learned to drive a car. Our instructors were really encouraging, treated us like adults, stopped us when we were doing stupid but took the time to help us out! It was really just a very good "hands on" course. THey basically show you what they want you to do, watch you do it and give you pointers, let you do it again and work with you on any rough spots. It's really like Driver's Ed with attitude! Biggest thing is you really learn the primal things about riding: Safety, Seeing and being seen

If you're taking yours in two days, also get ready for about at least 5 hours each day riding. Which felt like playing two drumming gigs each day by the time we were done. In a nutshell, just be well rested and pay attention, otherwise is very fun and exciting! Good luck dude and let us know how it goes!! :thu:

Archived