OT: Motorcycles, need help from bikers

twosticks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Thanks a lot twosticks. Yeah, I just bought some boots today, but don't think I"ll ever wear them outside of the course! Haha. But anyway, I am looking forward to it; thanks for the encouragment. cheers,

Jesse

I wear boots for my job and that's what I used during my course. But now I think I will buy and use at least hiking boots when I ride. The biggest thing with me is I would like at least minimal protection. Meaning the last thing I want is a bad ankle/leg, hand or arm to where I can't play drums.

I guess is why I never seriously thought about riding before, I never wanted to put my hands and feet where they might be damaged. In the back of my mind, I never wanted to be where I would have to ask: Doc, will I ever play the drums again?? LOL :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The course rocked. After riding my mom's bike a few times, I've immediately started shopping for my own, even if it is approaching the end of the riding season here in South Dakota.

Test drove a Suzuki Marauder 800 today. Really liked it (more than the Shadow 750), but the guy was asking too much. Test driving another one tomorrow or the next day.

• Members
The course rocked. After riding my mom's bike a few times, I've immediately started shopping for my own, even if it is approaching the end of the riding season here in South Dakota.

Test drove a Suzuki Marauder 800 today. Really liked it (more than the Shadow 750), but the guy was asking too much. Test driving another one tomorrow or the next day.

Glad to hear it! Was your course kinda the same for you? ENd of season could mean some good deals! I may have to wait a little and save up some more before I buy. We've had to buy a bunch of extra crap here for the house. Plus I'm still not really sure what I want. Right now I'm kinda thinking something close to my wife's Kaw. 500. Not too big and not too light for a newbie. Good luck dude and glad to hear you had fun with the course!:thu:

• Members

Hey Carm. How's it goin? The bike is a little harder to get to turn sharp especially at slow speed with the 38 degree rake. The 240 rear tire doesn't help ether. You get used to it though and get to the point where you can handle it anywhere, just have to respect the beast. But really it's not all that bad. Now at high speed pointed straight it is as stable as can be. Not a canyon crasher at all. In fact that's where I laid it down in the mountains. Hit a patch of sand hiding in the shadows.

• Members

Hey Carm. How's it goin? The bike is a little harder to get to turn sharp especially at slow speed with the 38 degree rake. The 240 rear tire doesn't help ether. You get used to it though and get to the point where you can handle it anywhere, just have to respect the beast. But really it's not all that bad. Now at high speed pointed straight it is as stable as can be. Not a canyon crasher at all. In fact that's where I laid it down in the mountains. Hit a patch of sand hiding in the shadows.

I piss off a lot of riders that go behind me because I ride as if I don't know what's around that next corner, and tend to go the posted curve marker. If it's clear, and I've been over that route and CAN see everything, then I'll push it a bit more...like doing 55mph around a marked 15MPH - I nearly {censored} on myself on that one.

• Members

Jenks...be proud of the way you ride, man. As they always say in class, ride within your limits. And for the record, my cruising speed going to work is between 58 and 64mph while the cars are 65-80mph...dual lane highway all the way. If the 4 wheelers wanna go faster, they have the uninhibited right to go right around me. I don't get in their way, but I hold my ground. Safety first! We only have 2 wheels and I wanna keep the rubber side down!:thu:

Eatfire, I was always wondering if those big rear tires create more problems. Seems like that's getting to be a trend now-a-days...almost look like car tires...:thu:

• Members

I piss off a lot of riders that go behind me because I ride as if I don't know what's around that next corner, and tend to go the posted curve marker. If it's clear, and I've been over that route and CAN see everything, then I'll push it a bit more...like doing 55mph around a marked 15MPH - I nearly {censored} on myself on that one.

I couldn't agree more Jenks...gotta ride within the limits of the equipment or suffer the consequences. Lots of people in cages on two lane highways get pissed at me but I try to find a turn-out when possible and let them go. Hate tailgaters especially when on two wheels. If I'm in my pick-up I try to cover a bikes back. Although I cruse a little faster than Carm on my bike, I try to be safe.

Hey Carm What's the laws concerning splitting lanes in your state? Here in Calif. it's ok to go 15-mph faster than traffic in a jam just not faster than posted obviously. Do it sometimes. Scary!

• Members

Hey Carm What's the laws concerning splitting lanes in your state? Here in Calif. it's ok to go 15-mph faster than traffic in a jam just not faster than posted obviously. Do it sometimes. Scary!

We don't even allow lane splitting here, even though some of the sport bike guys do it pretty regularly. We've got some really scary crap going on here...new group called Delaware Street Killers. It's not like an outlaw gang, but rather a gang of stunt sport bike riders, who's sole purpose is to harass cops. They go flying own the road 110 to 150mph on one wheel...standing, riding the rockin chair...sometimes even at night with all the lights off. My thing is if they wanna kill themselves so be it...but they are doing it in traffic and even on the wrong side of the road...pretty wicked stuff...

http://www.myspace.com/destreetkillers

This kind of stuff really hurts the cause for bikers in my state...

• Members

Yeah, part of it is riding within my limits, part of it is not knowing where those limits are, and part of it is knowing what my tolerance/capacity is for pushing those limits.

That 55 through a 15 turn was a calculated risk and me being somewhat stupid. No traffic, I just went the other way 20 minutes prior (on my way back)...I figured I'd make it without issue, and since my lady wasn't on the back, it was a chance to push it without risking anyone but me...

I'll tell ya, nothing like getting that feeling of "oh {censored}, I'm not gonna make it" - losing focus and looking where you think you're going to end up, then have a gut check and remember "stop looking "there" and look further THROUGH that turn - get tunnel visioned and FOCUS on where you want to be..."

and you go through it, get a sizable adreneline rush, and think, {censored}, I'm not doing THAT again!!!

• Members

We don't even allow lane splitting here, even though some of the sport bike guys do it pretty regularly. We've got some really scary crap going on here...new group called Delaware Street Killers. It's not like an outlaw gang, but rather a gang of stunt sport bike riders, who's sole purpose is to harass cops. They go flying own the road 110 to 150mph on one wheel...standing, riding the rockin chair...sometimes even at night with all the lights off. My thing is if they wanna kill themselves so be it...but they are doing it in traffic and even on the wrong side of the road...pretty wicked stuff...

This kind of stuff really hurts the cause for bikers in my state...

Now this is wild!! We have a lot of outlaw bike gangs here. Even know a couple of guys who belong. Not my style. Not much of a joiner, or a follower. I don't think there are any organized clubs like this here but I do see a lot of guys on crotch rockets doing just what you describe on our freeways. I think it's the mystique of the bike. Every guy I know who has a crotch rocket rides that way. Even the guys who ride conservative, most of the time admit to doing crazy stuff just cause they can. No offense to those who have one but crotch rockets were built for one thing, the suicide mission of the canyons. It's the power to weight ratio and the balance. Lord knows I'd love to twist the throttle on one again but won't own one. Why? Cause I'd ride that way too! Ya think ckcondon rides his DUC that way?

• Members

We just had another fatality this past weekend here at the beach...a guy on a crotch rock was eluding the police....doing 110mph on rte 1...on one wheel at night...goes over the Rehoboth/Dewey Beach bridge (bridge is a small inclined bridge a couple of hundred feet long)...crests the bridge and on the way down from the bridge slams into a pontoon boat being towed by a car. Killed instantly... We have more deaths here this year than we have had last 2 years already...it's getting very weird.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Howdy guys, was riding my bike to the store and back this evening and remembered I had no pics of my bike yet. So I got out the digital camera and set it to take the best pics I could tonight. Please forgive the blury ones. Best thing is the night time engine effects lights show up better in these shots.

Yamaha 2006 V-Star 650cc

100_0695.jpg

100_0697.jpg

100_0698.jpg

If you would like to see more pics can click on the link and can also see pics of my drums and practice room which have already been posted on here.
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/twosticks69/?start=0

THANKS to all for your comments!! I have been riding about three weeks and is a blast! I get nervous at times when I'm in heavy traffic but I'm getting better. I still stall at some starts every now and then but not as much. I think the idle on my bike needs to be raised just a tad. My wife's bike is so much easier to start off in and runs like a Singer sewing machine. My bike runs really well too, but is colder natured at first start up.

My bike handles and cruises the road smoother than hers but hers is more nimble than mine. Hers is a 500cc though. Both bikes ride really well! Is like she has a Honda Civic bike and I have the Accord bike. Both are great, hers is more nimble and zippy, mine is more stable and has more power on the high end.

Also learning how a nice balmy sunny day in the 70's can be sorta cool on a ride. Night time and riding through the woods and by bodies of water can really cool things down. Riding past some trash cans and behind trash trucks can sure stink! Some cars have really noisy engines and brakes and can hear all kinds of other music and sounds. Also driving by resturants is like walking past the food booths at the fair, the food smell is everywhere!

Also I never knew there were so many bikers around here until I got a bike! Also they have this secret gesture with the two outer fingers (kinda like the Texas Longhorns gesture) pointing down.

I also went earlier tonight to a local burrito resturant's "Bike Night" tonight. My wife was sick so she didn't go. There had to be like at least 30 bikes! Most were Harleys but was also some bigger Yamahas, a Honda or two, a couple Ninja like bikes and was even a few really custom choppers. V-8 choppers was one, had a small block Chevy for an engine and the big raked front and so on. My bike fit right in but wasn't as clean as the others. I didn't stay long, just ate and left after talking to one guy. I felt kinda outta place because I can't talk shop with the hard core bikers.

ANyway, this is geting too long. Enjoy the pictures. Sorry so long and for the wait.

• Members

Looks like a sweet ride Stix...welcome to the world on two wheels. You keep the rubber side down man, be careful, watch out for the idiots with cell phones, and above all, have fun! We're getting colder up here and riding is becoming very selective lately.

I have a movie shoot on Sunday at one of the poker runs here on Delmarva...300-400 bikes at least...should be really interesting to say the least.

Oh, and by the way, you're out there now baby! All those smells and temperature pockets are really in your face now! Good luck, I still can't a handle on all that chicken fertilizer as I go by...eeeeewwwwwwww!!!!!

• Members

I am sure you will have a toy run in your area soon and I recommend you go (as long as you feel comfortable to ride with many bikes).

You will find that those who ride bikes all have that "something" that makes you feel like family. You will never meet nicer strangers that quickly become friends. And you will find ample opportunity to enjoy your scoot while doing something for others less fortunate. Like toy runs, benifit poker rides, Patriot Guard (I am a member and I recommend it highly)...

I have a Harley, but I am a motorcycle enthusiast...you'll never see me turning my nose up at someone on another manufacturer. Those people are like the Corvette drivers of motorcycling and are not true motorcycle enthusiasts.

• Members

Yeah, riding in Oklahoma...you have to watch out for:

1) Sand/gravel Trucks (get sand blasted)
2) Boaters (water, sand - great combo!)
3) Cement Trucks (mud, cement)
4) Garbage Trucks (stink)
5) Most Diesel Trucks (stink)
6) Horse Trailers (not quite the worst, but they like to "leak")
7) Cow haulers...(they love to piss and {censored}...and guess where that ends up!)

• Members

I love those big Hondas, whatever became of them? I know there weren't many made....was it only 1 year...

It was supposed to be only one year (2004), but production ran a little long so there were a few 2005's. Never got a hard number on how many were made, but estimated around 3500 total.

LOVE it.

Archived